Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rain Mobile Data uses too much data!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Rain Mobile Data uses too much data!!!

I connected my new Rain sim card to a Vodafone R216 Mifi Modem this past late Monday evening. When I checked earlier in the evening last night my dashboard showed that it used just over 7 Gigs in 1.5 days (that was till early evening yesterday). From last night to this morning it used a further 3Gigs!!! How is this possible as I was only doing general research for a project.

I lodged a complaint with Rain Mobile Data, who said they will look into it and reply be email.

My question is this that if an average day with minimal online access uses not less than 3 Gigs usage day = 30 day x3 = 90 Gigs for the month at R50/Gig = R4,500!!! FOR MINIMAL USE EVERY DAY!!!!

RAIN, WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU TRYING TO ACCOMPLISH HERE??? We'd rather purchase Vodacom, MTN or Telkom for a lowEr price (over the long term) or get ADSL / VDSL / Fibre than fork out minimum R4,500 per month for hardlly using the data. It's riduculous, to say the least.

Anyone else experiencing this type of problem?

BROADBAND, COULD YOU PLEASE INVESTIGATE THIS AS IT SEEMS THAT THE PRICES ARE LOWER BUT ONE WOULD HAVE TO BUY AN ASTRONOMICAL AMOUNT OF GIGS WHICH RESULTS IN THOUSANDS MORE BEING SPENT ON MOBILE DATA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello

I dont have any testing data as time is so short these days, but I have noticed similar over the last couple of months just prior to the launch of RainMobile. With Afrihost RAIN, suddenly the graphs are no longer available to show usage, the percentage used on all accounts is inaccurate and if you click into the LTE product you can see lower usage than the percent based indication, been using RAIN for almost a year now and suddenly getting capped half-way through the month with no usage changes. Not doing anything other than browsing (excluding large content, youtube etc) daily usage ballooning to 1.5GB to 3GB. Support reps just tell you are capped and to bugger off. Very soon they will get the boot so you not alone.

Master
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The router has a counter of actual usage. Clear that counter and do a proper test that compare the router with the Rain dashboard.

If those two doesn't match MyBroadband could indeed find something but without a proper test (something you should do first if data usage seems fishy) I'm inclined to suspect that something on your side is indeed using data...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not asking MYBB to do anything about it Alacrity, just supporting the other disgruntled user. I monitored the dashboard of the router for 2 days prior to logging a ticket regardless so that my ducks are in a row and it was not lining up, and without the usage graphs how would you possibly compare anyhow. I am not inclined to do their troubleshooting for them over a couple hundred ronds a month.

I also expected something on my side running the data, been in IT for 30 years already so I wouldnt just blurt out BS prior to check my shyte is in order.

Master
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Grimis View Post
    Not asking MYBB to do anything about it Alacrity, just supporting the other disgruntled user. I monitored the dashboard of the router for 2 days prior to logging a ticket regardless so that my ducks are in a row and it was not lining up, and without the usage graphs how would you possibly compare anyhow. I am not inclined to do their troubleshooting for them over a couple hundred ronds a month.

I also expected something on my side running the data, been in IT for 30 years already so I wouldnt just blurt out BS prior to check my shyte is in order.
    I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm pointing out that you claim reported usage of 1.5GB to 3.0GB but don't state how much the router is reporting. Thus, if you give MyBB something to work with ie. proof then it will be much easier to get it fixed.

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had 28gigs after 2 days, but then again I stream netflix, youtube and music a lot. I have used 276GB already, less than 15 days.
    Soooo, where do you see yourself in five years?

Grandmaster
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly777 View Post
    /snip

BROADBAND, COULD YOU PLEASE INVESTIGATE THIS AS IT SEEMS THAT THE PRICES ARE LOWER BUT ONE WOULD HAVE TO BUY AN ASTRONOMICAL AMOUNT OF GIGS WHICH RESULTS IN THOUSANDS MORE BEING SPENT ON MOBILE DATA.
    Are you on the free 15 days promotion or the R250/pm plan?

peak - 18:00 <> 23:00 daily << R50/GB but you are charged at 5c/MB and can set a limit in R50 increments.
    off-peak - 23:00 <> 18:00 << R250 only unlimited add-on
    unofficial mybroadband Telegram 5000 group challenge. Dare to enter the crazy?? Details [thread] to be coming soon...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get something to log your data usage. Could be Windows updates, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MrJacques View Post
    Get something to log your data usage. Could be Windows updates, etc.
    What Software do you use on Windows & Android?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something is always uploading on RainMobile. The difference between Telkom Mobile and Rain can
    be seen on the router dashboard.

Google Chrome gets far busier on Rain than Telkom. Hope somebody out there can check this.

+ Reply to Thread