Fires break out at French schools as students protest nationwide

I just love this tactic.

Funny how my incoherent rant, got such a strong response.

Do you even know what the words incoherent and rant mean?

What next? I must touch grass?

You seem upset by my questioning a silly, out of touch little anecdotal joke about the French in WW2.

Why is that? Did your grandfather suck too many German dicks in Paris so that he could get more foodstamps?

Don't worry about me laughing, sonny...I see most of your posts here.
Incoherent means something lacking logical structure or understanding. You're definitely lacking understanding here. I don't think that you realised it was a big joke and nobody took it seriously. You seemed to think it was some historically accurate reference to some actual battle the French fled through cowardice.

Rant means an angry speech or utterance. You seem, at the very least, irritated by people making the joke. Why else bother to demand receipts for it.

I know what they mean. I think I'm justified using them there.

You don't need to "touch grass". You're just taking something that's a joke way too seriously.

If you'd bothered to take note of how the whole French cowardice thing is used you'd realise it's mostly isolated to Brits taking a jab at the French or comedy skits.

It got a strong response because I was frustrated. I gave you a simple response and got a know-it-all wall of historical text we all get taught in high school as though nobody realises any of it. None of which was relevant.
 
Last edited:
If you'd bothered to take note of how the whole French cowardice thing is used you'd realise it's mostly isolated to Brits taking a jab at the French or comedy skits.

It's unfortunately not isolated to some British jibes.

I see people jump on this rickety bandwagon every time France and WW2 enters the chat.

I generally find ignorance like this rather irritating and thought I'd mention it for a change.

And in you stormed with the usual "how dare you !?!?!" response...based on ideas in YOUR head about what I may be thinking.

Incoherent means something lacking logical structure or understanding


Indeed, but important to not this is from the LISTENER'S pov, not the COMMENTER.

Huge distinction, no? And rather the actual point.
 
It's unfortunately not isolated to some British jibes.

I see people jump on this rickety bandwagon every time France and WW2 enters the chat.

I generally find ignorance like this rather irritating and thought I'd mention it for a change.

And in you stormed with the usual "how dare you !?!?!" response...based on ideas in YOUR head about what I may be thinking.
I'm sure there are an extreme minority of places where it isn't isolated to humour. I've yet to experience one.

Indeed, but important to not this is from the LISTENER'S pov, not the COMMENTER.

Huge distinction, no? And rather the actual point.
No that's not true. It's independent of the listener. It's the speech itself that can be incoherent. Speech is logical/illogical, lacking in understanding or possessing it, without the need for a listener. That was the manner in which I used the term and it's a perfectly acceptable way to use it.

Writing can be incoherent. Again that's independent of the reader.

I'm not sure where you go the idea that coherency has to be from the listener's perspective, but that's simply not true.
 
Last edited:
No, I am not a rabid bigot.
I have no problem with "diversity" when they integrate into the customs of adopted country culture. Once they do this then there is no diversity. So how does this make me a bigot? You mentioned western cities are successful because of diversity, were these cities not successful before said diversity and are only a victim of their success?
 
I have no problem with "diversity" when they integrate into the customs of adopted country culture. Once they do this then there is no diversity. So how does this make me a bigot? You mentioned western cities are successful because of diversity, were these cities not successful before said diversity and are only a victim of their success?

New York, as an example, was built on immigration. It still has the Italian district, Chinatown etc, but everyone just gets on with their lives and works together. All good.

The issue that creeps in is when people are accused of integrating "too much", like having the temerity of becoming mayor of something. Then that's also not cool. That clearly is bigotry.

Or believing that all Muslims should be deported (where to is a mystery), because they're too radical, without being able to see a hint of irony in that viewpoint.
 
New York, as an example, was built on immigration. It still has the Italian district, Chinatown etc, but everyone just gets on with their lives and works together. All good.

The issue that creeps in is when people are accused of integrating "too much", like having the temerity of becoming mayor of something. Then that's also not cool. That clearly is bigotry.

Or believing that all Muslims should be deported (where to is a mystery), because they're too radical, without being able to see a hint of irony in that viewpoint.
Yes, but they're all "american".

Why is it only western cities that have diversity?
 
Yes, but they're all "american".

I'm not sure what your point is. Chinatown in NY, and for that matter in London, has lots of signage in Chinese.

Golders Green, in London, has lots of signage in Hebrew.

I'll give you another example. A few weekends ago in London, there was a huge Saffa festival called "Lekker in London", or something like that. Full of Saffa food, Saffa music, flag waving etc etc. And that was fine, all good - as it should be.

Now imagine a bunch of Afghans did exactly the same thing, except called "London is Akbar" or something. Ranty Rupert and Nine Jobs Nige would be frothing about not integrating, raging about how it wasn't "British" and an assault on Britishness etc.

Substitute any other group of brown people for the Afghans, and the same would happen.
 
I'm not sure what your point is. Chinatown in NY, and for that matter in London, has lots of signage in Chinese.

Golders Green, in London, has lots of signage in Hebrew.

I'll give you another example. A few weekends ago in London, there was a huge Saffa festival called "Lekker in London", or something like that. Full of Saffa food, Saffa music, etc etc. And that was fine, all good - as it should be.

Now imagine a bunch of Afghans did exactly the same thing, except called "London is Akbar" or something. Ranty Rupert and Nine Jobs Nige would be frothing about not integrating, raging about how it wasn't "British" and an assault on Britishness etc.

Substitute any other group of brown people for the Afghans, and the same would happen.
The problem is that with the afghans is it doesnt stop at festivals, but rather ends up with riots in london when france lose to morroco.
 
The problem is that with the afghans is it doesnt stop at festivals, but rather ends up with riots in london when france lose to morroco.

Yes, because riots in the UK after FA cup games are totally unknown, I suppose... 😂 Not sure why Afghans would riot after a Moroccan loss either.

Football riots happen all the time - most of the main football hooligans then transition into "patriots" and cause chaos there. Tommy Robinson and Ryan Bridge are prime examples.
 
Yes, because riots in the UK after FA cup games are totally unknown, I suppose... 😂

They happen all the time - most of the main football hooligans then transition into "patriots" and cause chaos there. Tommy Robinson and Ryan Bridge are prime examples.
I thought that was a thing of the past?
 
I thought that was a thing of the past?

It happens less now, as the police smacked it quite hard. Which is probably why some of the brave fellas have become "patriots" instead.

It's a problem beyond the UK though. And I doubt whether that Tel Aviv side whose supporters are banned in quite a few places consists of Morrocans and Afghans....
 
It happens less now, as the police smacked it quite hard. Which is probably why some of the brave fellas have become "patriots" instead.

It's a problem beyond the UK though. And I doubt whether that Tel Aviv side whose supporters are banned in quite a few places consists of Morrocans and Afghans....
Are they not banned because of the naturalised morrocans and afgans?
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X