Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: South Africans would rather have Netflix over DStv

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja'd View Post
    Speaking of, is HBO Go still not available for non-US citizens?
    Well you don't have to necessarily be a citizen, but yeah, US only as far as I'm aware. Would be a useless service here anyway what with Multichoice having the rights to the best HBO shows.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not buying this. MyBB geeks are not representative of SA by a long-shot.

SA is sport-crazy and most would pick DSTv over Netflix just for that, assuming they even know that Netflix is available in SA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_the_Brit View Post
    Yes I'm an Australian citizen.

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Knyro View Post

SA is sport-crazy and most would pick DSTv over Netflix just for that, assuming they even know that Netflix is available in SA.
    +1

Besides, we're a noisy, blustery people when it comes to words. When it comes down to forking out cash, the subscriber numbers say something else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by satanboy View Post
    Netflix doesn't have sport.

I am confused.

Lets compare a Jeep to a Sherman Tank why don't we?
    Spot the non tech-savy Mybb member, lol..

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It says tech savy, aka nerds who know nothing about a scrum, offiside and no balls.
    About about the massive soccer and rugby fanatics, who don't know about Netflix and streaming.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Knyro View Post

+100

They assume setting up a media player with proxy/vpn etc & hooking it up to your HT system is something simple everybody can do. Average joe just wants to plonk his ass down on the couch and flip channels on his remote while sipping on his beer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome
    Last edited by ponder; 14-06-2018 at 07:41 PM.
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    +1

Besides, we're a noisy, blustery people when it comes to words. When it comes down to forking out cash, the subscriber numbers say something else.
    What does the declining number of premium subscribers say?
    "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." FM Arouet
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown
    Even duct tape can’t fix stupid… but it can muffle the sound

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bwana View Post
    What does the declining number of premium subscribers say?
    Bond and car payments beginning to bite.

Master
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Temujin View Post
    Many many many don't care about watching sport
    Lies, DSTV premium is only kept alive by SS1 and SS2
    [You're out there, wearing that goofy thing, lightin' up cars, calling yourself the Shocker! "I'm the Shocker! I shock people! What is this, Pro Wrestling?"]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok so what is so great about Netflix other than it is cheap?
    Does it have as much content as DSTV? Yes I know DSTV has lots of repeats but that is great if I haven't seen the shows or if I have there is other stuff to watch.
    Does it have almost every show on catchup so I can watch it whenever I want? This includes the extra content via internet and Showmax.
    Am I able to watch all shows in HD? Unlikely since my 3.5mb connection is not fast enough.
    Can my family watch Netflix shows while I am engaged in online gaming or downloading on my pc? Again unlikely on my 3.5mb connection which is the fastest available where I live.
    Are the Netflix shows better than what is on DSTV because I enjoy the shows on offer by DSTV.
    As far as I can tell the only thing it has going for it is price which is irrelevant to me.
    Can anyone tell me how it is a better choice? The votes indicate that it is but if the majority of the voters can't afford DSTV then it is skewed voting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not if you watch all your shows through catchup that way you have zero adds. Also worth adding the wifi connector so you get everything and more on catchup.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Respawn View Post
    Ok so what is so great about Netflix other than it is cheap?
    Does it have as much content as DSTV? Yes I know DSTV has lots of repeats but that is great if I haven't seen the shows or if I have there is other stuff to watch.
    Does it have almost every show on catchup so I can watch it whenever I want? This includes the extra content via internet and Showmax.
    Am I able to watch all shows in HD? Unlikely since my 3.5mb connection is not fast enough.
    Can my family watch Netflix shows while I am engaged in online gaming or downloading on my pc? Again unlikely on my 3.5mb connection which is the fastest available where I live.
    Are the Netflix shows better than what is on DSTV because I enjoy the shows on offer by DSTV.
    As far as I can tell the only thing it has going for it is price which is irrelevant to me.
    Can anyone tell me how it is a better choice? The votes indicate that it is but if the majority of the voters can't afford DSTV then it is skewed voting.
    Some strawman arguments there. 3.5Mbps is enough for 720p on Netflix, which uses around 3Mbps. That's comparable to DSTV's so-called 'HD' quality.

People don't love Netflix purely because it's relatively cheap - they love it for the wealth of content and enormous selection of original shows. Netflix has invested $8+bn into its content in 2018 alone. They're serious players in the entertainment space. 'Catch-up' is an irrelevant concept to video-on-demand. You simply play content whenever it suits you.

You can stream Netflix whilst gaming, as gaming doesn't use much bandwidth unless you're downloading updates. Obviously you can't download whilst streaming Netflix unless you restrict the download speed.

Claiming that the service sucks because your internet sucks is hardly much of an argument. If you diverted the thousand bucks you spend a month on DSTV Premium to an LTE-based connection then you would have the bandwidth available for 1080p (or 4K, seeing as price is irrelevant to you) streaming, as well as the benefit of better internet which affects your overall quality of life and provides support for many other streaming services.

I have 100Mbps uncapped fibre and DSTV Premium. The only thing I use DSTV for is F1, football, golf and tennis (and the Olympics every two years). Literally nothing else whatsoever. Whereas Netflix provides 90+% of my TV entertainment. I don't even watch the few series I like that are on DSTV because the quality isn't 1080p and I'd rather download them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for replying.
    I have watched 720p DSTV content via it's streaming service and there is a vast difference in quality compared to full HD.
    I don't see how I can stream Netflix and play lets say Project Cars 2 at the same time without suffering lag spikes and the streaming being compromised if I can't do it with DSTV.
    There is a wealth of original content and older content on DSTV.
    Using catch up is pretty much the same thing as video on demand.
    I never said Netflix sucks I asked how it could be better for me.
    As for my internet well 3.5mps is as fast as it gets and there are no plans to add fiber at any speed in my neighborhood. LTE is out as well since I can only pick up 3 bars of 2G. Maybe I should sell my house and move lol.

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Respawn View Post
    Thanks for replying.
    I have watched 720p DSTV content via it's streaming service and there is a vast difference in quality compared to full HD.
    I don't see how I can stream Netflix and play lets say Project Cars 2 at the same time without suffering lag spikes and the streaming being compromised if I can't do it with DSTV.
    There is a wealth of original content and older content on DSTV.
    Using catch up is pretty much the same thing as video on demand.
    I never said Netflix sucks I asked how it could be better for me.
    As for my internet well 3.5mps is as fast as it gets and there are no plans to add fiber at any speed in my neighborhood. LTE is out as well since I can only pick up 3 bars of 2G. Maybe I should sell my house and move lol.
    Why don't you sign up for the free month of Netflix. Then you can see for yourself.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want/have Netflix, you have an internet connection.

If you want to watch the odd sporting event, you can very easily find it pirate stream somewhere, or buy a weekend/day pass for the event you want to watch (e.g. MotoGP).

The conclusion is that the days of someone, who has a internet connection, needing DStv because of "Sport" are long gone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast