Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Telkom LTE-A Data Usage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down Telkom LTE-A Data Usage

I signed up from a 4MB uncapped ADSL service to a capped 100GB anytime and 100GB Night surfer LTE-A Promo in April 2018. My son plays Xbox online occasionally and I do not video stream any movies like Showmax or DSTV Catch Up plus.

I am astonished that the 100 GB Data cap was reached by the 16th of the month which I found highly suspicious. Despite this and severe pressure from my family, I topped up 20 GB on 18th June 2018. To my amazement it was already depleted by the 21st!! I then topped up 10 GB on 25th and it was out of data by the 27th. This has cost an additional R604 and I find this incredibly hard to comprehend that Data can be consumed so rapidly? This feels like is a complete rip-off!!

I have tried unsuccessfully to call Telkom Help 081180 3 times and the online chat 4 times . Either they cut you off when you mention LTE Data is disappearing or they cannot assist as the system is offline and call back in an hour. Telkom will not revert back to the original ADSL contract as is evidenced in the Telkom community forum by other members. I am now stuck with this LTE-A contract for 24 months and it feel as if am been fleeced by Telkom. Why is the support so pathetic? Does anyone really give a damn at Telkom? Can anything be done or experienced similar?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by podhav View Post
    My son plays Xbox online occasionally...
    There are two potential sources of your problem. An Xbox One can go through a huge amount of data with automatic updates. A child is not data aware, so can easily use lots of data without realising it. My household gets through 500GB in a month of which the Xbox One has used 100GB this month alone.

You really can't blame Telkom until you measure what is being used to see where it is going, especially when there are multiple users involved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SDM View Post
    There are two potential sources of your problem. An Xbox One can go through a huge amount of data with automatic updates. A child is not data aware, so can easily use lots of data without realising it. My household gets through 500GB in a month of which the Xbox One has used 100GB this month alone.

You really can't blame Telkom until you measure what is being used to see where it is going, especially when there are multiple users involved.
    This ^ - i Know XB1 relies heavily on online content - whether it is free or paid-for DLCs so it is likely the games and machine just chowed through the data.

FWIW you can get an extra 100GB + 100GB for +/- 750 on your contract if you topup from the app / website
    Food & Liquor; The Cool
    Lasers
    Food & Liquor II: The Great American Rap Album
    Tetsuo and Youth

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a router installed with a speed limiting profile for my house's devices to throttle lower priority device traffic like consoles and phones exactly because these devices consider wifi to be a free-for-all data buffet
    50% off 1 month Afrihost Uncapped here
    Speak to me about Priority after-hours technical support and remote maintenance (Server and Desktop support)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SDM View Post

The Fact Remains that the service Telkom render though is well below par. I guess i have the same issue as per below thread:

https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthr...E-Night-surfer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by podhav View Post
    The Fact Remains that the service Telkom render though is well below par. I guess i have the same issue as per below thread:

https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthr...E-Night-surfer
    I think you are conflating issues here. I have never had an issue with day/night data allocation and usage.

The issue is that there is something on your network using your data (day or night) and you need to isolate that. You original issue didn't reference night data just that data was finishing
    Food & Liquor; The Cool
    Lasers
    Food & Liquor II: The Great American Rap Album
    Tetsuo and Youth

Master
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Plays Xbox online" is pretty vague. There are lots of things on there can that can eat up 100GB in no time. You should see what my Steam library can do with just game updates, not even mentioning a game download can be 50GB or more.

+ Reply to Thread