Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RHCE (Red hat certified engineer)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default RHCE (Red hat certified engineer)

Anyone here written the RHCE exam lately?

I'm writing end of July and have to pass... my RHCSA expires end of July.

Any tips or suggestions for the exam?

Cheers

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wrote last year (2nd attempt) and passed. I'm going for RHCA and have 4 exams remaining to complete it.

1.) Make sure you know your **** (really! If you can't do it via muscle memory you'll be too slow).
    2.) If you can't remember syntax then know where to find examples and QUICKLY.
    3.) Train on multiple versions of 7.x as some things change between them for certain services.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All I can say is take a minute or three and read ALL the questions and then plan how you are going to approach them.

Don't do it in the order it's presented and choose your strengths to focus on first where you know you can put in the most points.

I got ****ed by doing things in the listed order and that doesn't work.

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SauRoNZA View Post
    All I can say is take a minute or three and read ALL the questions and then plan how you are going to approach them.

Don't do it in the order it's presented and choose your strengths to focus on first where you know you can put in the most points.

I got ****ed by doing things in the listed order and that doesn't work.
    Yep +1.

Did you pass the second time round as well?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jsheed_sa View Post
    Yep +1.

Did you pass the second time round as well?
    Nope haven't done it again.

Baby has kind of ****ed up my year so they better not come with any *** about my voucher having expired or some nonsense as I expect from Torque IT.

Must make an effort to go do it in August.

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SauRoNZA View Post
    Nope haven't done it again.

Baby has kind of ****ed up my year so they better not come with any *** about my voucher having expired or some nonsense as I expect from Torque IT.

Must make an effort to go do it in August.
    I'm sure you'll do fine now that you know what to look out for.

Best of luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you so much guys, I will make sure I read the questions and then get the base configuration done first.

I noticed last night while studying that the command to add slaves to a network team is different in newer version of RHEL7 - so luckily found that.

With regards to the scripting, do I need to know it really well? This part has me quite scared, I do script everyday basically but it's not something that I need to do with a time limit.. eish.

Currently I am working through the RHCE videos by Sander Van Vugt, I have his lab with the 3VM's setup so I am practicing on there, got about a month left to practice.

Will it be possible to pass first time? Seeing that I only have this one chance lol.. And I need to fly to JHB for the exam as no one in CPT ever takes it

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Robvd View Post
    Thank you so much guys, I will make sure I read the questions and then get the base configuration done first.

I noticed last night while studying that the command to add slaves to a network team is different in newer version of RHEL7 - so luckily found that.

With regards to the scripting, do I need to know it really well? This part has me quite scared, I do script everyday basically but it's not something that I need to do with a time limit.. eish.

Currently I am working through the RHCE videos by Sander Van Vugt, I have his lab with the 3VM's setup so I am practicing on there, got about a month left to practice.

Will it be possible to pass first time? Seeing that I only have this one chance lol.. And I need to fly to JHB for the exam as no one in CPT ever takes it
    1.) I wrote my first exam in CPT / 2nd in JHB (as CPT didn't have dates).
    2.) I used Sander's materials (not his VM's though) for RHCE - they're worth the money.
    3.) Passing first time - sure, but the percentage of first time passers is small. Something like <30%. I'd say here that it depends heavily on your time management / previous experience.
    4.) Bash scripting in the list of requirements, so you may need to be able to perform some tasks. That being said it wouldn't be my main concern - there's far more to this exam than this one topic.
    Last edited by jsheed_sa; 26-06-2018 at 09:56 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1.) I wrote my first exam in CPT / 2nd in JHB (as CPT didn't have dates).
    2.) I used Sander's materials (not his VM's though) for RHCE - they're worth the money.
    3.) Passing first time - sure, but the percentage of first time passers is small. Something like <30%. I'd say here that it depends heavily on your time management / previous experience.
    4.) Bash scripting in the list of requirements, so you may need to be able to perform some tasks. That being said it wouldn't be my main concern - there's far more to this exam than this one topic.
    Thank you so much for the reply.

If I may ask... If you were to write again, what would you focus extra hard on? From my research NFS and Samba seems to be Super important?

Cheers

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Robvd View Post
    Thank you so much for the reply.

If I may ask... If you were to write again, what would you focus extra hard on? From my research NFS and Samba seems to be Super important?

Cheers
    There's an NDA so I can't disclose much, but personally I found NFS to be the hardest topic (mainly as I hadn't done Kerborized NFS before).

I'd head over to CertDepot and take a look and see what you do / don't feel comfortable with. I've commented and added some tips for the RHCE there previously as well.

https://www.certdepot.net/rhel7-rhce-exam-objectives/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's an NDA so I can't disclose much, but personally I found NFS to be the hardest topic (mainly as I hadn't done Kerborized NFS before).

I'd head over to CertDepot and take a look and see what you do / don't feel comfortable with. I've commented and added some tips for the RHCE there previously as well.

https://www.certdepot.net/rhel7-rhce-exam-objectives/
    Shot thanks man, will take a look. appreciate it

+ Reply to Thread