Former MultiChoice employee in U.S. refugee programme for South African minorities after 3 years without a job

Shortly after the pre-screening, he was contacted to do a first round of medical checks. “It’s basically a prodding-and-poking session, and they make sure your vaccinations are up to date.”
but i thought the orange golem is against vaccines? why does he believe in science for refugees, but for his own people he goes against science by listening to a former heroine addict with brain worms?
 
but i thought the orange golem is against vaccines? why does he believe in science for refugees, but for his own people he goes against science by listening to a former heroine addict with brain worms?
These are the normal vaccines you need to get for travels.
 
Highly qualified people also tend to have a good social network, which means you're unlikely to find yourself homeless. Sounds like someone that got promotions in spite of lacking qualifications, which would make it very hard to find a new job. Especially if he is one of the older whites that got big promotions early in his career for something other than merit.

Yeah I am not going to spend much of my time dissecting why a mediocre dude wants special treatment.
 
Seems like a decent option for people left on the scrap heap of BEE.

They talk about Afrikaners all the time though and I wonder how they define that if, as I assume the interview is done by a Yank in English. Do they actually just mean white? Could a white bloke just pretend he’s an Afrikaner as I’m sure most English Saffers know at least enough Afrikaans for a conversation.

And no I’m not considering it. Just a bit confused and yet fascinated by this whole thing.
One of the couples in the first group that went over (The numbers were hidden by the media intentionally at the time) was Indian, so I would say no, Afrikaners obviously get preference, but all minorities and races are being accepted.
 
Highly qualified people also tend to have a good social network, which means you're unlikely to find yourself homeless. Sounds like someone that got promotions in spite of lacking qualifications, which would make it very hard to find a new job. Especially if he is one of the older whites that got big promotions early in his career for something other than merit.
He is in his early 50's, which means he entered the labour-market after 1994.
 
The job market internationally is quite brutal at the moment for the over 50s.

But perhaps a change of environment will help him get his positivity and optimism back, both of which are important in a job search.
 
The job market internationally is quite brutal at the moment for the over 50s.

But perhaps a change of environment will help him get his positivity and optimism back, both of which are important in a job search.

US is far more capitalist than ZA. Take this for example:
“You must have the mindset to start at the bottom and work your way up. In my case, if I have to go and pack shelves at a Walmart, I will do that.”

I am sure there are lots of employees over 50 in ZA with that attitude, but employers here are more hesitant to employ someone who is more qualified and senior than they are. And not even maliciously I think. Sort of respect for the elders here. Whereas in the US , they are far more likely to not give a f--k and just be happy you rock up for work.
 
He is in his early 50's, which means he entered the labour-market after 1994.

I'm early 40's and I entered the job market in 2001, that means nothing. At the time he entered he could still have been unfairly advantaged. That would also explain his current fanny wobble, if you're used to privilege then equality can feel like oppression.
 
Yeah I am not going to spend much of my time dissecting why a mediocre dude wants special treatment.

Somehow a person who has worked for multiple companies in a Senior middle management role is mediocre.

Guess special treatment means asking legally to go to a country where you are not denied work merely because you have white skin.

Should have instead stayed in the country, homeless and unemployed.
Because fk him, am I right?

Your hatred is showing.
 
US is far more capitalist than ZA. Take this for example:


I am sure there are lots of employees over 50 in ZA with that attitude, but employers here are more hesitant to employ someone who is more qualified and senior than they are. And not even maliciously I think. Sort of respect for the elders here. Whereas in the US , they are far more likely to not give a f--k and just be happy you rock up for work.

It's a problem in the US too. Although over 50s have a low rate of unemployment, they tend to struggle to find work if they're made redundant.

 
That is finding the work that they want, not any work available. if this guy was basically homeless I doubt he was turning his nose up at work.

It's a tricky one though. It's actually really difficult to get entry level jobs, or more junior jobs when you've held senior positions. You're generally regarded as a flight risk, as you'd bugger off as soon as something better came along - which is true; who wouldn't. Or the hiring manager for the role is intimidated at the prospect of managing someone way more experienced. Or it can be as basic as there being junior people who are just better suited to the role, due to team dynamics or because of what they're currently doing.
 
Somehow a person who has worked for multiple companies in a Senior middle management role is mediocre.

Guess special treatment means asking legally to go to a country where you are not denied work merely because you have white skin.

Should have instead stayed in the country, homeless and unemployed.
Because fk him, am I right?

Your hatred is showing.
nothing wrong with economic migration but he is by no stretch a refugee

Also you have to be pretty naïve to think this has anything to do with saving Afrikaaners and not tactic to embarrass South Africa because of the genocide case against Israel at the ICJ.
 
nothing wrong with economic migration but he is by no stretch a refugee

Also you have to be pretty naïve to think this has anything to do with saving Afrikaaners and not tactic to embarrass South Africa because of the genocide case against Israel at the ICJ.
The government has laws that literally target people in his position to be replaced by someone more socially acceptable. That's what makes it justifiable.
 
Not that we know anything of his skills and qualifications but highly skilled and qualified people usually have no issues getting into other countries via work visas instead of as refugees.
I know of a couple of skilled people using this route to emigrate to the US - the "refugee" program is faster and you get paid to move to the US. Many of them have left pretty good jobs here but they are looking to move.
 
I'm early 40's and I entered the job market in 2001, that means nothing. At the time he entered he could still have been unfairly advantaged. That would also explain his current fanny wobble, if you're used to privilege then equality can feel like oppression.
There's literally legislation on the statute book in South Africa that openly discriminates against white people. I don't know why you find it so hard to believe that this exists in the SA labour market?
 
finally we hear from somebody who is in America the land of the free and the home of the brave
working hard, building something worthwhile and not taking no for an answer,

attitudes like that is what built South africa up from the rest of useless, war torn and corrupt Africa.
at least somebody now makes a space for them in America, finally somebody notices reverse racism and calls it out.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X