VODACOM and new router

sonofsam

New Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2026
Messages
4
Reaction score
1
Hi all

I've had to buy a new router but am still stuck with Vodacom until 31 October.

I didn't realise how Vodacom are so unwilling to help and make you jump through about 50 hoops to use your own router.

I had the old Vodafone H500s (awful thing) and bought the Asus Tuf BE3600. Trying to get assistance from Vodacom fibre is like pulling teeth. Any idea what exactly i must ask them if necessary?

I managed to get my PPPoE credentials ([email protected]) out of Vodacom support, but when swapping over to the ASUS, it still fails to pick up an IP/establish the lease, whereas the old H500s connects right away.

From what I've gathered on similar threads, open-access lines over Vumatel usually need the WAN interface explicitly tagged with VLAN ID 10 (or 100) under the IPTV/LAN settings on third-party routers, or require a line refresh to clear the active MAC session binding.

Has anyone else on Vodacom + Vumatel had to tag VLAN IDs manually on an ASUS/third-party router to get PPPoE to negotiate? Or is Vodacom still strictly locking the port binding to the original CPE MAC behind the scenes?

Would love to hear if anyone found a specific workaround before my migration to Cool Ideas completes.
 
Nah you dont need to do any tagging, can you try post a photo of the ONT/CPE?

You can use whatever router you like with us once you've moved over.
 
Very difficult to photo the ONT due to where it is behind a TV cabinet.

I've tried just about everything with Vodacom and myself. They are notoriously difficult the moment they know you using your own router.

I have an old Vodafone router I will probably just have to stick with until I migrate on 1 November to you guys.
 

Attachments

  • 20260929_174811.jpg
    20260929_174811.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 9
Very difficult to photo the ONT due to where it is behind a TV cabinet.

I've tried just about everything with Vodacom and myself. They are notoriously difficult the moment they know you using your own router.

I have an old Vodafone router I will probably just have to stick with until I migrate on 1 November to you guys.
It may be a mac filter soon VCs side, so if you can change the mac on the router you want to use to match the VC router it may work.
 
It may be a mac filter soon VCs side, so if you can change the mac on the router you want to use to match the VC router it may work.
Thanks, tried that already amongst so many other things.

Even their "expert desk" couldn't help me or wouldn't help me?? I fail to believe there isnt away to get it right but otherwise I'll just stick it out until the line gets migrated.

I've set everything up on your end, just hoping Vodacom release the line on time!
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X