Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heavy shaping of Rain Lte since rain Mobile Launch!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Heavy shaping of Rain Lte since rain Mobile Launch!

So all of a sudden (since rain mobile launch) Afrihost heavily shapes my capped data in the evenings, basically the only time i use it! General drop in speeds as well! @AfriMan wil this be permanent ? if so i wil have to make alternative arrangments.
    "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Afrihost Representative AfriMan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dee4dog View Post
    So all of a sudden (since rain mobile launch) Afrihost heavily shapes my capped data in the evenings, basically the only time i use it! General drop in speeds as well! @AfriMan wil this be permanent ? if so i wil have to make alternative arrangments.
    We're definitely not shaping any data from our side. We don't have direct access to RAIN's network, but it's possible that a whack of new users on the network might initially have an effect. But RAIN will be monitoring and upgrading as required to that performance is consistent.
    If AfriMan says it, it is so!

If you asked an excellent question, please post on Answers!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@AfriMan thank you for the response. Then it is rain shaping form their side. Pitty they are not as responsive as you, so it safe to say we are stuck with shaped trafic during evenings, not a happy camper!!!

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dee4dog View Post
    @AfriMan thank you for the response. Then it is rain shaping form their side. Pitty they are not as responsive as you, so it safe to say we are stuck with shaped trafic during evenings, not a happy camper!!!
    I wouldn't say that. They are definitely monitoring closely - it would be impossible to predict which areas will have the most growth. But we've seen them being very quick to react to increases in demand by upgrading area infrastructure and we've seen many clients only see slow speeds due to congestion for a relatively short period of time.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shaping /= tower congestion
    Importing made easy!

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So 6pm comes around.. and fixed LTE users get shaped to death?
    Why???
    IF rain mobile users can't use their "uncapped off peak" data at this time then they definitely aren't using the network.
    So whats the point?
    You guys are the one we are paying for the service, maybe you should make sure its working properly.
    VOX my new favorite ISP

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bboy View Post
    So 6pm comes around.. and fixed LTE users get shaped to death?
    Why???
    IF rain mobile users can't use their "uncapped off peak" data at this time then they definitely aren't using the network.
    So whats the point?
    You guys are the one we are paying for the service, maybe you should make sure its working properly.
    Not reading the whole thread are we?

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J0n0 View Post
    Not reading the whole thread are we?
    You assumed.. and you were wrong.
    VOX my new favorite ISP

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, if you guys are getting shaped, why aren't you mentioning which protocols you're being shaped on? Come on, don't be shy.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CataclysmZA View Post
    Honestly, if you guys are getting shaped, why aren't you mentioning which protocols you're being shaped on? Come on, don't be shy.
    I don't think congestion should be conflated with shaping. Shaping is deliberate slowing down of specific protocols. Congestion will have an unpredictable effect on random services, as demand fluctuates.

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AfriMan View Post
    I don't think congestion should be conflated with shaping. Shaping is deliberate slowing down of specific protocols. Congestion will have an unpredictable effect on random services, as demand fluctuates.
    True, but what we're seeing here is that Rain is prioritising certain protocols during peak/Netflix time, and users that are complaining about the shaping aren't saying what protocols they're having an issue with, or what speeds they're getting. Youtube 4K for example is deprioritised during peak time, sticking to 1080p between 6PM and 11PM, going back to full speed after 11PM. Apart from people being stuck on the 1800MHz band because their devices don't do CA, I don't think this is congestion. It's definitely shaping.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True, but what we're seeing here is that Rain is prioritising certain protocols during peak/Netflix time, and users that are complaining about the shaping aren't saying what protocols they're having an issue with, or what speeds they're getting. Youtube 4K for example is deprioritised during peak time, sticking to 1080p between 6PM and 11PM, going back to full speed after 11PM. Apart from people being stuck on the 1800MHz band because their devices don't do CA, I don't think this is congestion. It's definitely shaping.
    I don't have insight into their Quality of Service policies, so I couldn't say for sure. Though I think they wouldn't actively shape (especially real time services) without being up front about that.

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AfriMan View Post
    I don't have insight into their Quality of Service policies, so I couldn't say for sure. Though I think they wouldn't actively shape (especially real time services) without being up front about that.
    I've seen some reports that things like streaming to Twitch are affected, but I've never seen anyone complain about Skype or other video chat services. No-one's posting anything about Netflix either, though there is a thread here on the Rain subforum with fixed LTE users complaining about shaping during peak times even for gaming.

https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthr...to-Rain-mobile

And getting information out of Rain currently is like drawing blood out of a stone. I think that, at the very least, you guys should be investigating this on your end and seeing what you can do about it, because it's your brand that's attached to Rain because you're a reseller.

I'm still going to be getting my SIM next month anyway for testing the network.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've seen some reports that things like streaming to Twitch are affected, but I've never seen anyone complain about Skype or other video chat services. No-one's posting anything about Netflix either, though there is a thread here on the Rain subforum with fixed LTE users complaining about shaping during peak times even for gaming.

https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthr...to-Rain-mobile

And getting information out of Rain currently is like drawing blood out of a stone. I think that, at the very least, you guys should be investigating this on your end and seeing what you can do about it, because it's your brand that's attached to Rain because you're a reseller.

I'm still going to be getting my SIM next month anyway for testing the network.
    This is certainly something that we are not ignoring as the quality of service for our clients is very important to us and we have heard each and every complaint. I can assure that we are always chatting with Rain to bring certain things to thire attention as we know that they also want the best for their clients too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@AfriMan and @AfriNatic it would be great if you can find out from them (as I have had no luck whatsoever) if this would be a permanent situation. This is definitely shaping! If it is permanant i wil have to investigate other providers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast