Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.


+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 44 of 44

Thread: CoCT Solar Legalities - Feb 2019 deadline for registration for all systems

  1. #31
    Super Grandmaster SauRoNZA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    27,324
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rh1 View Post
    Is this not what a COC is meant for? Safe installation?
    Yes but that only happens when selling the property.

    This however seems more inline with an ongoing certification when a major change happens which makes a lot of sense to me.

  2. #32
    Super Grandmaster Gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    5,562
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SauRoNZA View Post
    Yes but that only happens when selling the property
    Nope. You need a CoC every time you change the electrical installation or do anything to it really.

    Some handy info online
    Last edited by Gnome; 31-07-2018 at 05:30 PM.

  3. #33
    Super Grandmaster SauRoNZA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    27,324
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default CoCT Solar Legalities - Feb 2019 deadline for registration for all systems

    Quote Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
    Nope. You need a CoC every time you change the electrical installation or do anything to it really.

    Some handy info online
    Okay let me rephrase.

    In reality the only time it gets enforced or made mandatory through practise is when selling the house.

    At any other time people can DIY and do what they want and nobody would be any wiser to it.

    There is a vast difference between when something is meant to be done and when its actually done. Like we are supposed to all do no more than 120km/h per hour, but we only know this isnt the case due to fines being issued.

    In the case of going solar the fact that there are external visible elements means that such these can actually be monitored and investigated.
    Last edited by SauRoNZA; 01-08-2018 at 08:10 AM.

  4. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Somewhere close to you
    Posts
    336
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SauRoNZA View Post
    Okay let me rephrase.

    In reality the only time it gets enforced or made mandatory through practise is when selling the house.

    At any other time people can DIY and do what they want and nobody would be any wiser to it.

    There is a vast difference between when something is meant to be done and when its actually done. Like we are supposed to all do no more than 120km/h per hour, but we only know this isnt the case due to fines being issued.

    In the case of going solar the fact that there are external visible elements means that such these can actually be monitored and investigated.
    Should a fire occur and its found to be electrical - without a COC - insurance wont pay out.

  5. #35
    Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kenilworth, Cape Town
    Posts
    3,634
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rh1 View Post
    Should a fire occur and its found to be electrical - without a COC - insurance wont pay out.
    True, but mostly irrelevant IMO. A fire inside an electrical conduit is not going to burn your house down, it will just trip the circuit breakers. Many electrical fires occur due to frayed extension leads and wiring in appliances, which are not subject to compliance certificates.

  6. #36
    Super Grandmaster Gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    5,562
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon_R View Post
    True, but mostly irrelevant IMO. A fire inside an electrical conduit is not going to burn your house down, it will just trip the circuit breakers. Many electrical fires occur due to frayed extension leads and wiring in appliances, which are not subject to compliance certificates.
    They are subject to compliance, by the manufacturer. If something is sold in this country that isn't complaint you are opening yourself up to a lawsuit.

    Additionally your imagination is failing you with regards to how dodgy installations can be At least if wiring in a conduit catching fire is the best you can come up with.

    Electrical fires are less of a problem here because of brick and mortar homes but it still happens. I personally know someone who had a flat burn out due to an electrical fire.

    Quote Originally Posted by SauRoNZA View Post
    Okay let me rephrase.

    In reality the only time it gets enforced or made mandatory through practise is when selling the house.

    At any other time people can DIY and do what they want and nobody would be any wiser to it.
    A CoC is far more official and tested than these bylaws.

    The same thing you just said is true of this bylaw. If they don't have proof of back feeding there is no obligation for me to let them onto my property. Even having solar panels on a roof in itself doesn't constitute anything.

    If they see solar panels on my roof and I say that I'm not using them and I don't have a solar setup, now what?

    By saying a law is easy to skirt doesn't suddenly make it less. As such I don't buy the reasoning that a CoC is optional or not good enough.
    Last edited by Gnome; 01-08-2018 at 03:46 PM.

  7. #37
    Super Grandmaster Nanfeishen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Neither Here Nor There
    Posts
    6,555
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger View Post
    Why would most of us feed back into the grid anyway, we don't have the correct metres for that. Your electricity will go up, instead of down!
    This ^^

    Sorry but isn't the whole point of being off grid, not to be connected to the grid.

    How can they charge someone if they are no longer connected to the grid ?.
    Abandon the search for Truth; settle for a good fantasy.

  8. #38
    Super Grandmaster xrapidx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    34,838
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nanfeishen View Post
    How can they charge someone if they are no longer connected to the grid ?.
    You know - because the rich have to pay for the poor - who've just had their free allocation increased to 10000L while we're in a drought, and being told to use less.

  9. #39
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,924
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xrapidx View Post
    You know - because the rich have to pay for the poor - who've just had their free allocation increased to 10000L while we're in a drought, and being told to use less.
    Pisses me off so much. I'm all for free water, but in the drought surely you'd limit it down. I'm at about 2KL a month for a household of 4 people, surely we can lower the free water to 3KL for poor communities instead of increasing it to more water than I used BEFORE the drought...

  10. #40
    Super Grandmaster xrapidx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    34,838
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2012 View Post
    Pisses me off so much. I'm all for free water, but in the drought surely you'd limit it down. I'm at about 2KL a month for a household of 4 people, surely we can lower the free water to 3KL for poor communities instead of increasing it to more water than I used BEFORE the drought...
    Election time - parties are only interested in pleasing the masses.

  11. #41
    Super Grandmaster xrapidx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    34,838
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Looks like I have a R115pm meter.. the DA can really go **** themselves.

    I think I might just vote for whoever their strongest opposition is.

    Under their rule my cost of owning this house has almost quadrupled per month in 9 years.

  12. #42
    Grandmaster spiff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    /\/\/\________ MOTHER OF ALL CITIES
    Posts
    4,090
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2012 View Post
    Pisses me off so much. I'm all for free water, but in the drought surely you'd limit it down. I'm at about 2KL a month for a household of 4 people, surely we can lower the free water to 3KL for poor communities instead of increasing it to more water than I used BEFORE the drought...
    This is how politics work in south Africa.

    "Eish you give us free electric - free water - free housing - free tv or we fooking burn your city to da ground"
    .
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke "

  13. #43
    Super Grandmaster maumau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    fairland
    Posts
    10,747
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xrapidx View Post
    Looks like I have a R115pm meter.. the DA can really go **** themselves.

    I think I might just vote for whoever their strongest opposition is.

    Under their rule my cost of owning this house has almost quadrupled per month in 9 years.
    Huge increase
    Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense

  14. #44
    Super Grandmaster Jack Marlow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    25,716
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xrapidx View Post
    I'll be finding out in a day or two what size I have.
    Attachment 541287
    Fit an adapter right before your meter lol

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 25-07-2018, 01:55 PM
  2. COCT to clarify solar panel requirements
    By IdlePhaedrus in forum Eskom and Electricity: Load Shedding, Generators, UPS, Alternative Power
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 24-05-2016, 08:40 AM
  3. Solar Power Systems
    By Tinav in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 13-09-2012, 12:12 PM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 16-11-2010, 04:17 PM
  5. RICA SIM registration deadline may be extended
    By jes in forum Broadband and IT News
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 05-11-2010, 02:06 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •