Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.


+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: What Google knows about you for its targeted ads

  1. #1
    MyBroadband Newsfeed
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    4,624
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default What Google knows about you for its targeted ads

    What Google knows about you for its targeted ads

    Google has improved its ad personalisation platform which shows users what info is used about them for targeted ads.

    The ad personalisation platform also makes it easier for users to change this personal information and reduce targeted ads linked to this info.

  2. #2
    Active Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    97
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Just use an add-on like Adblock on desktop if you use Chrome and something like Brave Browser on mobile. No ads to be seen anywhere, and no 3rd party cookies or trackers. Don't use Chrome for mobile, Google doesn't allow ad blocking on it. Do it and you'll be thanking me.
    Last edited by InfidelGastro; 16-06-2018 at 08:32 AM.

  3. #3
    Super Grandmaster supersunbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Garsfontein, Pretoria
    Posts
    42,051
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    “If you use this browser plugin, the same number of ads will appear on websites that you look at. The plugin turns off ads personalisation. Turning off personalisation makes ads less relevant to you,” it said.
    Great, cause if have to see "relevant ads" for cellphones for weeks after I have already bought one, that would be awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by saor View Post
    saor is a dumbass

  4. #4
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Little Karoo
    Posts
    22,023
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Just don't use Google. They're an advertising company and make >90% of their money off advertising. You're the product they sell to advertisers. Anyone with two braincells knows Google aren't in the least interested in reducing advertising. They want more of it. And they'll do everything they can to make sure more adverts get through to your eyes.

    Most people don't seem to mind the Google deal: They give you free stuff and goodies on the net, and you give them your profile and eyes.

    I'm not one of them.
    Last edited by Arthur; 16-06-2018 at 09:49 AM.

  5. #5
    Super Grandmaster Bryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    PE
    Posts
    12,370
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Just don't use Google. They're an advertising company and make >90% of their money off advertising. You're the product they sell to advertisers. Anyone with two braincells knows Google aren't in the least interested in reducing advertising. They want more of it. And they'll do everything they can to make sure more adverts get through to your eyes.

    Most people don't seem to mind the Google deal: They give you free stuff and goodies on the net, and you give them your profile and eyes.

    I'm not one of them.
    And use what else exactly? Bing or Duck? Google search is by miles the best from my experience. And Google Assistant in Android is amazing. Google Earth is epic. Youtube is Youtube. No gallery app holds a candle to Google Photos, which excels in UI, touch ups and free unlimited cloud storage.

    Hard to just abandon them.

  6. #6
    Super Grandmaster evilstebunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Toorsburg
    Posts
    17,281
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by supersunbird View Post
    Great, cause if have to see "relevant ads" for cellphones for weeks after I have already bought one, that would be awesome.
    Google doesn't know your search for '210 liter freezer' led you to buying one a month ago, and is still showing you your options..

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Farm with a sea view
    Posts
    115
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Adblock is a thing


    Can't remember the last time I saw an ad.

  8. #8
    Super Grandmaster supersunbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Garsfontein, Pretoria
    Posts
    42,051
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by evilstebunny View Post
    Google doesn't know your search for '210 liter freezer' led you to buying one a month ago, and is still showing you your options..
    Yes, thus it's stupid and why targeted ads are stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by saor View Post
    saor is a dumbass

  9. #9
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    5,316
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Targeted adds instead of adds selling feminine hygiene products any time thanks.
    All my posts should be treated as sarcasm unless stipulated otherwise.

  10. #10
    Super Grandmaster Dan C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Beacon Bay (EL)
    Posts
    15,038
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn View Post
    And use what else exactly? Bing or Duck? Google search is by miles the best from my experience. And Google Assistant in Android is amazing. Google Earth is epic. Youtube is Youtube. No gallery app holds a candle to Google Photos, which excels in UI, touch ups and free unlimited cloud storage.

    Hard to just abandon them.
    Ah I miss Aardvark

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aardvark_(search_engine)
    I never apologise. I’m sorry, that’s just the way I am.

  11. #11
    Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    JHB
    Posts
    2,961
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I looked at ladies swimwear on bid or buy once and then my targeted ads started showing models in swimwear and lingerie. Now I do the odd browse to keep that in my recent search history and I've never been happier with my targeted ads.

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Targeted attacks
    By dazzazzad in forum Networking and Security
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-09-2016, 08:32 PM
  2. Google HQ targeted in violent attacks
    By Kevin Lancaster in forum Broadband and IT News
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-07-2016, 03:38 PM
  3. NSA spying targeted Google network: report
    By rpm in forum Broadband and IT News
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-09-2013, 08:55 AM
  4. Targeted Advertising and spam by Google?
    By Keeper in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 26-01-2012, 02:23 PM
  5. My house just got targeted.
    By Grep in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 25-07-2011, 09:17 AM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •