Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 'I'm a big fan of taking away the toss' - Du Plessis

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 'I'm a big fan of taking away the toss' - Du Plessis

The visiting team outclassed in unfamiliar conditions, twice being dismissed for less than 200; the match - barely competitive - hurtling to a conclusion inside three days. The above could describe either of South Africa's two most recent matches against Sri Lanka. In Johannesburg last year, a South Africa attack featuring four frontline quicks had scythed through Sri Lanka twice to record a victory of an innings and 118 runs. Now, in Galle, Sri Lanka's trio of spinners have dismissed South Africa for record-low totals to sweep to victory by 278 runs.

These kinds of disparate results are why Test cricket should do away with the toss and instead allow visiting teams to choose whether to bat or bowl first, South Africa captain Faf du Plessis has said. South Africa have only recently become outspoken about creating made-to-order pitches at home, while New Zealand have also attempted to capitalise on their seam-bowling advantage by preparing very green tracks for Asian sides in recent years. In South Asia, meanwhile, teams have long produced tracks to suit themselves.

These practices are why the ICC cricket committee recently considered doing away with the toss, before eventually deciding to keep it. Du Plessis, though, wants a toss-less Test future.

"I'm a big fan of taking away the toss," he said. "I think even in South Africa you'll still prepare the conditions the way you prepare them now, but you just make sure that you bring some balance. In home conditions teams will still win the majority of the games, but you still do even it out a little. I think over the last two or three years away-records have definitely gone down, and games are finishing a lot sooner than they used to."

More at http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/...faf-du-plessis
    Rest in peace, MickeyD. Gone to soon. Ne'er shall ye be forgotten.

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I agree with du Plessis.

I highly determinate factor that hinges on chance is just plain unfair.
    If you are looking for a hunk, a stud and an Italian stallion ... you better look someplace else because you won't find any here.

+ Reply to Thread