Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: No plans to lay off 30 000 public servants - Minister

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default No plans to lay off 30 000 public servants - Minister

Government has denied plans to lay off 30 000 workers, saying figures quoted in media reports on Friday were "misleading" and "creating a state of panic in the public service".

Minister of Public Service and Administration Ayanda Dlodlo acknowledged plans to restructure, but said no labour unions had been engaged and that public servants could "rest assured" there were no plans for mass retrenchments.

She said, in a series of tweets on Friday afternoon, that while it was true that "as part of a bigger plan to reorganise government, an employer initiated severance package [sic] and early retirement without penalties, among other measures are being considered, [] government is yet to engage labour unions on the matter."

"I assure public servants that government does not have a plan to retrench public servants en masse as alleged by the Mail and Guardian newspaper," she said.

Mail & Guardian had reported that the process would take place over three years and could save up to R20bn, according to sources who attended the Cabinet lekgotla earlier in the week.

An unnamed senior government official had told the newspaper that National Treasury had set aside R4bn for severance packages.

Plans to restructure

Dlodlo dismissed the report, saying the restructuring would take place on a different scale.

The report was "a complete misrepresentation of the government program in relation to the macro organisation of the state and the initiatives proposed to manage the public sector wage bill," Dlodlo said.

According to Dlodlo, there were plans to streamline service delivery, cutting expenses by improving performance.

She said President Cyril Ramaphosa's "call to restructure government in order to enhance service delivery" by "removing superfluous functions and structures" did not include the figures quoted in the Mail & Guardian report.

It could, however, result in reduced staff but this would be undertaken "meticulously", not in "dramatic wholesale retrenchments", she added.
    More at: https://www.fin24.com/Economy/Labour...vants-20180810
    My views are not cast in stone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by schumi View Post
    Of course not.
    Their jobs, and thousands of other token jobs as in five additional provinces, were created simply to buy votes.
    The ANC never gave a stuff about any actual work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never believe anything until it has been officially denied. Claud Cockburn

Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/c...ockburn_166684
    Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe government this time. The story is just creating an unnecessary panic.
    I am of a nation that would not allow that fear of death, of torture, of imprisonment, of exile or persecution should result in the perpetuation of injustice.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thechamp View Post
    I believe government this time. The story is just creating an unnecessary panic.
    The state wage bill definitely needs cutting...it's sad if one of the few logical thoughts our Government has had recently turns out to be false.

What we have at the moment is unsustainable.

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Neoprod View Post
    The state wage bill definitely needs cutting...it's sad if one of the few logical thoughts our Government has had recently turns out to be false.

What we have at the moment is unsustainable.
    I don't disagree with that, I am just saying the article as it is looks like fake news to me.
    She said President Cyril Ramaphosa's "call to restructure government in order to enhance service delivery" by "removing superfluous functions and structures" did not include the figures quoted in the Mail & Guardian report.

It could, however, result in reduced staff but this would be undertaken "meticulously", not in "dramatic wholesale retrenchments", she added.
    I have no doubt there are plans to reduce the state wage bill, but not in the alarmist and sensational way as reported here, it will be done in stages, over time and most probably through early retirement packages, voluntary packages and freezing of new posts plus redeployments where necessary.
    Last edited by thechamp; 11-08-2018 at 07:06 PM.
    I am of a nation that would not allow that fear of death, of torture, of imprisonment, of exile or persecution should result in the perpetuation of injustice.

+ Reply to Thread