Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heavy shaping of Rain Lte since rain Mobile Launch!

Afrihost Representative AfriMan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dee4dog View Post
    @AfriMan and @AfriNatic it would be great if you can find out from them (as I have had no luck whatsoever) if this would be a permanent situation. This is definitely shaping! If it is permanant i wil have to investigate other providers.
    I really doubt that they are actively shaping, as it's an unshaped product. Shaping would also affect all users on the network, as you can't shape regionally (at least not in the way I understand they've setup their network). So I do believe this is a local demand issue, which means it is definitely not permanent.
    If AfriMan says it, it is so!

If you asked an excellent question, please post on Answers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@AfriMan trust me they are actively shaping. Let me explain, p2p traffic throttled to exactly 100kB/s on both 1800MHz and 2600MHz, no fluctuation. Between exactly 18h00 and 23h00. At exactly 23h00 speeds shoots up. Congestion(demand) would not do this. I'm not the only user reporting this, and you should be able to see it from your side. Im not sure shaping is regionally or localy possible though
    Last edited by dee4dog; 18-06-2018 at 09:03 PM.
    "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@AfriMan trust me they are actively shaping. Let me explain, p2p traffic throttled to exactly 100kB/s on both 1800MHz and 2600MHz, no fluctuation. Between exactly 18h00 and 23h00. At exactly 23h00 speeds shoots up. Congestion(demand) would not do this. I'm not the only user reporting this, and you should be able to see it from your side. Im not sure shaping is regionally or localy possible though
    Yep same problem. If they keeps this up they will lose many clients. I am already eyeing the Cell C offer might upgrade the package while I am at it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can confirm this. I'm on rain mobile and when testing this is what they did during peak. Otherwise was full speed. They are probably applying their shaping to all traffic whereas they should maybe exclude for the onsellers.
    Neo-Luddite - Permanent Darwin award candidates

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

iBurst used to heavily restrict bittorrent traffic until midnight, and then they would open the taps until 06:00, so RAIN definitely have the technology to do this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is just getting better and better downloading 984mb game patch and its taking 1H36m to download?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12