Toy drone

bar1

Expert Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2008
Messages
4,413
Reaction score
515
Hi,

My nephew (6 years), really want a drone.
Budget - R1000
I understand it is very likely that he will lose it/it will break very quickly.
Aliexperss have what seems to be some OK ones, but not sure whets going on, they cancel my orders (I tried twice), banggood are not shipping drones anymore....also not sure why (Used to get drones from them all the time).

Anything from takealot,etc that doesn't suck?
something with GPS will be great, camera quality and battery life are less important.

*I understand that whatever I get will most likely SUCK, but I promised him something*
 
I don’t know much about this stuff, but at R1k, GPS and a camera seem out of reach??

How long to batteries last for these things? Might frustrate the hell out of a kid if every 10 mins he has to charge the battery for and hour before he can use it again.

I will follow with interest, because if there is a something good and affordable, it would be a fun present to gifts kids for Christmas
 
My first drone, maybe 10 years ago was very decent and always came back to me (GPS) and I dont think it was over R1000....so I dont think it's impossible to find...lol
 
I dont have any recomendations but as a toy you can get decent ones for that kind of money. What I will say is for a 6 year old make sure you buy something you can get spares for otherwise one good crash will end the fun forever.
 
My first drone, maybe 10 years ago was very decent and always came back to me (GPS) and I dont think it was over R1000....so I dont think it's impossible to find...lol

First PC I bought 30 years ago was with Screen and keyboard and the lot was R600, so R1000 for a drone seems excessive you could buy a car for that in 1970.

What is this inflation people keep talking about :cautious:
 
Hi,

My nephew (6 years), really want a drone.
Budget - R1000
I understand it is very likely that he will lose it/it will break very quickly.
Aliexperss have what seems to be some OK ones, but not sure whets going on, they cancel my orders (I tried twice), banggood are not shipping drones anymore....also not sure why (Used to get drones from them all the time).

Anything from takealot,etc that doesn't suck?
something with GPS will be great, camera quality and battery life are less important.

*I understand that whatever I get will most likely SUCK, but I promised him something*
No GPS for that price I reckon.


Check reviews.
 
Hi,

My nephew (6 years), really want a drone.
Budget - R1000
I understand it is very likely that he will lose it/it will break very quickly.
Aliexperss have what seems to be some OK ones, but not sure whets going on, they cancel my orders (I tried twice), banggood are not shipping drones anymore....also not sure why (Used to get drones from them all the time).

Anything from takealot,etc that doesn't suck?
something with GPS will be great, camera quality and battery life are less important.

*I understand that whatever I get will most likely SUCK, but I promised him something*
Was this a serious question ? GPS ? for that price
 
I dont see why not, GPS for my FPV drone cost about R150.

This is the one I ordinarily got him:

1791462930391.png
 
anyways....got him this:

lets hope it'll last more then 10 minutes.
 
anyways....got him this:

lets hope it'll last more then 10 minutes.
Let us know. Cheap drones are great for kids learning to fly. Less forgiving but also less expensive 😅
 
See there in the reviews that the flying time is 3 minutes and charging time 2 hours. :cautious: :ROFL:

Poor child.

"Pietertjie, go play outside for 3 minutes"
 
3 Minutes in FPV flying is not too bad , so he will be ready for when he is old enough and can come fly with me
:p
 
anyways....got him this:

lets hope it'll last more then 10 minutes.
We also started with this

Not very stable, but give them the feel for it

Buy a 2nd hand dji tello next...
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X