Recent content by repitah

  1. R

    how to avoid a jhb water meter swap out nightmare ?

    Absolutely no experience in this but my gut instincts go: Get a clientele legal policy. Document absolutely everything: - The date time and tech names (and contracting company if applicable) - Clear photo of the old meter (the meter and numbers) in the hands of the tech (not as clear needed)...
  2. R

    Geely E2 Apex, pull the trigger or am I going mad?

    go read the stealerships thread. The <R250 (<R240) part over the last few days was interesting. My caveat was the financing adding the initial free (±R6k last I looked), but if you can get a semi-decent deal (good luck get prime or lower... haven't heard of that in a while: please report back if...
  3. R

    South African home loans giant affected by data breach, customer records potentially exposed

    Yikes... <panics in more things to think of and check>
  4. R

    Locknut removal

    ^ That ^ Did the same with a steering wheel bolt (red threadlocker and high torque value). Get the center, drill with a small bit to a depth just beyound the where the bolt meets the rim. Drill as square as possible. Then drill out with progressively bigger bits. At some point, the material...
  5. R

    Geely E2 Apex, pull the trigger or am I going mad?

    Good points. I played with the car at festive of motoring and figured out the interior cityscape lights can be disabled, so if ADAS and extras are worth the money, absolutely go for it. Coming from an older Volvo, with early gen pedestrian safety, it has slammed the brakes on me when I floor it...
  6. R

    Geely E2 Apex, pull the trigger or am I going mad?

    I also keep looking at them, and if my Volvo unfortunately passes away (only do 5-7000k a year), that's on my shopping list. The higher spec I don't think is the one I'd go for (not a fan of the interior lighted cityscape and extra ADAS nannies). The price point and the fact that it is highway...
  7. R

    MyBroadband OS poll

    At home: Main driver in MacOS (air; next to bed) Sundry and appliances all linux (desktop in study, SBCs and nettop homecontroller). I have a early gen Win11 on Arm for when I need to quick assist friends/family Work: Windows11 for daily work (web consoles, remote desktop, terminal to script...
  8. R

    Two Airlink Embraer 190s perform dangerously low flyover at Cape Town’s DHL Stadium

    Yes, great airmanship and awesome record. The margins were very thin though. Add a few feet and there probably wouldn't have been as much questioning and attention. As for the weather for the JHB flyover this weekend: yeah... it's horrible so far. I wouldn't be taking any chances. Deleting a few...
  9. R

    Sites for Completely Free and Legal Software!

    Haven't played with it in while, and mostly for corporate stuff that is set-and-forget, but the QT change looks interesting. I'll wait for the next release to update it in my tranche of portable apps
  10. R

    New zero-alcohol driving law in South Africa is coming

    The problem isn't always laws. The problem is enforcement and normalised disregard for the law, and add the law of unintended consequence: some laws need to be repealed quite a way back to get back to sanity. Politicians like new laws because it shows they did something.
  11. R

    The "random stuff I wanna buy but don't" thread

    I want a cheapie 2/5/10Gb managed 8 port switch so I can finally VLAN my home network. AliExpress says around R1k. I might just bite and get 2 (1 for study, 1 for the roof where I want to replace the current AP with 1-3 APs). Or take the flakey 8 port Huawei S5700Li switch in my scrapping pile...
  12. R

    Big change coming for WhatsApp Business in South Africa where every reply will cost 12 cents

    Customer> quote me on <vaguest resemblance of an idea of what they want> Company user> Sjo Company user> In green Company user> IDK. Maybe a yellow one Company user> Is it box shaped? Company user> or circle? In the end, R2 spent and the customer still doesn't order a thing and IM speak/typing...
  13. R

    Prevent files from being copied to removable storage devices

    Says he chowing Claude Pro tokens 🤠
  14. R

    Prevent files from being copied to removable storage devices

    THIS! You can do it individually (gpedit) and likely a registry setting (non-pro). I haven't gotten my skills up on MacOS policies yet (learning the .mobileconfig stuff though). In linux, disable automount and disallow user mounting. Are you trying to stop people copying the company client...
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X