Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.


+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Cancelling an ADSL service from Telkom - almost impossible!!!

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Angry Cancelling an ADSL service from Telkom - almost impossible!!!

    It appears that Telkom is making it extremely difficult for customers to cancel any ADSL service from them in order to keep customers.

    Any other service provider allows you to call customer service, do a security check and then you can cancel it over the phone.

    Not so with Telkom. With Telkom you phone customer service. Then the first person tells you to go to a certain website and log in and cancel it. Then you find out that website does not work. You phone again and get other information. Then, finally, they tell you to fill in a long cancellation form with lots of details, which you have to print out, sign, scan in again, along with your ID and send it to a certain email address. After 2 weeks of no replies to you, you start bugging them on Facebook. If you are luck, after a week or so of that someone comes back to you and provides you with another email address where you must send the documents. Then you send it and hope for the best.

    My question is just: what about people who have no printer and scanner? Who cares? Telkom does not.

    I have friends who struggled for 4 months to cancel a month-to-month contract. Other people tell me they have been trying to cancel a line for more that 2 years with no success!

    I know of people who simply stopped paying and then got blacklisted by Telkom.

    Many people give up and just keep Telkom as service provider because they dont have time for these fights.
    My suspicion is that Telkom wants exactly that. They are notorious for bad service and as a result see a loss of customers. To stem the outflow they decided to make it deliberately difficult for people to cancel their services. Clever, but extremely unethical and it must be against the consumer act.

    What can we do to force Telkom to simplify their cancellation process? I have written to Carte Blanche, but I suspect they are busy with bigger stories. All I can think of is to discourage everyone to make use of Telkom wherever I can, which is exactly what I am doing at the moment.

  2. #2
    Super Grandmaster isie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning
    Posts
    9,022
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rudolphschar View Post
    It appears that Telkom is making it extremely difficult for customers to cancel any ADSL service from them in order to keep customers.

    Any other service provider allows you to call customer service, do a security check and then you can cancel it over the phone.

    Not so with Telkom. With Telkom you phone customer service. Then the first person tells you to go to a certain website and log in and cancel it. Then you find out that website does not work. You phone again and get other information. Then, finally, they tell you to fill in a long cancellation form with lots of details, which you have to print out, sign, scan in again, along with your ID and send it to a certain email address. After 2 weeks of no replies to you, you start bugging them on Facebook. If you are luck, after a week or so of that someone comes back to you and provides you with another email address where you must send the documents. Then you send it and hope for the best.

    My question is just: what about people who have no printer and scanner? Who cares? Telkom does not.

    I have friends who struggled for 4 months to cancel a month-to-month contract. Other people tell me they have been trying to cancel a line for more that 2 years with no success!

    I know of people who simply stopped paying and then got blacklisted by Telkom.

    Many people give up and just keep Telkom as service provider because they dont have time for these fights.
    My suspicion is that Telkom wants exactly that. They are notorious for bad service and as a result see a loss of customers. To stem the outflow they decided to make it deliberately difficult for people to cancel their services. Clever, but extremely unethical and it must be against the consumer act.

    What can we do to force Telkom to simplify their cancellation process? I have written to Carte Blanche, but I suspect they are busy with bigger stories. All I can think of is to discourage everyone to make use of Telkom wherever I can, which is exactly what I am doing at the moment.
    my cancelation with them was simples and painless i used the old self service portal. (assumed that's the website they referring to) https://apps.telkom.co.za/eportal/eCustomer/accounts
    cancelled there got references immediately., they called in 10 days , confirmed and waiting 30 days of me canceling my line was cancelled.
    try contacting them on twitter and cope wendy knowler in maybe it will help
    Some times the internet is so slow, it would be faster to just fly to Google's headquarters and ask them this $h1t in person.!

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    On the phone they specifically said I must make use of the new portal. I tried both the old and new portal. Someone else also confirmed that neither works. Read their Facebook page. Many, many people have this same problem.

  4. #4

  5. #5
    Super Grandmaster isie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning
    Posts
    9,022
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rudolphschar View Post
    On the phone they specifically said I must make use of the new portal. I tried both the old and new portal. Someone else also confirmed that neither works. Read their Facebook page. Many, many people have this same problem.
    what can i tell you, worked for me.
    Some times the internet is so slow, it would be faster to just fly to Google's headquarters and ask them this $h1t in person.!

  6. #6
    Grandmaster eye_suc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    WC
    Posts
    3,470
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by isie View Post
    my cancelation with them was simples and painless i used the old self service portal. (assumed that's the website they referring to) https://apps.telkom.co.za/eportal/eCustomer/accounts
    cancelled there got references immediately., they called in 10 days , confirmed and waiting 30 days of me canceling my line was cancelled.
    try contacting them on twitter and cope wendy knowler in maybe it will help
    Used this option: going on 3 months for my cancellation.

    Beyond useless, but par for the RSA course.
    My games for sale @ BudgetGamer

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Cancelled mine a month ago and its still active

  8. #8
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Somerset West
    Posts
    50
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Been trying to cancel since march. Went through all the same mentioned steps to no avail. Eventually managed to get someone in a hellkom shop who appeared to know that it was all a crock of s**t, to kind of start helping. 15th June I received an SMS confirming a cancellation was in the pipeline and stating 'we're sorry you're cancelling... blah blah blah'. Well, I sure as hell am not sorry. What a nagmerrie...

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I do hope we can get a good thread going. We need to grab the attention of the mainstream media to investigate this and expose this enethical dealings of Telkom.

  10. #10
    Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    South Africa.
    Posts
    1,066
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Same problem here
    "If it ain't broke, do not fix it!"

    Unlimited Free Broadband www.ctwug.za.net

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Impossible to get e-mail customer service from Telkom Mobile
    By iSupplySA in forum Telkom Mobile Data
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-01-2017, 12:55 PM
  2. Telkom cancelling my landline service
    By madavian in forum Forum suggestions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 23-02-2016, 11:22 AM
  3. Cancelling my Telkom ADSL
    By NN123 in forum ADSL and VDSL Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 16-07-2012, 08:56 PM
  4. Cancelling a Telkom ADSL etc
    By medicnick83 in forum General Broadband Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-02-2009, 02:32 PM
  5. Telkom ADSL impossible to report a fault
    By cholaquepita in forum ADSL and VDSL Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 29-01-2008, 07:41 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •