Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Advice with LTE?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Advice with LTE?

Hi guys,

So I've been dreading for a few weeks now to seek advice somewhere, so here goes:

I currently have a 4MB DSL line, managed by Mweb. As everyone knows, there are always problems with ADSL, for the past 2/3 months, my download speeds won't ever go above 2.5Mbps on a speedtest. This costs me either a phone call with Mweb, where they either recreate my port, or reset my profile, which fixes it, for a night or two at most. I've had 2 occasions where a Telkom technician was called out, "fixed" a problem at the exchange, works for a day or two, then goes back to step one.

The day before yesterday, I saw Mweb offers a month-to-month CellC LTE deal. The one thing that concerns me regarding this, is that Mweb's website says we have LTE coverage, but on my phone (CellC sim, Samsung S6 Edge) it never connects to LTE, I have strong 3G signal in the house, but nowhere inside do I get LTE reception. Does the router Mweb provide, Huawei B315, have stronger antennas that would receive sufficient signal?

I mostly use the internet for gaming, so I'm skeptical about leaving something that works inconsistently but still gets the job done, to get LTE which I'm worried about the reception.

Any advice/help would be appreciated.

Master
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you sure the problem with your ADSL is not ISP you use?
    I would look at that first i.e. getting another ISP (not MWEB or AFRIHOST) before writing off the ADSL line.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Afaik the Mweb Cell C LTE is "fixed LTE", so its a different network to what you are using in your phone.

The below thread might have more info for you regarding it:
    https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthr...fixed-quot-LTE

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v3n0m0uS View Post
    Hi guys,

So I've been dreading for a few weeks now to seek advice somewhere, so here goes:

I currently have a 4MB DSL line, managed by Mweb. As everyone knows, there are always problems with ADSL, for the past 2/3 months, my download speeds won't ever go above 2.5Mbps on a speedtest. This costs me either a phone call with Mweb, where they either recreate my port, or reset my profile, which fixes it, for a night or two at most. I've had 2 occasions where a Telkom technician was called out, "fixed" a problem at the exchange, works for a day or two, then goes back to step one.

The day before yesterday, I saw Mweb offers a month-to-month CellC LTE deal. The one thing that concerns me regarding this, is that Mweb's website says we have LTE coverage, but on my phone (CellC sim, Samsung S6 Edge) it never connects to LTE, I have strong 3G signal in the house, but nowhere inside do I get LTE reception. Does the router Mweb provide, Huawei B315, have stronger antennas that would receive sufficient signal?

I mostly use the internet for gaming, so I'm skeptical about leaving something that works inconsistently but still gets the job done, to get LTE which I'm worried about the reception.

Any advice/help would be appreciated.
    It's Fixed LTE so it connects to a different tower which you won't be able to pick with a normal Cell C SIM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sumen View Post
    It's Fixed LTE so it connects to a different tower which you won't be able to pick with a normal Cell C SIM.
    That's reassuring, thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArtyLoop View Post
    Are you sure the problem with your ADSL is not ISP you use?
    I would look at that first i.e. getting another ISP (not MWEB or AFRIHOST) before writing off the ADSL line.
    I've been with Afrihost before as well, problem got dragged along.

Everything started with the first thunderstorm we had in January, router got hit, replaced router, but ever since, line gives intermittent problems. Even if it just starts raining, my line starts dropping.

Only read now that you said except Afrihost, my bad. I'll try and get a trial account from someone just to test.
    Last edited by v3n0m0uS; 14-06-2018 at 10:29 AM.

+ Reply to Thread