Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Load balancing routers and wifi

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Load balancing routers and wifi

I was thinking of purchasing one of these

https://www.pcshopper.co.za/networki...SABEgJaMfD_BwE

to load balance between two B315 LTE routers. The load balancing is really policy based balancing where the balancer will switch traffic from one router to the other based on time of day.

So From the TPlink software the above is easily possible and I assume that any wired connections would configure the load balancer as the gateway. My question is for the wifi as I use one of the B315s to service wifi in my home but I assume that any wifi dhcp give out, will set that b315 as the default gateway to the client device. Can anyone point me in the direction of how to configure the b315 to allow wifi clients to connect, give them ips but still force them to use the load balancer as the default gateway?
    Neo-Luddite - Permanent Darwin award candidates

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm using this ubiquiti edge router to load-balance 2 internet sources.
    https://www.comx-computers.co.za/ER-...y-p-173164.php

My setup works great (for my purposes), but I am load-balancing, not switching sources. I would assume that one could set up a script??

If you Google ubiquiti edge router load-sharing, there is a lot of information available.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can also skip the extra router if you want by just using the existing routers.

Run a cron like service to execute a script to change the connection mode of router 2 as per picture below.

Name:  2b315s.png
Views: 61
Size:  17.2 KB
    F2330-60926

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kosmik View Post
    I was thinking of purchasing one of these

https://www.pcshopper.co.za/networki...SABEgJaMfD_BwE

to load balance between two B315 LTE routers. The load balancing is really policy based balancing where the balancer will switch traffic from one router to the other based on time of day.

So From the TPlink software the above is easily possible and I assume that any wired connections would configure the load balancer as the gateway. My question is for the wifi as I use one of the B315s to service wifi in my home but I assume that any wifi dhcp give out, will set that b315 as the default gateway to the client device. Can anyone point me in the direction of how to configure the b315 to allow wifi clients to connect, give them ips but still force them to use the load balancer as the default gateway?
    At least from personal experience on RAIN b315 routers a year ago,they didn't behave well in passing through DHCP if they didn't provide it themselves

IMO
    Switch off their WIFI
    Put your 2 routers behind a load balancing device,provide WIFI through this load balancer (or any other WAP connected to it),keep the B315 routers in their own little DMZ
    50% off 1 month Afrihost Uncapped here
    Speak to me about Priority after-hours technical support and remote maintenance (Server and Desktop support)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PsyWulf View Post
    At least from personal experience on RAIN b315 routers a year ago,they didn't behave well in passing through DHCP if they didn't provide it themselves

IMO
    Switch off their WIFI
    Put your 2 routers behind a load balancing device,provide WIFI through this load balancer (or any other WAP connected to it),keep the B315 routers in their own little DMZ
    Yah, what I was thinking but this device doesn't provide the wifi.

For the other replies, wired connections and balancing the routers aren't an issue, the Tp-link device can do it fine. It's the wifi thats my biggest boggle. I was originally going to do the scripted network gateway route on my pcs and server ie: update route table at certain times of the day to switch to whichever router but was wanting a single point rather which is where I thought the load balancer could fit in. If I didn't have the extra router it would probably be cheaper to by the multi sim Lte devices @ R4k a pop but I like the idea of a load balancer thats independant because later I can use fibre but allow large downloads on another connection.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm, I actually think I'm being stupid on this one, I see the load balancer can be setup as a DHCP server so I can just set the two routers as passthrough. I did similar with one router to my extender.

+ Reply to Thread