Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Eskom says power supply constrained, as unions threaten to shut off electricity

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You really believe that the union leaders do everything they can to ensure the protests are peaceful and non destructive, and they're genuinely shocked and disbelieving each time a strike turns violent?

Pull the other one, it has bells on.
    Quote Originally Posted by sajunky View Post
    It is a Chrismas time, animals speak human language, deamons speak through the humans, it is normal. Honesty is the way we can combat it.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thechamp View Post
    It is you guys who are being obtuse and emotional, but I know all sense of logic and rational thinking is thrown out of the window everytime the word union or protest is mentioned on this forum, "shoot them on sight", "arrest them for blocking access to roads", unless of course it is the farmers blocking roads then everything changes, "but they are not burning anything or vandalizing".

I do understand.
    I'm suuuure you do.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why can't you guys talk like this^^ guy?
    Because you constantly choose to generalize, conflate, obstruct, make excuses and generally defend barbarous behaviour. We see you.
    It is a Chrismas time, animals speak human language, deamons speak through the humans, it is normal. Honesty is the way we can combat it.

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thestaggy View Post
    Read both articles. The prosecuted ''grunts'' gave evidence and that is what led to the leader being brought down.

Are you trying to infer that the average Eskom worker will just decide to go on strike and sabotage a sub-station without taking the lead from union leaders? Union leaders in their own words make threats, they know what is going on because they are orchestrating it.

Andrew Chirwa knows what is going on. Leaders are not guilty by association, they are guilty because they are organising and orchestrating everything.
    Let me ask you, by Chirwa saying that can you go to court and argue that Chirwa is saying they will sabotage the electricity infrastructure? Yes you can, what if Chirwa says I just meant we will sit at home and don't come to work, is it not obvious that if you have faults in the network and no one is doing anything to fix them then you don't have lights?

I am no lawyer or legal expert but please, emotions don't go well with trying to formulate a reasonable argument.
    I am of a nation that would not allow that fear of death, of torture, of imprisonment, of exile or persecution should result in the perpetuation of injustice.

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sinbad View Post
    Because you constantly choose to generalize, conflate, obstruct, make excuses and generally defend barbarous behaviour. We see you.
    Okay then.
    I am of a nation that would not allow that fear of death, of torture, of imprisonment, of exile or persecution should result in the perpetuation of injustice.

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let me ask you, by Chirwa saying that can you go to court and argue that Chirwa is saying they will sabotage the electricity infrastructure? Yes you can, what if Chirwa says I just meant we will sit at home and don't come to work, is it not obvious that if you have faults in the network and no one is doing anything to fix them then you don't have lights?

I am no lawyer or legal expert but please, emotions don't go well with trying to formulate a reasonable argument.
    What I am saying is; union leaders know what is going on, something you earlier argued they did not. To paraphrase; you claimed that unions and their leaders are not responsible for what a random mob are doing. These are not random mobs and the unions and their leaders know what they are doing because they have openly threatened to shut the country down (and this isn't the first time either), so there is no coincidence when a sub-station goes offline.

As the articles I linked from a ''civilised country'' - as you put it - proved, where there is a will to go after unions and their leaders there is a way. Sadly, there is no will to do this in SA. The powers that be won't touch the unions due to the political ramifications, so they let them run amok, holding the country ransom.

And yes, some of us do tend to get emotional about this because it has a direct impact on our lives. It is a massive inconvenience when the power goes out and in many cases it adds an extra financial burden as you have to invest in contingencies (generators, fuel, gas, solar, order food instead of being able to cook, etc).
    Last edited by thestaggy; 15-06-2018 at 08:37 AM.
    Ottoman cannons can't destroy Byzantine walls. 1453 was an inside job.

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly.
    He thinks no one sees through his BS.
    Anyway...

As for the union leaders:
    They are the ones inciting the violence.

"Mass hysteria" doesn't just "happen" out of nowhere.
    Violence inciting ringleaders -instructed by their handlers, no doubt- coupled with uneducated masses = recipe for disaster.

This whole thing is already completely out of control. (Rioting disguised as "protests". Oh please. The mere fact that it's still called "protesting" is a dead giveaway.)
    The government can't stop it -even if they wanted to.
    The only thing they can do is ride the wave as far as they can, until it all comes crashing down.

Arrest the union leaders, risk losing votes, resulting in loss of power? (No pun intended.)
    That'll be the day.

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eskom confirmed that threats and intimidation by unions were the cause of the constrained power supply which led to two hours of load shedding. The power utility said that unions blocked operations at power stations, while threatening the families and children of workers. The unions have said that this is just the beginning. [City Press]
    https://businesstech.co.za/news/busi...ica-today-325/

National Union of Metalworkers president Andrew Chirwa said Thursday’s protests were a mere warning of what was to come.
    https://city-press.news24.com/News/e...ident-20180614

I mean...this is what he said...the president of the union...the guy in charge.
    It's not like they don't know who he is or where he lives.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sl8er View Post
    https://businesstech.co.za/news/busi...ica-today-325/

https://city-press.news24.com/News/e...ident-20180614

I mean...this is what he said...the president of the union...the guy in charge.
    It's not like they don't know who he is or where he lives.
    My point exactly. TheChamp seems to think I'm generalising about protests. I am talking about this specific instance. Crack HARD down on the union leadership who condone and incite this. Maybe some lessons will be learned and we'll have less destruction going forward, if an organisation is held accountable for what its members get up to during an official "event"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Easy. The union leaders are well known. Arrest them for treason and economic sabotage
    They control to many votes.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HendrieV View Post
    They control to many votes.
    That should be entirely irrelevant.

They have committed a crime with their utterances and they have potentially put the energy security of the entire country at risk. There NEEDS to be consequences for this type of behaviour.
    Quote Originally Posted by MidnightWizard View Post
    I must be retarded then

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The silence from the president (sic) is deafening. Is he visiting Dubai?
    You only get one chance to piss off a client. After that they are an ex client ...

SmoothOokerMaximus The_Librarian's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ToxicBunny View Post
    That should be entirely irrelevant.

They have committed a crime with their utterances and they have potentially put the energy security of the entire country at risk. There NEEDS to be consequences for this type of behaviour.
    Agreed.
    500th anniversary of the Protestant Reformation has passed.

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxibox View Post
    That's exactly it. Businesses can be pigheaded and exploitative. It's the reason unions came into existence. But the behaviour of unions in cases like this is completely counterproductive. The same goes for holding out for some unreasonable increase then settling for barely more than the employer originally offered. The workers have lost more money than they gained.

Both sides need to drop the adversarial attitude and learn to co-operate.
    It's even worse when you considered that as an officially recognized "essential service" the employees of Eskom are by law not allowed to strike as a form of protest since it will generally interrupt the essential service. I consider it a sad reflection of the health of law and order in this country that such vital laws are not enforced. It's in the contracts of these employees. The clause is enshrined in law as any practical person might reasonably expect.

Yet they are allowed to get away with it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345