Main reasons you wouldn't get an EV?

Main reasons you wouldn't get an EV?

  • Cost

    Votes: 68 38.4%
  • Range anxiety

    Votes: 35 19.8%
  • Impracticality of long-distance driving

    Votes: 51 28.8%
  • Depreciation (secondhand resale value)

    Votes: 40 22.6%
  • Battery lifespan/replacement cost

    Votes: 50 28.2%
  • Lack of local support - parts replacement etc

    Votes: 20 11.3%
  • Just too many unknowns - maybe I will in a few years

    Votes: 28 15.8%
  • Lack of charging infrastructure

    Votes: 50 28.2%
  • Nothing beats the roar of a proper combustion engine

    Votes: 24 13.6%
  • Other

    Votes: 10 5.6%

  • Total voters
    177
But then that doesn’t necessarily have any bearing on consumers.

It’s two entirely different markets.
Although it is 2 different markets, there are certain underlying principals that are applicable in both.

As the world continues to transition from ICE to EV, the cost to manufacture the underlying components of an ICE vehicle will become increasingly expensive. This is ECON101, the less units of a component you manufacture, the more expensive it becomes for each of those components. It is not even debatable.

ICE vehicles will therefore become increasingly expensive to repair over time, also increasing the number of vehicles written off that exceed the threshold as uneconomical to repair. Eventually components will even become uneconomical to manufacture, although it looks like this is several decades away.

Conversely, EV's are increasingly becoming cheaper and cheaper to repair. Hardly a month goes by that some component is not cheaper than it was the month before. Plus, there is a lot of new tech, including batteries, that is in the pipeline for EV's.

So this is where I get confused, supposedly an insurance company is looking at the above and thinking: "Yeah, lets shun the thing that is simpler and cheaper to insure and rather insure the more complicated and expensive thing."
 
Nope I have no time frame but it's coming and as I mentioned it'll either be a no or you'll pay heavily for it.
As far as Insurers go the specialist fleet insurers including SHA (Stalker Hutchinson) which is recently now Santam.
Well, then we'll have to wait and see. I have been with Santam for over 20 years and started the conversation with them about electrification of parts of my fleet in South Africa just last year. At no point did they tell me, or a few other people that I am aware of, that they will not be able to insure my EV's at some point in future.

And as mentioned previously, the actuaries that my wife and I have talked to are not even working on this as an issue or problem.
 
Other: I have a new(ish) hybrid. If I were buying now, I would look at EVs.
 
Nice to have if you're a city mouse. Personally wouldn't touch it, even if I never left town.

Completely impractical for me though. Just completed a 3800km trip. Longest day 1700km. Shortest day 280km. Incidentally, I stopped at Alzu Petroport on the way back from Steelpoort, and parked next to the charging station after filling up. There was this chap standing there looking very forlorn, waiting for his vehicle to charge. Popped in for a bite to eat. He was still standing there when we got back to the car, looking a bit more depressed and sagging a bit lower against the window. Not for me, thanks.
 
Nice to have if you're a city mouse. Personally wouldn't touch it, even if I never left town.

Completely impractical for me though. Just completed a 3800km trip. Longest day 1700km. Shortest day 280km. Incidentally, I stopped at Alzu Petroport on the way back from Steelpoort, and parked next to the charging station after filling up. There was this chap standing there looking very forlorn, waiting for his vehicle to charge. Popped in for a bite to eat. He was still standing there when we got back to the car, looking a bit more depressed and sagging a bit lower against the window. Not for me, thanks.
/counts on fingers

1700km in 24 hours?
Let's be generous and say you were actually travelling for 17 of the 24 hours.

For safety you should take a 20 minute break every 2 hours or 200km.

So that's 8 safety breaks... right?

Which takes your actual moving time down to just over 13 hours. For an average moving speed of 130km/h

I call shenanigans :D
 
/counts on fingers

1700km in 24 hours?
Let's be generous and say you were actually travelling for 17 of the 24 hours.

For safety you should take a 20 minute break every 2 hours or 200km.

So that's 8 safety breaks... right?

Which takes your actual moving time down to just over 13 hours. For an average moving speed of 130km/h

I call shenanigans :D
I do lots of long distances. Leave early and try not to take the N1 if you can help it. I usually hit the road at about 2am. Nice time to drive. I don't like driving the Piet Retief area at night. Lots of free roaming animals. I try to be there at around 6 or 7, so 16 - 17 hours. Not sure where you get these safety stops from, but we stop for fuel only. Eat droewors and drink water. Carbs give you a sugar rush and crash, so no bread and chips.

Never looked at averages, but would guess moving at 115 - 120 average. Yes, it requires that you drive fairly fast where you can safely do so.

That's a fairly simple trip. Home in Cape Town to my house in Hawane, Swaziland was 18 hours through Oshoek. Lubimbi coal mine at Gwayi River in Zimbabwe, via Pandamatenga and Ramatlabama to Cape Town in about 26 hours, but 23 when we hit the border crossings right. Done those trips well over 50 times. Was a lot easier when I was younger. It's become slower over the years with traffic increases and deteriorating road conditions, but you adapt. I travel to Joburg via Carnarvon instead of the N1, for example.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X