Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rain FIXED LTE crippled now due to Rain mobile.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gtx Gaming View Post
    You could just use NNTP server over port 80 SSL and bypass any shaper

https://www.newsdemon.com/
    also a option, but I know the towers get pretty congested in the evenings, Ive had signal dropping,
    no signal almost, even crazy signal that connects and disconnects randomly.

so if it bothers you so much, just swap sims to telkom, and hopefully, things might get better.
    Bitcoin,Bitcoin, on the wall,

who's the wildest of them all?

Master
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on all the feedback here, its clear that rain is iBurst reborn.
    Will give it a skip methinks.
    *looks forward to getting FTTH*

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArtyLoop View Post
    Based on all the feedback here, its clear that rain is iBurst reborn.
    Will give it a skip methinks.
    *looks forward to getting FTTH*
    yes, acts EXACTLY like Iburst, nothing new here,
    used to it from iburst days.

FTTH is the best option, but not always available, and no consistent information,

one site search says yes, another says no, and another says its in the pipeline.
    so not everybody has such luxury where they live.

Master
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eg2505 View Post
    yes, acts EXACTLY like Iburst, nothing new here,
    used to it from iburst days.

FTTH is the best option, but not always available, and no consistent information,

one site search says yes, another says no, and another says its in the pipeline.
    so not everybody has such luxury where they live.
    Its going to take 12 months, but at least I have good ADSL coverage (tested it yesterday before signing lease)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArtyLoop View Post
    Its going to take 12 months, but at least I have good ADSL coverage (tested it yesterday before signing lease)
    so ADSL until FTTH? well if it works great, although that has its own issues.
    and you still paying for a landline that I assume you barely use.

so no solution is 100% great.

Master
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eg2505 View Post
    so ADSL until FTTH? well if it works great, although that has its own issues.
    and you still paying for a landline that I assume you barely use.

so no solution is 100% great.
    I had ADSL before, it worked very well until we had to move and then where I moved to, no landlines. So been suffering with LTE that's slow at Netflix hours.

It has its own issues but is still superior to this product.
    I used to have iBurst back in the day... I got rid of it for the same reasons people are complaining now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can all blame me I have twitch.tv streaming all day on auto I just take earphones off to talk to someone.

I have had no lag or any issues while watching twitch with TI quals on almost 24/7.
    I and the voice inside my head, which is actually my conscience, both agree that Jehovas partenalistic rulership is better than Satans liberal anarchy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quality of service of Rain ain't the same anymore.... Have to use F5 to load websites with no downloads running in the background...
    Loving technology&gadgets own a Samsung Galaxy S4, Ativ S , Apple iPad4 Cellular 64 GB, i7 ivy bridge - Porting Successful

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rain is really gone bad with poor speeds between 5pm and 11pm. Definitely the new LTE services launched is throttling us or to many people on my Rain tower

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi.

Just registered on these forums as I've been going nuts with this very same issue and wanted some input or advice and, well, seems I'm no the only one.

Have had Afrihost / Rain since around the end of April this year. At first: no issues whatsoever i.e. consistent speeds of between 45Mbps and 50Mbps (sometimes even a little more) at any time. And then, all of a sudden, about two weeks ago, I started noticing this very same thing i.e. from 6:00pm to 11:00pm (you can set your watch by it it's so consistent): download / upload drops to around 3Mbps / 1.5Mbps. And it is REALLY peeing me off (to say the least) i.e. I'm paying a small fortune for the service and, as I said, all was good until about two weeks ago. I've contacted Afrihost and they're of no help at all i.e. keep telling me to run speed tests and the like and that's about it.

The above being said there is something that I really do not understand:

I have two notebooks, a DStv Explora, two Samsung (Android) mobile phones, a Samsung SMART TV, and two (new) iPads all connected wirelessly to the router. When I run My Broadband's Speedtest APP on the phones and the iPads during this period (6:00pm to 11:00pm) I get these pathetic speeds being reported. The DStv Explora reports the same slow speeds during this period. HOWEVER: if I run My Broadband's Speedtest from their WEBSITE during this period (be it on the notebooks, mobiles phones, or iPads) the speed reported by the WEBSITE is usually anywhere between 35Mbps and 45Mbps during this period. Have also tested with Ookla and a variety of other speed tests and they all report the 35Mbps to 45Mbps speed during this period. In other words: during this period it's only the My Broadband APP and the DStv Explora that reports these dismal speeds during this period. Does this make sense to anyone??? What's REALLY odd: in spite of the mobile phones, the iPads, and the DStv Explora all reporting these dismal speeds during this period: Showmax, Netflix, YouTube, and all else APPEARS to be working perfectly i.e. there is no way I'd be watching HD if the speeds of 3Mbps / 1.5Mbps were genuine (and I got no HD issues whatsoever i.e. I've checked to make sure I'm seeing HD from the likes of YouTube and Netflix). So: what's the difference between the My Broadband Speedtest APP and the My Broadband online speed test (as well as Ookla) and the DStv Explora???

Regards,

Dale.

P.S. Just to be clear (my LONG explanation may be a bit confusing):

If I take an iPad, during the period 6:00pm and 11:00pm at night, and check speed using My Broadband's APP on the iPad then the speeds are down to the 3Mbps range but if I at the exact same time use a browser on the iPad and run My Broadband's ONLINE (WEB BASED) speed test then the speeds are (almost) at "normal" i.e. around 45Mbps or so. Doesn't make sense to me (unless the APP measures speed a different way) (although this would not account for the DStv Explora also seeing the slow speed during this period as there is no APP involved).

P.P.S. After posting the above yesterday I've had some more thoughts on the subject (but maybe some or the other expert around these parts can provide some input).

Is it at all possible that the My Broadband speed test APP (iPad and Android) is testing the speed from the device itself to (whatever) server whereas the My Broadband website is simply testing the speed between servers (and only sending the result / figures to the device)??? That's the only thing that would make sense to me at this stage. This being said and if this is indeed the case: UNFORTUNATELY it's the APP that's reporting the TRUE speed i.e. the speed between the device and the (whatever) server. In other words: it doesn't matter if the throughput between two servers (iBurst and Rain for example) is 1 000 000Mbps (slight exaggeration for effect) it's what the throughput is between your device and the server (Rain for example). It would also appear that whatever the case is with the APP vs. the website: the DStv Explora is also doing the "correct" test (because the throughput numbers always agree with the APP but not the website).

But from the title of this thread and from just reading some of the posts on other threads: it would appear that this issue has started because of some of the other "special" that Rain is running at this time (and basically just cannot cope because of the response). if this is indeed the case: it's f*****g disgusting. Why should I (we) be penalized because they cannot cope with the freebies that they're giving to attract new business (and it will not be long before those new customers also find out that all is not what it seems to be after they've signed up)??? And the real corker: the throttling or shaping (whatever it may be) that is taking place between 6:00pm and 11:00pm is being done at the exact same time as most people actually require the speed that they're actually paying for!!! Anyways: I've sent Afrhost the most blunt email I can muster up and pointed them to this thread as well. Let's see what happens (and something had better happen i.e. I am now on a mission. I've had issues with other service providers previously and nobody gives a darn because there's always new fodder to take my place. No more.).
    Last edited by dpaterson; 24-06-2018 at 11:17 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123