The original link was a discussion between Jacob-Rees Mogg and Tucker Carlson about Britains entry into WW2, the premise being that Britain (and the world) is a worse place because Hitler was defeated. I compared the Nazi's under Hitler to Russia under Putin - he took that to mean (somehow) that I hate Russians. I don't hate Russians under Putin, I don't hate Germans, I don't hate Americans just because of Trump and I don't hate israeli's just because of Bibi.
The mere fact that we can't empathise or get the full story about the lives of average Russians because they stifle sfree speech is part of the problem. We empathise with the US, because, despite all their faults, they still allow their own citizens the freedom to say what they want. That alone makes the US better than Russia.
Again, why does every discussion about Russia under Putin seems to get Pivoted to "USA bad too". You certainly won't see me defending this latest sh*tshow in Iran. But America is a demonstrably better society (currently) than Russian in many ways because of the freedoms allowed and the fact that they don't persecute LGBTQ people.