Fermented foods

Fire tonic (apple cider vineger, garlic, turmeric, red onion, lemon, peppercorns, cloves)
Herb vineger (acv with a bunch of random fresh herbs)
Fruit vineger (avc with plums and blackberries)
Sauerkraut (peppercorns, caraway and fennel seeds)

The vinegars aren't ferments, but they're nice splashed over salads etc. or a drink with sparkling water. They'll sit for another two weeks then strain and stick in the fridge. Kraut hopefully ready for xmas.

frmnt.jpg
 
One more for the day. Some actual homemade vinegar. Plum, grapefruit, fennel seeds, water & sugar. Soon it's alcohol, then it's vinegar.

vgr.jpg
 
Fire tonic (apple cider vineger, garlic, turmeric, red onion, lemon, peppercorns, cloves)
This stuff by itself with sparkling water is good. For a treat this + 1 tsp maple syrup in sparkling water is delicious.

Also just got this. Busy soaking the grains now, hopefully have something drinkable by the end of the week.
nutriseed_water_kefir_kit_7ecfd746-6c22-4d04-a9c1-fca5b2f81146.webp
 
Water kefir.

Not the most exciting pop but a pop nonetheless. Have seen suggestions to bin the first two batches but I couldn't wait so second batch + squeezed orange juice & pieces.

Less hassle than kombucha. No tea or scobi to deal with, just a little mountain of jelly balls lying at the bottom of the jar.

The fizzy version requires two ferments. First ferment : sugar water & jelly balls. 1-2 days later this is ready to either drink as is or tip out the liquid + to the liquid add fruit juice for another 1-2 days ferment. Jelly balls go into the next batch.

Now to try some different flavour combos.

 
Last edited:
This stuff by itself with sparkling water is good. For a treat this + 1 tsp maple syrup in sparkling water is delicious.

Also just got this. Busy soaking the grains now, hopefully have something drinkable by the end of the week.
View attachment 1882979
Do you blend the fire tonic before adding the soda water?
What is water kefir?
Not the most exciting pop but a pop nonetheless. Have seen suggestions to bin the first two batches but I couldn't wait so second batch + squeezed orange juice & pieces.

Less hassle than kombucha. No tea or scobi to deal with, just a little mountain of jelly balls lying at the bottom of the jar.

The fizzy version requires two ferments. First ferment : sugar water & jelly balls. 1-2 days later this is ready to either drink as is or tip out the liquid + to the liquid add fruit juice for another 1-2 days ferment. Jelly balls go into the next batch.

Now to try some different flavour combos.

What's in the bottle?
 
Do you blend the fire tonic before adding the soda water?
No. Stir and strain.

I've got a big 5l bottle sitting on the cupboard... been over a month just sitting there soaking away. I just grab some when I'm in the mood. Latest batch I put all the ingredients in a blender with vinegar and have a few quick pulses. Expose more of the ingredients to the vinegar.

Should probably just run it through a cloth and squeeze everything out & get the next batch going.

IMG_20260207_161807.png
What's in the bottle?
It's water kefir. Basic process in previous post. Fermented drink that uses bacteria to turn sugar water into a probiotic a bit like kombucha. I got that starter kit at Dischem. Once you have it you can keep it going indefinitely.
 
No. Stir and strain.

I've got a big 5l bottle sitting on the cupboard... been over a month just sitting there soaking away. I just grab some when I'm in the mood. Latest batch I put all the ingredients in a blender with vinegar and have a few quick pulses. Expose more of the ingredients to the vinegar.

Should probably just run it through a cloth and squeeze everything out & get the next batch going.

View attachment 1884528

It's water kefir. Basic process in previous post. Fermented drink that uses bacteria to turn sugar water into a probiotic a bit like kombucha. I got that starter kit at Dischem. Once you have it you can keep it going indefinitely.
That's interesting, what will it taste like and can you add fruit to flavour it after the fermentation?
 
That's interesting, what will it taste like and can you add fruit to flavour it after the fermentation?
See post above. Yes - you add fruit juice into the second stage of the ferment which results in carbonation. Hard to describe taste. If you're used to fermented foods this is very mild.

4 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice. This is nearly perfect. Decent carbonation, most of the sugar has been used up, nice lemony zing. Need to get more bottles and scale up the ferment.

 
Trying out this sauerkraut thing. Made it Sunday and it was already building up pressure by Monday.
How long do you guys leave it outside the fridge?

Kraut.jpg
 
Hope that lid isn't screwed on otherwise you'll have an explosion 😵‍💫

Sorry fella but the jar is too full, cabbage should be fully submerged under the brine. It's quite new so maybe reduce the cabbage and put a weight on what's left. Then recap the jar LOOSELY.
 
Hope that lid isn't screwed on otherwise you'll have an explosion 😵‍💫

Sorry fella but the jar is too full, cabbage should be fully submerged under the brine. It's quite new so maybe reduce the cabbage and put a weight on what's left. Then recap the jar LOOSELY.

I survived covid so I'm a pro pineapple beer brewer and famiar with bottle bombs. Its just on semi tight and I burp it a few times a day.

When things started out it had some liquid at the top but its floating up so I assume this is where the weight is needed? Not sure I have anything I'd feel safe putting in there with food though.
 
I survived covid so I'm a pro pineapple beer brewer and famiar with bottle bombs. Its just on semi tight and I burp it a few times a day.

When things started out it had some liquid at the top but its floating up so I assume this is where the weight is needed? Not sure I have anything I'd feel safe putting in there with food though.

I hear you. Some YouTubers use freezer bags with some water in them. Don't fill the bag, just enough to block the opening. The water spreads out and forces the cabbage below the brine.

I don't know know this woman so can't necessarily recommend but you'll get the idea from the vid:


 
I hear you. Some YouTubers use freezer bags with some water in them. Don't fill the bag, just enough to block the opening. The water spreads out and forces the cabbage below the brine.

I don't know know this woman so can't necessarily recommend but you'll get the idea from the vid:


Thanks, I'll do some mods and hopefully it'll work out.
I'll add some glass weights to my shopping list for next time.
 
Last edited:
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X