Cool Ideas Fibre ISP – Feedback Thread 7

Thanks.

I got a call at 9h33.

At 8h45 I was getting speeds of 6-8mbs, at 9h33 after the call I tested speeds back up to 200mbs.

Not sure what is going on, I have mentioned this before, directly after I get the call the speeds magically come back to normal.
Thank you for confirming,
The only thing I can see changed is a "user request" at 09:36am, and on the ONT a disconnect at 09:33am, which was around the time our support called.
Did you do a reboot with our staff? Asthat 's the only thing I can see changed since then. Did you do a reboot prior to this during the impact? As before 09:36 and after 09:40 you were connected to the same BNG on our side.

As much as I would like, we unfortunately don't have a magic button to just fix it. If we did fix it, we would gladly take the credit for it. (I don't see how we did, apart from asking to reboot)
If this is a recurring issue where a reboot solves the issue and the issue returns frequently, then there may be an underlying issue with your router and would recommend a reset , replacement, or a timed reboot on your router
But please do fill in any gaps I may have missed, as I'm working with limited information. Many thanks.
 
Thanks.

I got a call at 9h33.

At 8h45 I was getting speeds of 6-8mbs, at 9h33 after the call I tested speeds back up to 200mbs.

Not sure what is going on, I have mentioned this before, directly after I get the call the speeds magically come back to normal.
Are these results over wireless? As mentioned by CoolEscalator it may be router or wireless related. If its an ongoing issue we can try replace the router for you.
 
Hi @CoolEscalator, I've been trying to help one of your clients and after 4 phone calls, without success, I'm hoping you or @PBCool can shed some light on this.

On 26 August and 25 September, both around 14h30ish, an Octotel/Cool Ideas fibre line in Cape Town went offline.
It seems very coincidental timing for random downtime. I'm not sure whether it happened in months prior too, it might have.

The PPPoE connection drops, and automatic router redials result in "no response from the PPP server".
Until a few minutes later everything comes back online like normal. Maybe between 2 to 5 minutes, almost certainly less than 10.

An agent at CISP said the log entries for both drops was "Lost Carrier" so the FNO/Octotel would need to give feedback which they then logged with them.
Octotel called today, the agent insisted they need to send someone to test the connection on site and would not entertain the idea of them being able to check their logs without sending out a team to test the now perfectly working connection.

Any ideas of what caused those 2x monthly brief drops? Or who I can ask to get to the bottom of this?
Does Octotel do a monthly disconnect/brief lockout/reconnect cycle?
 
Last edited:
Hi @CoolEscalator, I've been trying to help one of your clients and after 4 phone calls, without success, I'm hoping you or @PBCool can shed some light on this.

On 26 August and 25 September, both around 14h30ish, an Octotel/Cool Ideas fibre line in Cape Town went offline.
It seems very coincidental timing for random downtime. I'm not sure whether it happened in months prior too, it might have.

The PPPoE connection drops, and automatic router redials result in "no response from the PPP server".
Until a few minutes later everything comes back online like normal. Maybe between 2 to 5 minutes, almost certainly less than 10.

An agent at CISP said the log entries for both drops was "Lost Carrier" so the FNO/Octotel would need to give feedback which they then logged with them.
Octotel called today, the agent insisted they need to send someone to test the connection on site and would not entertain the idea of them being able to check their logs without sending out a team to test the now perfectly working connection.

Any ideas of what caused those 2x monthly brief drops? Or who I can ask to get to the bottom of this?
Does Octotel do a monthly disconnect/brief lockout/reconnect cycle?

1790581786421.png

Hi, yeah, I actually have a similar problem with Balwin lines at The Reid Estate.
 
Hi @CoolEscalator, I've been trying to help one of your clients and after 4 phone calls, without success, I'm hoping you or @PBCool can shed some light on this.

On 26 August and 25 September, both around 14h30ish, an Octotel/Cool Ideas fibre line in Cape Town went offline.
It seems very coincidental timing for random downtime. I'm not sure whether it happened in months prior too, it might have.

The PPPoE connection drops, and automatic router redials result in "no response from the PPP server".
Until a few minutes later everything comes back online like normal. Maybe between 2 to 5 minutes, almost certainly less than 10.

An agent at CISP said the log entries for both drops was "Lost Carrier" so the FNO/Octotel would need to give feedback which they then logged with them.
Octotel called today, the agent insisted they need to send someone to test the connection on site and would not entertain the idea of them being able to check their logs without sending out a team to test the now perfectly working connection.

Any ideas of what caused those 2x monthly brief drops? Or who I can ask to get to the bottom of this?
Does Octotel do a monthly disconnect/brief lockout/reconnect cycle?
It would unfortunately be difficult to get an exact root cause of the drops if its once a month, as Lost Carrier means that the connection was lost either due to power loss or a disconnect on the Layer 2 side (FNO), which could be anything from the ONT to anything on the FNO network handling your traffic.

To figure that out troubleshooting would need to be done such as checking the link, MTR's etc and involves monitoring your link to provide those results to the FNO.
 
It would unfortunately be difficult to get an exact root cause of the drops if its once a month, as Lost Carrier means that the connection was lost either due to power loss or a disconnect on the Layer 2 side (FNO), which could be anything from the ONT to anything on the FNO network handling your traffic.

To figure that out troubleshooting would need to be done such as checking the link, MTR's etc and involves monitoring your link to provide those results to the FNO.

Understood. So the FNO wouldn't have any info in their logs from those 2 previous instances to shed more light on their cause?
And you can confirm no regular/monthly/etc disconnect/reconnection cycle from both CISP and Octotel?
 
Understood. So the FNO wouldn't have any info in their logs from those 2 previous instances to shed more light on their cause?
And you can confirm no regular/monthly/etc disconnect/reconnection cycle from both CISP and Octotel?
Well at least from our side we don't have timed restarts anymore since we moved from Mikrotik.
What I can tell you though is there was maintenance on Wednesday between 11am-2pm where if you were connected on 100.100.101.64 or .65 you would have disconnected and reconnected, however the message would be NAS Request, not Lost Carrier.

Im not sure if Octotel would keep such logs no, but we can only ask and hope they have an answer unfortunately.
 
Well at least from our side we don't have timed restarts anymore since we moved from Mikrotik.
What I can tell you though is there was maintenance on Wednesday between 11am-2pm where if you were connected on 100.100.101.64 or .65 you would have disconnected and reconnected, however the message would be NAS Request, not Lost Carrier.

Im not sure if Octotel would keep such logs no, but we can only ask and hope they have an answer unfortunately.

Is there someone in the know at Octotel who you could ask?
'cause sending a team to site to test the line for "reported slow speeds", as the Octotel agent insisted upon doing, seemed like a less than optimal option to put it diplomatically.
 
Is there someone in the know at Octotel who you could ask?
'cause sending a team to site to test the line for "reported slow speeds", as the Octotel agent insisted upon doing, seemed like a less than optimal option to put it diplomatically.
I unfortunately don't have a direct contact, so we will have to go through their relevant channels.
Can you share a ticket number and I can ask our support to query this with octorel? Since you mentioned speaking to our support team already
 
I unfortunately don't have a direct contact, so we will have to go through their relevant channels.
Can you share a ticket number and I can ask our support to query this with octorel? Since you mentioned speaking to our support team already

Sure, I have DM''d the ticket number to you. Thanks.
 
Greetings

Is there a known net outage in the observatory, jhb, area?

Ont box has LOS flashing red, for 10 minutes now

Vuma aerial

Thank you
 
Greetings

Is there a known net outage in the observatory, jhb, area?

Ont box has LOS flashing red, for 10 minutes now

Vuma aerial

Thank you
My whole neighbourhood is now registering complaints of net failure, so it's definitely an area outage. Observatory, jhb
 
It would unfortunately be difficult to get an exact root cause of the drops if its once a month, as Lost Carrier means that the connection was lost either due to power loss or a disconnect on the Layer 2 side (FNO), which could be anything from the ONT to anything on the FNO network handling your traffic.

To figure that out troubleshooting would need to be done such as checking the link, MTR's etc and involves monitoring your link to provide those results to the FNO.
As per our conversation, which I guess the only route now continuing here - what's the chances that it is also a .co problem....
 
My whole neighbourhood is now registering complaints of net failure, so it's definitely an area outage. Observatory, jhb
@CoolEscalator I understand this is a vumatel issue, but can we please have feedback on the work their techs are doing to restore? The announcements portal isn't adequately informing us of the process, and vumatel is notorious for poor communication. Please assist, thank you.
 
Last edited:
No internet here in west rand, jhb as well.

Went down about 1 hour ago, and again now.
Sorry I typed the below message out but never sent it, I do apoligize for the delay
----
HI there, I see your link appears to be intermittent at the moment, I do see the 2 disconnects, and appears to be back up again

I see our team requested MTR tests, but we will investigate accordingly

EDIT, but i do see it has been stable since that last disconnection.
 
@CoolEscalator I understand this is a vumatel issue, but can we please have feedback on the work their techs are doing to restore? The announcements portal isn't adequately informing us of the process, and vumatel is notorious for poor communication. Please assist, thank you.
HI there, thanks for reaching out.
Please see the latest feedback from vuma
1790607695107.png
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X