Flydubai flight diverts to Saudi Arabia amid reports of pilot fight

Many of the comments were dumb aviation ones (apart from the political/conspiracy ones).
1. Q: How did they get a knife onboard? A: Every B737 has a crash axe in the cockpit.
2. Q: Did the aircraft go supersonic? A: No, but excessive speeds can damage structures.
3. Q: Was the aircraft in a vertical dive? A: No, the ADSB descent rate is equal to 30 degrees.
4. Q: Did the plumber land the aircraft? A: No, the onboard relief pilots did.
5. Q: Why did the oxygen masks not deploy? A: There was no cabin depressurisation.
6. Q: How do you land an aircraft without a rudder? A: The rudder is mostly for crosswinds.
7. Q: Will the aircraft fly again? A: Probably not, without a very careful inspection.
8. Q: Is Boeing safer than Airbus? A: Apples versus oranges.
Etc, etc.

I didn't answer all of those, it's too exhausting. I did delete several that were argumentative, or said: If X/Y/Z not true, then a conspiracy theory/false flag/MSM coverup must the the answer...
so that aircraft is toast - too much structural damage to fly again?
 
Do we know yet if his plan was to crash the plane right then or he had another plan but the captain became suspicious leading to the attack and sudden attempt at crashing it?
 
Do we know yet if his plan was to crash the plane right then or he had another plan but the captain became suspicious leading to the attack and sudden attempt at crashing it?
Not yet, but depending on the translation, with a name like toilet oh toilet, I'm surprised he didn't try something like this sooner in life.
 
Words have a literal meaning, and a metaphorical meaning. Both can be lost when translated into another language. In particular 'bathroom' means toilet in American English, which is not the original meaning at all. Google:
Thanks. Saved me having to deal with the obduracy.
 
so that aircraft is toast - too much structural damage to fly again?

At this stage nobody knows for sure, but there are some scenarios to consider:
1. The aircraft is the subject of a criminal investigation, and may not be released for a long time.
2. The airframe has been stressed far beyond certified limits, any maybe the fastest known airspeed in a (mostly) surviving aircraft.
3. It probably will not fly as a commercial passenger aircraft until every nut, bolt, rivet, panel, control surface, structural member, etc, has been stripped down, X-rayed, and/or replaced. That may not be economically feasible. Boeing may want to 'keep' it for research purposes.
4. Would you want yourself or your loved ones to fly on that thing?

Aircraft regularly get written off (like the Miami runway excursion), and there are valuable parts such as the engines which can be reused (a pair is estimated at $30m+).
 
ok, well good for the plumber for doing what he did if it saved the passengers, but I doubt he can answer as to the structural damage caused by the dive or the sudden pull of the yoke.

The lad's plumbing career is definitely secure though, thanks to his new found fame.

"Is the captain's log clogging up your bog....?"
 
I wonder why people find it so strange that during the chaos a plumber was "behind the wheel" for something like 5 seconds. :unsure:

It's the off-duty pilots that actually stabalized and landed the plane.
 
At this stage nobody knows for sure, but there are some scenarios to consider:
1. The aircraft is the subject of a criminal investigation, and may not be released for a long time.
2. The airframe has been stressed far beyond certified limits, any maybe the fastest known airspeed in a (mostly) surviving aircraft.
3. It probably will not fly as a commercial passenger aircraft until every nut, bolt, rivet, panel, control surface, structural member, etc, has been stripped down, X-rayed, and/or replaced. That may not be economically feasible. Boeing may want to 'keep' it for research purposes.
4. Would you want yourself or your loved ones to fly on that thing?

Aircraft regularly get written off (like the Miami runway excursion), and there are valuable parts such as the engines which can be reused (a pair is estimated at $30m+).
On point 4 I don’t know, it can clearly handle a lot lol!

I’m going to feel much safer on 737 Maxs now :)

It’s still not my favorite plane that goes to the 787 I love those things. Their looks, the way it flies and handles turbulence and the those wings. I mean others are good too, I just feel so much better flying in a 787
 
I wonder why people find it so strange that during the chaos a plumber was "behind the wheel" for something like 5 seconds. :unsure:

It's the off-duty pilots that actually stabalized and landed the plane.

It's amusing more than anything else.
 
On point 4 I don’t know, it can clearly handle a lot lol!

I’m going to feel much safer on 737 Maxs now :)

It’s still not my favorite plane that goes to the 787 I love those things. Their looks, the way it flies and handles turbulence and the those wings. I mean others are good too, I just feel so much better flying in a 787
Yep. This is a good news story in more ways that one. Nobody died and the villain was not Boeing, rather one of the heroes.

I think a lot of people felt betrayed, having grown up and liking the trusted Boeing brand. Then management abused it with decisions that even I as a non-aeronautical engineer could have told you is an extremely bad idea.

As a kid I my dad took me to Jan Smuts, and we'd have lunch at an open-air restaurant overlooking the runway shortly after the new plane types came in. The 727, 737, 747. Off course, there was already the 707. The Max saga clouded those memories. This incident showed something else, positive, a redemption. It still has good bones :)

Wingnut posted a Mentour clip. Something I'd not considered, had the plane gone down in that dive, what the Max history and sentiment would have done and resulting conspiracy theories.
 
Most Israelis (myself included) hate middle seats, and if were tall (like myself) we pick E/Exit or aisle seats to be ready for the terrorist Idiots to make a move!

even on the last Kulula/comair domestic flight I was on I was singled out, and we got delayed in JHB cause somebody had a forged Boarding pass with the same seat number as me, only my unusual Israeli real name made them realize who was the legit person.
 
Most Israelis (myself included) hate middle seats, and if were tall (like myself) we pick E/Exit or aisle seats to be ready for the terrorist Idiots to make a move!

even on the last Kulula/comair domestic flight I was on I was singled out, and we got delayed in JHB cause somebody had a forged Boarding pass with the same seat number as me, only my unusual Israeli real name made them realize who was the legit person.

Only aisle seats for Israeli plumbers in future. Preferably near the front.
 
Can anybody confirm that the cabin crew was Kenyan?
 
Yep. This is a good news story in more ways that one. Nobody died and the villain was not Boeing, rather one of the heroes.

I think a lot of people felt betrayed, having grown up and liking the trusted Boeing brand. Then management abused it with decisions that even I as a non-aeronautical engineer could have told you is an extremely bad idea.

As a kid I my dad took me to Jan Smuts, and we'd have lunch at an open-air restaurant overlooking the runway shortly after the new plane types came in. The 727, 737, 747. Off course, there was already the 707. The Max saga clouded those memories. This incident showed something else, positive, a redemption. It still has good bones :)
same, I used to love OR tambo when it was still a Hub airport and marveled at the fact from right here in Africa you could fly to every inhabited continent non stop, one of very few airports where that was possible.

to be fair though the real hero was the captain who opened the door, outcome would have been Germanwings or egyptair 990 or any of the other pilot suicides there have been taking everybody with them, and again since 9/11 the cockpit has become a fortress for those who want to commit suicide for whatever reason and take hundreds of people with them,
 
At this stage nobody knows for sure, but there are some scenarios to consider:
1. The aircraft is the subject of a criminal investigation, and may not be released for a long time.
2. The airframe has been stressed far beyond certified limits, any maybe the fastest known airspeed in a (mostly) surviving aircraft.
3. It probably will not fly as a commercial passenger aircraft until every nut, bolt, rivet, panel, control surface, structural member, etc, has been stripped down, X-rayed, and/or replaced. That may not be economically feasible. Boeing may want to 'keep' it for research purposes.
4. Would you want yourself or your loved ones to fly on that thing?

Aircraft regularly get written off (like the Miami runway excursion), and there are valuable parts such as the engines which can be reused (a pair is estimated at $30m+).
British Airways Flight 2069 comes to mind
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X