Starlink is illegal in South Africa but that is not stopping people

Quite frankly I don't understand why Musk even panders to the guvvermint's ridiculous rules - it's not like they could really stop him from rolling out the service anyway.
 
Musk having a fit cause India won't let him run it there. Counter points point to the US not allowing Huawei and Chinese cars.
 
Despite highly restrictive access in South Africa, data from MyBroadband's Speed Test platform shows that SpaceX's Starlink satellite Internet continues to be used locally.
I don't know about "locally" but I've been known to post the occasional speed test using my starlink while I'm abroad. ATM I'm only subscribed to for the low speed standby mode package so any speedtests I do will paint an unfavourable light on Starlink.
 
Musk having a fit cause India won't let him run it there. Counter points point to the US not allowing Huawei and Chinese cars.
Starlink can launch in South Africa tomorrow if Musk isn't trying to play political football by just partnering with a local company. I mean if they can partner with Jio in India why can't they partner with Herotel or vodacom or MTN or one of a hundred license holders? Because he is playing politics. There is no hard unbreachable barrier.
 
Quite frankly I don't understand why Musk even panders to the guvvermint's ridiculous rules - it's not like they could really stop him from rolling out the service anyway.
Correct those satellites are operational and overhead, the US is definitely using them, and the only loser currently is the South African consumer. Only reason I can see other than spite, for the government refusing to legalize it, is Starlink refusing to install the interception equipment effectively preventing government from spying on the population
 
it simply comes down to the money. People want a share of the pie from the top levels and as is usual in Africa, they would sell their mother to get it. So certainly the fact that it could benefit the population means diddly lol.
 
Starlink can launch in South Africa tomorrow if Musk isn't trying to play political football by just partnering with a local company. I mean if they can partner with Jio in India why can't they partner with Herotel or vodacom or MTN or one of a hundred license holders? Because he is playing politics. There is no hard unbreachable barrier.
You call giving away 30% of your company, "partnering" ??
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X