The pizza restaurant taking over South African shopping malls

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kirsten Minnaar
  • Start date Start date
Bunch of places. It's mostly exactly as stated. Depressed bread with toppings.
Care to list some of them ? I am really curious because maybe I have eaten bad pizza and don't know it.

Have you tried Luigi's in olivedale, La Trinita in Kyalami, Piccolino's in Fourways, polpetta in morningside, Trattoria - Emmies, Gino's Pizza - Robertsham, Trabella - Parkview ?

And by New York Pizza, I really hope you don't mean

 
Care to list some of them ? I am really curious because maybe I have eaten bad pizza and don't know it.

Have you tried Luigi's in olivedale, La Trinita in Kyalami, Piccolino's in Fourways, polpetta in morningside, Trattoria - Emmies, Gino's Pizza - Robertsham, Trabella - Parkview ?
None of those. Will add to maybe list.

Will *also* hold you personally accountable. If I see biltong, veg, banana or pineapple anywhere on the listed options... I will hunt you down like the rabid dog you are.....

<Edit>
At my advanced age, unlikely I'd be able to rattle off top of head but aside from the Olive&Plate debacle...

Coalition - OK but nothing to write home about.
Lupa Osteria x 2 - meh
Casa Bella - meh
Andiccio(?) Sandton - revolting. Seriously. They should live in shame at what they're doing.
Del Forno Bedfordview - meh
Some forno place in PTA... Wilgeheuwel? Meh
 
Last edited:
None of those. Will add to maybe list.

Will *also* hold you personally accountable. If I see biltong, veg, banana or pineapple anywhere on the listed options... I will hunt you down like the rabid dog you are.....

<Edit>
At my advanced age, unlikely I'd be able to rattle off top of head but aside from the Olive&Plate debacle...

Coalition - OK but nothing to write home about.
Lupa Osteria x 2 - meh
Casa Bella - meh
Andiccio(?) Sandton - revolting. Seriously. They should live in shame at what they're doing.
Del Forno Bedfordview - meh
Some forno place in PTA... Wilgeheuwel? Meh
LOL - Except for Casa bella, I haven't been to places you mentioned. That figures then.

My son likes pizza so even if I am not a fan, I still have to hunt for good pizza because he really dislikes franchisee pizza in Jozi so I think he has a taste :-)

I used to have a huge list but can't find it now but try these too as it was result of google review score
  • Franco's Pizzeria & Trattoria — Parkview
  • La Pizze — Greenside
  • Gino's Pizza — Robertsham - Done
  • SetteBello at the Italian Club — Bedfordview
  • Trattoria Renato Pizzeria — Emmarentia - Done
  • Piza ē Vino Melville — Auckland Park
  • Ottimo — Bedfordview
  • Cafe Picobella Trattoria — Melville
 
Care to list some of them ? I am really curious because maybe I have eaten bad pizza and don't know it.

Have you tried Luigi's in olivedale, La Trinita in Kyalami, Piccolino's in Fourways, polpetta in morningside, Trattoria - Emmies, Gino's Pizza - Robertsham, Trabella - Parkview ?

And by New York Pizza, I really hope you don't mean


Deep dish is Chicago style
 
These days, I prefer Romans in my town.
There just aren't really any places here that make good pizza.

Parrots in Menlyn Mall had some fantastic pizza.
Take a vegetarian pizza and add beef strips.
That pizza was amazing.

Col'cacchio, on the other hand, is meh.
Try Square Time - The Board Walk in Olympus/Faerie Glen
 
Settled for Pizza Hut 😂😂😂
Don't judge coz it technically may not have been pizza.
They had a crazy cheap special this week only, R20 for a personal pizza, ate two to satisfy the craving.
 
Bunch of places. It's mostly exactly as stated. Depressed bread with toppings.

Been encouraged to try various places with varying degrees of ok-ishness. Last place was... Olive & Plate or some such noise. Meh.

There *was* a tiny Italian restuarant in Lynwood that produced some actually decent pizza and the proprietor would serenade folks but... no more.

That being said, I have never met pizza in ZA that comes anywhere near New York or Italy.

That criminally terrible fake pizza from retailers is just.... No.
Noice.
Doubt I will ever go to Italy, and the US wont allow me in with my anti Trump/Israel views 🤣🤣

Gotta settle with the dough here, although I do prefer joints that use a Wood fired oven, quality cheese and aren't stingy with their toppings.

For some reason many places make sure they skimp on pepperoni, one per slice 🙄
Onions seem to be plentiful and cheap.

Artichokes are special too 🤤

Yeah now I'm liss for a pizza pie again, damn
 
The pizza restaurant taking over South African shopping malls

Since 1992, Col’Cacchio has grown from a single Cape Town pizzeria into a 20-restaurant group across three countries with an increasingly popular retail product range.
First time I heard of Col'Cacchio was 10 years ago when Liberty Midlands Mall was expanding. They could not find a franchisee willing to take the project on. PMB is still without Col'Cacchio all these years later, long after the Mall expanded....
 
Gotta settle with the dough here, although I do prefer joints that use a Wood fired oven, quality cheese and aren't stingy with their toppings.
Oddly enough the type of oven has little to no impact. Neapolitan pizzerias use wood because it’s in the rules.
 
I find all the homemade pizza very funny.
Its like the new internet hype, its not good but you posting pics about your homemade pizza make you think you some celebrity.
Then you look at these "great" homemade pizzas they made.
Half the thing is a big old crust around it with nothing one it, so you just eating dry bread.
Then the little topping is the middle is mostly just tomato sauce with mozzarella, because Dave Portnoy told the internet thats the best tasting pizza.
 
I find all the homemade pizza very funny.
Its like the new internet hype, its not good but you posting pics about your homemade pizza make you think you some celebrity.
Then you look at these "great" homemade pizzas they made.
Half the thing is a big old crust around it with nothing one it, so you just eating dry bread.
Then the little topping is the middle is mostly just tomato sauce with mozzarella, because Dave Portnoy told the internet thats the best tasting pizza.
Mistakes are all part of the [delicious] journey.

Anyway, my pizzas are good, it's photographing them that needs work. Food photography is not my forté.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X