Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rain Dashboard

Grandmaster
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by namzsteve View Post
    I am so sorry for this but I really want to get this for my parents but hell I don't get how it works til now, could someone please kindly explain it in non-IT terms;

23:00-18:00 - R250 unlimited data OR R50 per GB if I don't take out the R250
    18:00-23:00 - R250 (First 15 days are free)

Please correct me
    18:00 - 23:00 peak time - charged at 5c/MB end of month. You can set your limit at a minimum of R50 which is 1GB.
    23:00 - 18:00 off-peak time at R250 unlimited data.

**First time you order, you are charged R120 for delivery/sim to which first 15 days is free to use. No off-peak/peak, 24/7.
    unofficial mybroadband Telegram 5000 group challenge. Dare to enter the crazy?? Details [thread] to be coming soon...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find it hard to believe I have used so much in 6 days - A linux distro here and there and mostly youtube and twitch. But even on youtube I cannot get 4k. I guess when it rains on my end it pours. Thanks Rain. Will continue this relationship next month.

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-07-06 at 1.06.41 PM.png
Views: 135
Size:  35.9 KB

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm probably going to get flamed for this but 200gb+ in just 6 days is excessive guys....

That means you guys will reach 1TB at the end of the month give or take. Honestly I don't think Rain will keep it like that. It's LTE afterall and if you were on a 100Mbps openserve fibre line with Mweb you would have been throttled @350gb already.

Just something to think about. My guess would be caps or strict fup introduced by end of next month...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cavedog View Post
    I'm probably going to get flamed for this but 200gb+ in just 6 days is excessive guys....

That means you guys will reach 1TB at the end of the month give or take. Honestly I don't think Rain will keep it like that. It's LTE afterall and if you were on a 100Mbps openserve fibre line with Mweb you would have been throttled @350gb already.

Just something to think about. My guess would be caps or strict fup introduced by end of next month...
    I've watched some people crowing about dl'ing 100s GB's as if this is a unlimited resource being entirely for their own disposal, and can safely assume that they will be the cause of their own and others woes shortly...
    P.S Cue water usage

Stand by for the most vociferous complaints by same said individuals when caps are introduced.

Like they say - the many often have to suffer because of the actions of a few.
    Last edited by MirageF1; 06-07-2018 at 06:41 PM.

Master
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seriously, what the heck do you guys download .. at work on 50mbps symmetrical line , used by 70 people and we hardly can get utilization above 25mbps and 1.2Tb amongst us all in a month and I have a 5.5tb FUP POLICY .Filtering software blocks torrenting , but everything else open.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InternetLuddite View Post
    Seriously, what the heck do you guys download .. at work on 50mbps symmetrical line , used by 70 people and we hardly can get utilization above 25mbps and 1.2Tb amongst us all in a month and I have a 5.5tb FUP POLICY .Filtering software blocks torrenting , but everything else open.
    Binge on a season of Homeland in 4K on Netflix and you will rack up over 50gb in one day.
    I never apologise. Iím sorry, thatís just the way I am.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MirageF1 View Post
    I've watched some people crowing about dl'ing 100s GB's as if this is a unlimited resource being entirely for their own disposal, and can safely assume that they will be the cause of their own and others woes shortly...
    P.S Cue water usage

Stand by for the most vociferous complaints by same said individuals when caps are introduced.

Like they say - the many often have to suffer because of the actions of a few.
    I get unlimited is unlimited but the tower is shared to be honest and if too many people do a lot of data then the experience for everyone suffer on that tower. That said I do not have an issue with people doing decent amount of data but it's not nice to be stuck on a tower giving like 3Mbps max because there is 15 people maxing the towers bandwidth.

Rain actually is getting over subscribed. They have Vodacom customers roaming on their towers. Rain fixed LTE customers and now Mobile customers with uncapped bolt on for R250 so it's very interesting and probably going to cause issues especially the Vodacom people roaming on Rain.

Vodacom can easily offload like 100 people onto a Rain tower and then you have to throw into the mix the fixed lte and rain mobile customers.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get unlimited is unlimited but the tower is shared to be honest and if too many people do a lot of data then the experience for everyone suffer on that tower. That said I do not have an issue with people doing decent amount of data but it's not nice to be stuck on a tower giving like 3Mbps max because there is 15 people maxing the towers bandwidth.

Rain actually is getting over subscribed. They have Vodacom customers roaming on their towers. Rain fixed LTE customers and now Mobile customers with uncapped bolt on for R250 so it's very interesting and probably going to cause issues especially the Vodacom people roaming on Rain.

Vodacom can easily offload like 100 people onto a Rain tower and then you have to throw into the mix the fixed lte and rain mobile customers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5I1ultWcDs
    I never apologise. Iím sorry, thatís just the way I am.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan C View Post

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, you're probably right.

It's not as if I've been downloading every single day. There were only two Steam game downloads which would equate to about 90-100Gb alone, I'm mean heck, Gears of War 4 is 110Gb on it's own, so for me to use nearly 200Gb in only a few downloads isn't really difficult. The rest is just Twitch streaming. Rain will most likely tighten the screws once the "free data days" are over with a set amount of GB just like Telkom did and then start to shape once you've reached that.

My MikroTik is alraedy setup to do the switching between my ADSL and LTE once 18:00 hits till 23:00 so that I don't screw myself over, although I've set my limit to R300 (only 1GB peak ontop of R250 unlimited plan) for any nasty surprises. During peak time I just stream about 1 hour, after that I queue some downloads.
    Last edited by StoneCold; 06-07-2018 at 10:19 PM.
    And thats the bottom line, cause StoneCold said so...

Quote Originally Posted by vinodh View Post
    They must have throttled your cancellation request

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan C View Post
    #SoTrue

Reset the router every morning for much more accurate stats on total bandwidth/gigs used..
    Loving technology&gadgets own a Samsung Galaxy S4, Ativ S , Apple iPad4 Cellular 64 GB, i7 ivy bridge - Porting Successful

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dashboard looks better.. but i agree. FUP .. eish. they not going to allow 300-400gb a month for that R250

I think it's prolly gonna be around 100gb (and i'm also well over 100gb or this dashboard is talking nonsense)

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by StoneCold View Post
    Well, you're probably right.

It's not as if I've been downloading every single day. There were only two Steam game downloads which would equate to about 90-100Gb alone, I'm mean heck, Gears of War 4 is 110Gb on it's own, so for me to use nearly 200Gb in only a few downloads isn't really difficult. The rest is just Twitch streaming. Rain will most likely tighten the screws once the "free data days" are over with a set amount of GB just like Telkom did and then start to shape once you've reached that.

My MikroTik is alraedy setup to do the switching between my ADSL and LTE once 18:00 hits till 23:00 so that I don't screw myself over, although I've set my limit to R300 (only 1GB peak ontop of R250 unlimited plan) for any nasty surprises. During peak time I just stream about 1 hour, after that I queue some downloads.
    Hey you should not feel guilty for using data on an unlimited package. I just reckon Rain will start implementing caps or throttles as time goes on because R250 is very cheap and they don't have that much tower density to allow people to go crazy.

Also we just have to wait for Vodacom customers to start complaining about slow speeds and see how Vodacom force Rain's hand. When a Vodacom customer do a speedtest when roaming on Rain and the speedtest is slow it will register as a speedtest from Vodacom and that would probably lower their average. In a time where Vodacom wants to be the best network in SA I reckon they will tell Rain hey the speeds are not good.

I reckon Rain will slap the heavy users with a It's a mobile product and intended for mobile use. Using it as replacement for home internet is a breach of the Rain Mobile terms....

We will see what the future holds.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12