Gordon_R
Honorary Master
A good advertisement for tall poles with lightning spikes. At least it wasn't a thatched roof house...
South Africa’s biggest forum. Discuss, discover, and connect with thousands of members.
I thought lightning strikes the highest object in the area.
I thought lightning strikes the highest object in the area.
Why It Doesn't Only Hit the Highest Object
- Random path: The final path of a lightning bolt is chosen step-by-step in mid-air based on local electrical charges.
- Close range only: Height only matters when the bolt gets very close to the ground (within a distance roughly equal to that object's height).
- Ground strikes: Lightning can easily strike flat open ground, parking lots, or lower areas if the local electrical field favors it.
Not highest, most conducive path to ground...I thought lightning strikes the highest object in the area.
I thought lightning strikes the highest object in the area.
The telephone pole in my dads backgarden got struck a few times back in the day, I was in the dining room about 10m from it and lightning struck, hairs all stuck upStanding inside, I've witnessed the house next to this have a light fitting struck on the exterior of the boundary wall. I felt the snap through my feet and the whole section of wall where it was (probably 70cm diameter) just went bye-bye in a puff of rubble.
The telephone pole in my dads backgarden got struck a few times back in the day, I was in the dining room about 10m from it and lightning struck, hairs all stuck up. Plus the pole glowed for a millisecond
Nope it's notHighveld's not for sissies, ne?![]()
Sadly not yet :-( but one day perhaps, though one bolt of lightning could probably charge neighbourhoods.If we could harvest the lightning maybe my batteries would be full today instead of having to pay eskom.
Sadly not yet :-( but one day perhaps, though one bolt of lightning could probably charge neighbourhoods.
Ask Spielberg. He already figured this out in Back to the Future.If we could harvest the lightning maybe my batteries would be full today instead of having to pay eskom.
Ask Spielberg. He already figured this out in Back to the Future.![]()
No, I meant the 1.21 GW from the lightning bolt to fire up the flux capacitor.Im more looking to reanimate some corpses than time travel. I think they will make good guard zombies.
We had 60mm yesterday in Lynnwood Ridge, starting at 4 pm. Of that, 15mm fell in ONE minute at about 21:40!!Anybody with a reading of how much rain came down in Garsfontein, Lynnwood Glen area for that storm.
We are away on holiday and our pet sitter sent photos this morning of our kitchen, living room and one bedroom under water. Have seen quite a few reports of similar incidents in and around Garsfontein.
So it must have been a hell of a lot of water in a short time.
Why? He only produced it, Zemeckis directed it.Ask Spielberg. He already figured this out in Back to the Future.![]()
Another wet,cold and windy day
11c now in Jhb tomorrow.Yes, I think we knew that, but here is the national forecast from a sunny and warm Cape Town: