Makro online marketplace sells fake SSDs in South Africa

How in 2026 are we still having people IN THE TECH INDUSTRY not know

1. 3rd party seller =/= "Makro"
2. STUPIDLY cheap = at LEAST 105% chance it's a scam

Like question EVERYTHING...

I very much doubt the author of the article didn't know.

It was likely purchased to write an article for revenue. An article which included a teardown.

Note that they returned the product:

I returned the product to Makro, stating that it was fake, and the retailer approved a refund without providing any feedback.

So this was not even a tax write off. Had they needed to keep the item because of the disassembly, the R1800 written off tax would have been a cheap expense to create an article which can be syndicated and earn ad revenue.

And it is a useful article because it tells people that fakes can be found everywhere, how to test them and to return them for a refund ASAP.

Some people could have purchased this type of device, kept it for months or years only to find out, past the return period, that it was fake or simply 'didn't work' properly.
 
I very much doubt the author of the article didn't know.

It was likely purchased to write an article for revenue. An article which included a teardown.

Note that they returned the product:

I returned the product to Makro, stating that it was fake, and the retailer approved a refund without providing any feedback.

So this was not even a tax write off. Had they needed to keep the item because of the disassembly, the R1800 written off tax would have been a cheap expense to create an article which can be syndicated and earn ad revenue.

And it is a useful article because it tells people that fakes can be found everywhere, how to test them and to return them for a refund ASAP.

Some people could have purchased this type of device, kept it for months or years only to find out, past the return period, that it was fake or simply 'didn't work' properly.
If they tore it down, that would have voided their right to return it or claim it was fake no? Some companies are really sticky if you do that.
 
If they tore it down, that would have voided their right to return it or claim it was fake no? Some companies are really sticky if you do that.

Maybe but with a tear down it makes for a far more interesting article. And as said write it off tax and the rest is just the cost of doing business. R1800 for a good article like this where there is an investigation, tear down, testing, etc. is cheap.

Anyone can buy a device, test it and see that it tops at 64GB and not 2TB and then return it. Few people would risk disassembly for the reason you cite or simply because they're not tech savvy. They don't even know what a normal SSD should look like inside, i.e. controller and NAND chips.
 
I very much doubt the author of the article didn't know.
The article starts out deceptively:
Thinking I had found a great deal — a 1TB SSD for R1,789 — I jumped at the opportunity and bought the drive.

With the current PC component price crisis pushing most 1TB SSDs to around the R3,500+ mark, and this particular 1TB SanDisk SSD to R4,000–R5,000, it seemed like a great deal.

At around 60% cheaper than most listings, it also seemed like it could have just been a great special and not a too-good-to-be-true deal. However, when it arrived, I was immediately suspicious.

That's not written like "we bought a known fake and tested it" it's written as "I got duped and then tested the drive after I became suspicious".
 
Anything that has the word "MarketPlace" is a big No from me , except FirstShop for tech stuff.My go to general / non tech online store is Geewiz.
 
Last edited:
Not just fakes but there are vendors like Laptop Accessories SA on there that ship 3000h used SSD products from a different brand than ordered as NEW. Complete scam after going back and forth with the vendor who promised to replace it but never did just making excuses. Makro not giving a hoot about fraud and refusing any feedback regarding action taken I finally returned it. Delivery driver arrived 20 minutes after return confirmed. Something very dodgy going on there.
 
The article starts out deceptively:


That's not written like "we bought a known fake and tested it" it's written as "I got duped and then tested the drive after I became suspicious".

It's written that way for 'dramatic effect'. Most people will take it as a journalist investigating a story which happened to hit him out of the blue, when it's most likely these guys decided to run a technical story on fake SSDs.

Tell me that a guy who knows how to disassemble an SSD and also run software to test it, has this sort of bad luck.
 
Here's a real bargain

Check this out on takealot: M.2 NGFF High-Speed SSD 2TB Compatible with Laptops & Desktops
 
I emailed Makro about a number of fake SSD listings a week ago and a day later they replied with "Your case has been resolved"

All of the listings are still up, like this one: https://www.makro.co.za/locateluxe-...avel-file-backup-20-tb-ssd/p/itm7b1e32666a46d

I sent a follow-up email to Massmart instead and they replied with the following:

Thank you for your follow-up email and for bringing these listings to our attention.

We would like to confirm that the matter is currently under investigation by the relevant team. As part of the actions taken, the products identified in your complaint have been delisted or are currently in the process of being delisted from the Makro Marketplace.

In addition, the seller associated with these listings has been suspended pending the outcome of the investigation.

We appreciate the detailed information you provided and the concerns raised regarding the accuracy of the product information.

Please be assured that we take such reports seriously and are reviewing the matter thoroughly in line with our marketplace policies and procedures.

We apologise for any frustration caused by the previous case closures and thank you for your patience while the investigation is being completed.

Please note that the necessary corrective actions have been implemented and the matter will be addressed and handled internally going forward.

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue and for helping us maintain the integrity of our marketplace.
 
Makros online is a mess. If I am looking for something a Marko, I want to be able to go into a makro and pick it up. Yet 90% of thier listings are now 3rd party retailers with 0 vetting and long wait times.

Amazon.co.za if I want it online. Thank you.
1790679221678.png

Click the checkbox ?
 
I wonder if the sellers at the flea market would accept if I were to point out something that's been in stock with them for a few years, if they would sell it to me at the price it was then, massive savings could be had if that's the case.

From memory they often had 2 or 3 generation old GPU's in stock in the back
No harm in trying.
 
The issue is there's a whole range of pricing from 10% the real price to 150%. So how do you know which ones are fake and which isn't with certainty? An example is the 1TB WD I got from takealot for slightly over R1000 just after the price had risen to R3000. This is what happens when pricing fluctuates widely and there's old stock still sold at a discount.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X