Have you replaced your green ID book?

Have you replaced your green ID book?

  • Yes, I've got my smart ID Card

    Votes: 66 49.6%
  • No, but I plan to do it soon

    Votes: 27 20.3%
  • No, and I'm not going to bother

    Votes: 37 27.8%
  • Other

    Votes: 3 2.3%

  • Total voters
    133
Finally yes.
Just makes it easier when traveling.
Green book is falling apart. It was issued in 1993 though.
 
Got both my SmartID and renewed my passport sorted out within 2-3 weeks, during 1 of my trips back to SA whilst residing/working in UK from 2002-2017...pretty sharp the whole process was...even sms'd me to tell the docs where ready for collection! OK, that was 2015, your milege now in 2026 may vary....

Wynberg SASSA offices in the small mall there.
 
Last edited:
Yep got my ID card when renewing my passport a couple of years ago at the bank, worked out quick and easy. My green ID book had seen one to many pools in its time and was completely broken and damaged. Like the new card
 
yip got a smart ID card only after they looked at me a whitey with certificate of citizenship
and a Foreign name from a country constantly in the news.

wasnt easy and I'm probably flagged 100 different ways , but at least my Photo is up to date and not from when I was 10,
would confuse the hell out of those selfie systems
 
Got my smart ID when I did my passport. That said the green mamba WILL NEVER DIE
 
My book still says nie-blanke , will that also be on my new ID card ?

I suppose it means you're shooting blanks, i.e. maybe you've kept your phone too close to your ballas or wearing them tight jeans too long --- actually no, it means you're capable of making babies... nie negates the blanks.

This reminds me of an old story in second lang Afrikaans HG high school - we read a book where a guy was inventing teenswartekrag. That was some crazy times back then.
 
yip got a smart ID card only after they looked at me a whitey with certificate of citizenship
and a Foreign name from a country constantly in the news.

wasnt easy and I'm probably flagged 100 different ways , but at least my Photo is up to date and not from when I was 10,
would confuse the hell out of those selfie systems

Got my naturalised ID card like 10 years ago. Country of birth is not RSA. Only had to show them the certificate of naturalisation.

Is it now called certificate of citizenship or are you just too lazy to read what it says? :)

Hey at least it's much easier with SA than with Israel.

Naturalization: Non-Jewish foreigners can apply for and receive citizenship through naturalization. This requires living in Israel for a specific period (usually at least three years as a permanent resident), demonstrating proficiency in Hebrew, and renouncing previous nationalities

However Jews can get second or third nationalities. It's only non Jews who have to renounce their old when getting Israel's, I presume.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X