Port MTN mobile to VoIP?

Johan_Els

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 23, 2006
Messages
128
Reaction score
0
Location
Centurion
Hi,

I'm leaving the country end of the year, but would like to keep my SA mobile number running.

I've had the same number over 20 years now and there is no way to change it everywhere.

Was hoping I can port the number to a VoIP provider and keep it going.

Any providers that offer this?

Thanks,
 
Hi,

I'm leaving the country end of the year, but would like to keep my SA mobile number running.

I've had the same number over 20 years now and there is no way to change it everywhere.

Was hoping I can port the number to a VoIP provider and keep it going.

Any providers that offer this?

Thanks,

Hi Johan
You cannot PORT a mobile number to a voip network in South Africa. The best you could do is keep the SIM on a minutes contract, have the SIM divert to always Divert to a service like [url]www.freshphone.co.za [/URL] You can then login to your Fresh PHONE TMS and forward the calls at very low voip cost to your new International number.

It is long winded but we people do this instead of roaming as it is a fraction of the cost, they already have the minutes bundled into their contract and it works well. Fresh PHONE is a free service you only pay for the calls made.

That is the only way I believe you can keep your mobile number active and receive calls abroad for a very low cost.
 
It may be worth contacting http://www.number-portability.co.za/ and seeing what they have to say about it, as the last word - they actually manage the Central Registry Database of mobile and geographic numbers.

One thing to watch out for is that you may not be able to receive SMS's on a VOIP connection, etc.
 
Vodacom offers a VOIP services, may be worth your while to port to them if they can accommodate your requirements
 
Hello everyone,

I recently emigrated and bought an iPhone 18 Pro. It doesn’t have a physical SIM slot and only supports eSIM.

I have an MTN mobile number that I still use for South African banking, financial services, and receiving OTPs.

Can anyone suggest a way to port my MTN number to some kind of digital platform or eSIM service so that I can continue receiving OTPs and SMS messages?

I don’t want to have a random phone permanently plugged into a wall just to receive text messages on my MTN physical SIM, but I also don’t want to lose the MTN number.

Any other suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
 
Vodacom offers eSIM, presumably MTN does as well. Convert your physical SIM to an eSIM, load it into your iPhone. The trick is to keep your MTN number alive, usually at the lowest possible cost. Generally, that requires converting to prepaid, and maintaining the balance of the account in a positive state.
 
To my knowledge you cannot port mobile numbers to fixed VOIP lines and vice versa. I am not sure if using forwarding is possible, but I agree with @RoganDawes converting to ESIM is likely your best bet.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X