Minister demands equal treatment from TikTok in South Africa

"TikTok creators".... snagged it for the oxymoron thread... no dupes!
 
Dunno...seems like one of the more reasonable things he's said. If you're paying people in some countries - it would be nice to also include our country in that list.

It's all about the clicks and views.

Lower views/clicks, the less money you get. Works the same on Youtube.
 
Why would you say that in the context of this article?
Because he implies someone has to pay these people, in reality they earn their own money, last year SARS was targeting these people so I don't see how it can be that they don't make any money in SA... IDK man... sounds like BS to me...
 
Not sure how much TikTok pays for views in that rewards program, does not seem like much.
Most content creators in general, not just TikTok, do not rely on ad view income as the main income.

Brand sponsorships, Patreon member support, and merch stores are much more lucrative.

TikTok Payout that I can find are in the range of $0.40 - $1 per 1000 views. Which is pretty terrible.
 
Its generally a reasonable ask, though it would be better if the world moved on from paying these vacuous wastes of space for anything related to their opinion or "trends".... but that might just be my jaded outlook.
 
Because he implies someone has to pay these people, in reality they earn their own money, last year SARS was targeting these people so I don't see how it can be that they don't make any money in SA... IDK man... sounds like BS to me...
SARS is targeting people who supposedly earn taxable "income" from sponsorships and gifts. Nothing to do with earning from platform views. Other platforms like Youtube pay South Africans directly. Ironically Google excludes South Africa from paying apps as well.
 
SARS is targeting people who supposedly earn taxable "income" from sponsorships and gifts. Nothing to do with earning from platform views. Other platforms like Youtube pay South Africans directly. Ironically Google excludes South Africa from paying apps as well.
I see, I viewed the sponsorship income as directly that.. earning from the platform. That is how I understood it to work but apparently I am wrong.
 
I see, I viewed the sponsorship income as directly that.. earning from the platform. That is how I understood it to work but apparently I am wrong.
Those sponsorships you have to find yourself and in return you run ads on the platform. Depending on your views and subscribers it can become lucrative but it's much easier to get income from the platform. Lots of people started a small Youtube channel, got a thousand subscribers, and then started earning. First just enough to cover internet costs, then other expenses, and eventually they turned it into a business. That gets lost when platforms don't pay. Not that most content creators add anything of value but that's a different discussion and there are a few reviewers I've found to be helpful.
 
Our minister has missed the bus on this topic. TikTok is scaling back creator fund payments globally, with view counts in the millions needed to make any significant income. Many creators who were able to quit their jobs to do Tiktok full time are facing their income drying up.
 
SA and Africa in general is cheap clicks. Ads don't convert as well as they do in first world countries. Therefore the competition for ad space is higher in those countries, which means it costs more money to advertise and win ad space auctions against other advertisers, which is why those content creators earn more. Kind of like advertising during an SABC soapie vs the middle of a Springbok test.

Over the years I've released a few side projects and done some Google and Meta/FB campaigns. SA cost per install was around R10 last I checked - people download, sign up and then do nothing or uninstall. Basically junk installs. It's the same with India and many of the far east countries.

Whereas in those first world countries it's at least double the price on the lower end (Aus, NZ) and a lot more on the higher end (US, UK, EU). Difference is in these countries, many of the signups actually use the app and about 5-10% convert into paying subs. So advertisers are willing to pay a premium. High in-app engagement is essential in creating organic growth.

What this guy wants is more money, because reasons. It's a noble thought but economically daft...
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X