Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.


+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Sending an auto reply to certain domains from cPanel / Webmail

  1. #1
    Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,044
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Sending an auto reply to certain domains from cPanel / Webmail

    Not 100% sure how to word this or where to post it - mods feel free to move if it's in the wrong place.

    Sorry if it's a dumb question

    OK, so here's what I want to do:

    [email protected] emails us. I'd like to set up an autoresponder that will reply to his email saying something along the lines of "mail returned due to invalid email address/recipient email address does not exist".

    I'd like to do this at mail server level if possible - before the email ever reaches our inbox on our laptops.

    Is this possible to do for certain sender domains & let everything else still come through?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Grandmaster
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Benoni,please bring passport
    Posts
    2,728
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    +1 also be good to know if it is possible

  3. #3
    Master WAslayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    853
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trompie67 View Post
    Not 100% sure how to word this or where to post it - mods feel free to move if it's in the wrong place.

    Sorry if it's a dumb question

    OK, so here's what I want to do:

    [email protected] emails us. I'd like to set up an autoresponder that will reply to his email saying something along the lines of "mail returned due to invalid email address/recipient email address does not exist".

    I'd like to do this at mail server level if possible - before the email ever reaches our inbox on our laptops.

    Is this possible to do for certain sender domains & let everything else still come through?

    Thanks in advance.
    To do this at server level, I assume you have root access to fiddle with exim... Little rusty on exim, but the basic should still be the same or this should at least set you on the right path..

    exim should have a section called something like acl_rcpt: with a number of blocks, starting with accept, deny, require and some others.. add the following new block and edit as needed:

    deny condition = ${lookup{$sender_address}nwildlsearch{/path/black.list}{yes}}
    message = You have been rejected muhahahahahaha

    where /path/black.list contains a list of your recipients to be rejected under the above condition..

    I think this is still fairly relevant, but at the very least you should be looking at ACL's to do this..
    Bleep bab beee boo ba beeebeee boo boda bab..

  4. #4
    Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,044
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Aaaaand I'm lost

    Thanks for the info - I was hoping it was doable at cPanel level. It's a shared server, so I doubt I'll be given root access!

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Want the bounce back to be sent to a specific sender or just in general? Can always block the guy if you don't want him to send you emails.

  6. #6
    Master WAslayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    853
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trompie67 View Post
    Aaaaand I'm lost

    Thanks for the info - I was hoping it was doable at cPanel level. It's a shared server, so I doubt I'll be given root access!
    It's is doable at the cpanel level and at a global level for all emails, provided your host exposes the function.. It's called Global Email Filters..

    Will allow you to create a rule to match a from address and discard it accordingly..
    Bleep bab beee boo ba beeebeee boo boda bab..

  7. #7
    EVGA Fanatic Rickster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Joe'berg
    Posts
    15,511
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WAslayer View Post
    It's is doable at the cpanel level and at a global level for all emails, provided your host exposes the function.. It's called Global Email Filters..

    Will allow you to create a rule to match a from address and discard it accordingly..
    Yip, looks like it


    Name:  c65df8a402.png
Views: 78
Size:  41.5 KB
    Intel I5 2500K 1155 | 16GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator | EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ | 7.5TB | Corsair Graphite 600T

  8. #8
    Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,044
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WAslayer View Post
    It's is doable at the cpanel level and at a global level for all emails, provided your host exposes the function.. It's called Global Email Filters..

    Will allow you to create a rule to match a from address and discard it accordingly..
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickster View Post
    Yip, looks like it


    Name:  c65df8a402.png
Views: 78
Size:  41.5 KB
    GENIUS!

    Thank you both, I've set it up & tested. Works like a dream!

  9. #9
    EVGA Fanatic Rickster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Joe'berg
    Posts
    15,511
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trompie67 View Post
    GENIUS!

    Thank you both, I've set it up & tested. Works like a dream!
    Buuuut, if they send from another email address then it wont bounce back with error, they will catch on.
    Intel I5 2500K 1155 | 16GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator | EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ | 7.5TB | Corsair Graphite 600T

  10. #10
    Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,044
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rickster View Post
    Buuuut, if they send from another email address then it wont bounce back with error, they will catch on.
    Ja, maybe, but I'm not going to get anymore emails from SABC for TV Licenses now

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. How to Auto backup Cpanel backups?
    By Stormer12 in forum Hosting and Cloud Computing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-09-2016, 08:26 AM
  2. webmail.telkomsa.net - Autoforward and Auto-responder not working. Help!
    By Saajid in forum Hosting and Cloud Computing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 25-07-2016, 03:18 PM
  3. Binding, Domains, Servers, Linux, WHM, cPanel, whaaaaaaat? [Issue]
    By Pixelbender in forum Hosting and Cloud Computing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15-07-2016, 10:46 AM
  4. vodamail out of office - auto reply msg?
    By [OUPA]MrNutz in forum Vodacom Mobile Data
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-11-2009, 02:16 PM
  5. Are you having trouble sending attachments through Gmail webmail
    By Smiley_lauf in forum General Broadband Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 27-02-2009, 06:25 AM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •