Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: An open letter to Telkom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default An open letter to Telkom

Hereís a sort of ďopen letterĒ to Telkom. (Hang in there Telkom employees, I know your general attention span is less than minimal, but this is an important read). And to the Telkom customers, feel free to share this:

A friend of mine told me about a "Madame and Eve" comic she remembers from the 90ís which revolved around not being able to save a Telkom executive from death due to the telephone lines being out. How insane is it that absolutely nothing has changed in all those years? Telkom has never and will never change, you will always be just another trash-level company who is able to get away with it because of your pseudo-monopoly on the DSL infrastructure which is obviously, yet apparently unofficially, enforced by your scummy government ties.

Normally, Iíd have enough self-control to post a few memes on your social media about how disgusting your service is, just to drive the point home. Itís not as if itís a secret though, I mean seriously, just look at your community reviews and posts. Your state of kakness is excruciatingly apparent, yet you seem to remain oblivious to it. No surprise there though, thatís just par for your moronic persona you have built for yourself. Iíll usually have Frank or Lebo contact me asking for account details, just to temporarily cover up an issue which re-emerges a week later.

This time, however, Iím fully past the stage of memes. I outright lost my internet connection FOR A WEEK and now when the connection is actually re-established, Iím lucky if my connection breaches the 1Mbps point. YOU DONíT EVEN OFFER PACKAGES WITH SPEED THAT LOW ANYMORE! Now, Iíll have to explain that I have friends who work as contractors for Telkom, they notified me about what exactly the issue was. So, I decided to run an experiment. I didnít report the issue (the rest of my neighbourhood likely did), but I wanted to see the depths you would go to in order to not provide a service. I wanted to see if you would formally notify me of the issue, if you would actually attend to the issue, if you would compensate me for literally paying for a service which I did not in any way receive. You can probably all guess the outcome of that experiment. Yes, me expecting anything good from Telkom was near as close to a real life fairy-tale as anything could be.

I now have decent proof that while you were aware of the existence and cause of a service-fault, you neither informed me of the fault nor took responsibility for the fault nor took any reasonable action towards resolving the issue. Add this fact to the sheer mountain of distraught customers on any one of your social media walls and things start to seem very interesting.

I am no lawyer, but after doing some basic research, (of course, not using your internet service, it was via Vuma infrastructure with a 3rd party provider), on the Consumer Protection Act (No. 68, 2008), it would seem that you are in clear breach of many of the clauses in the act. All these customers and evidence of unfair dealing seems like a good mixture for a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT. Thatís a term that may seem very foreign to a succumbing population such as that of South Africa, but with developments on the recent Listeriosis case, it doesnít seem too far-fetched anymore.

FROM THE CONSUMER PROTECTION ACT PREAMBLE SYNOPSIS ALONE, you will find the following:
    -Consumer Right No. 4: Right to Disclosure of Information
    -Consumer Right No. 5: Right to Fair and Responsible Marketing
    -Consumer Right No. 6: Right to Fair and Honest Dealing
    -Consumer Right No. 7: Right to Fair, Just and Reasonable Terms and Conditions
    -Consumer Right No. 8: Right to Fair Value, Good Quality and Safety
    -Consumer Right No. 9: Right to Accountability from Suppliers

Doesnít much seem like you abide to that all, does it? And I wonder what else we will find, if we dig further into the Act.

In this day and age, where internet is seen as a basic human right, Telkom has to be seen as criminals with their current service (without even feeling melodramatic about the statement).Your scummy government ties will probably keep you ďlegallyĒ safe, but all your customers are tired, and right now have the responsibility of making more of a logical noise than the general disappointed mumble we are so used to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Internet access is not seen as a basic human right.
    https://www.trueachievements.com/gam...SnowHonkey.png
    You spend your whole life working to pay for the suit they bury you in.

Master
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your experience is as bad as you describe above then why have you not moved on a long time ago? Vote with your wallet if your arent happy...
    Fabricati Diem, Pvnc

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Werfetter View Post
    If your experience is as bad as you describe above then why have you not moved on a long time ago? Vote with your wallet if your arent happy...
    To where?
    Telkom = Copper

Master
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Various LTE options out there, I assume fiber is not yet available for the OP but that might also an option.

If he insists on using copper then fine so be it, but as far as having access to the internet goes it is not his only choice.
    Fabricati Diem, Pvnc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Arksun View Post
    Internet access is not seen as a basic human right.
    The UN declared so about 2 years ago, more so focused on the active disruption of internet connection, which of course gives countries/companies leeway to interpret. I'm sure as long as there is no "active disruption" they can technically get away with it. Now while more stable countries such as Finland enforce it to the point of every citizen having free access to at least a basic connection, of course, it's not cynical to accept that South Africa would never be able to offer something similar. So I am not frustrated at having to pay for internet, I am frustrated at paying for something I do not receive. That is the issue and that is why the point stands.
    Last edited by CaelanC; 11-07-2018 at 03:19 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because until fiber construction is completed in my area, what choice do I have? No matter what ISP i decide to use the infrastructure will always be the problem, and the infrastructure is monopolised by Telkom. Further more I'm past the point of being passive just because "I can wait for Fiber". Telkom cannot be justified simply because the future offers better options.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Various LTE options out there, I assume fiber is not yet available for the OP but that might also an option.

If he insists on using copper then fine so be it, but as far as having access to the internet goes it is not his only choice.
    Fiber is under construction so as of now, not an option for me. I do use LTE to supplement the ADSL (which on a 10Mbps line I shouldn't have to in the first place) but the consistency of the stability compared to the price is not worth it when more rigorous internet usage is needed.

It is unfair to ignore the kakness of Telkom simply because "I no longer have to deal with them". Just look at any of their social media pages, 99% of the customer base are people like me, yet they do not care because we have no other choice.

+ Reply to Thread