South Africa’s biggest forum. Discuss, discover, and connect with thousands of members.
they catch fire more than you realize, they are expensive to fix should something go wrong and despite everything and all the advancements made in the years since the GM EV 1 debacle that was actually a good car,This just doesn't happen.
If it gets damaged to that point it's the same point at which any other car would have been written off anyway so pretty much inconsequential in the ICE vs EV argument.
Like I've shown you in another thread ICE cars catch fire far more often than EV's do by a considerable multiple.
they catch fire more than you realize, they are expensive to fix should something go wrong and despite everything and all the advancements made in the years since the GM EV 1 debacle that was actually a good car,
I mean you can compare the EV to any ICE vehicle out there, they STILL cant compete with the availability of petrol, ease of maintenece and despite the cost the fact you can carry a can of petrol with you and not call a tow truck cause the Stupid EV locks itself in P and cant be moved an inch
Sounds like a strong case for getting one 2nd-hand. Although I must admit I have no idea what the 2nd-hand market looks like at the moment.
All of the above but in the near future Insurance impact, cost and refusal to insure EV's.Have not seen this to be true having recently quoted on a full electric Geely E5 and comparing it to my Haval H6 it was very much inline considering the car is much higher value and came in much cheaper than the expected 5% of the total value per annum.
All of the above but in the near future Insurance impact, cost and refusal to insure EV's.
Which includes a secondhand battery.....
Where are you hearing this?All of the above but in the near future Insurance impact, cost and refusal to insure EV's.
Where are you hearing this?
My wife is an actuary and regularly converses with acturies in the short term insurance industry and none of them have raised any concerns or issues with EVs. In fact quite a few of them drive EVs themselves.
So if the people who actually calculate the premiums and build the risk models don't have an issue with EVs, I am not sure where you are getting your info.

BS, I am in insurance for 42yrs now.Where are you hearing this?
My wife is an actuary and regularly converses with acturies in the short term insurance industry and none of them have raised any concerns or issues with EVs. In fact quite a few of them drive EVs themselves.
So if the people who actually calculate the premiums and build the risk models don't have an issue with EVs, I am not sure where you are getting your info.
So the actuaries that are the backbone of the industry are wrong. Literally the entire insurance industry is built around their work.BS, I am in insurance for 42yrs now.
I've been in various areas of the industry.
Talk to the Fleet Insurers and get it straight from them. The specialists not the w@nkers in the industry that give it a bad name.
As in my first post it's on it's way, but already specialist fleet insurers don't want EV's.
BS, I am in insurance for 42yrs now.
I've been in various areas of the industry.
Talk to the Fleet Insurers and get it straight from them. The specialists not the w@nkers in the industry that give it a bad name.
As in my first post it's on it's way, but already specialist fleet insurers don't want EV's.
The fleet insurers are the specialists.But fleets are an entirely different proposition, that doesn’t automatically equate to the consumer level insurance.
The fleet insurers are the specialists.So the actuaries that are the backbone of the industry are wrong. Literally the entire insurance industry is built around their work.
Your list also does not make any sense, it might have made sense 10 or 15 years ago, but not anymore. Someone is leading you down the garden path.
And yes, I have spoken to one of Santam's biggest brokers who insures EVs for one of my businesses and he has mentioned nothing about what you are saying.
OK, can you give a time frame? Because my fleet insurer has no clue what you are talking about. If you want you can DM me the name of the fleet insurer that you are working with.The fleet insurers are the specialists.
You'll see. I am not talking about nothing other than Fleet Insurers as yet. It's on its way - as stated.
The fleet insurers are the specialists.
You'll see. I am not talking about nothing other than Fleet Insurers as yet. It's on its way - as stated.
That will flow through to the personal market in time.But then that doesn’t necessarily have any bearing on consumers.
It’s two entirely different markets.
Nope I have no time frame but it's coming and as I mentioned it'll either be a no or you'll pay heavily for it.OK, can you give a time frame? Because my fleet insurer has no clue what you are talking about. If you want you can DM me the name of the fleet insurer that you are working with.
However, if it they do do it would be one of the dumbest business decisions taken in history.
The whole world is shifting to electrification, not doing it would be going against the global trends and also ignore very key information around economies of scale - which is a big risk for insurance companies that they need to mitigate.
An SA insurance company that thinks it can operate outside global economic trends need to have its head read.