7 GB and still not capped

Taqyon

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2003
Messages
235
Reaction score
18
Location
Milnerton
I'm on Telkom's dialup. I've been on 2.9gb yesterday, so I started all my large downloads for the following 24 hours.

This morning the downloads are still going strong. I've reconnected, still have an 165.146 address, and 40kb down.

Why am I not capped??
 
ermmm he's probably on adsl, cos no dialup user can download 2.9gb in one day.
 
desraid said:
you are going to be billed per gig! :D

you joking right?
I am in the same situation as Taqyon. Sitting at about 6GB
 
desraid said:
you are going to be billed per gig! :D

This is what I want to confirm. Must I swap to my other dialup now, or is it again a case of telkom's checks not kicking in.

I don't see how they can bill us for > 3gb. Their entire website and email reports still reports international bandwidth will be cut @ 3gb.

Besides, Telkom havent oficially notified me.

Anybody got more info? Or should I try speaking to a confused callcenter operator at Telkom.
 
I think Telkom do pretty much what they like, so I guess they would charge you for the gigs and if you dont pay up they will cut your line, blacklist you and once said amount is paid have a reconnection charge.
 
ADSL = dial up (in South Africa, at least). Okay, to be fair, he should have called it 'glorified dial-up'. :D

I am having the same mental struggle - according to Telkom Internet's homepage, the new 'fair usage average-3GB thing' should mean that as long as the average user usage is below 3GB, no one will be capped - hard of soft. http://www.telkomsa.net/

As one of our subscribers, you will find that the first improvement has been the removal of the soft cap.

Anyone interpret this otherwise, please let us know!
 
More More!

I would rape that account until they cut you off. You can always just claim you didnt know. All you saw was this ad on television with the boy downloading things off the internet, and playing games. You had no idea about this hard cap.

I think its their responsibility to implement a hard cap if that is their new policy. What are you supposed to do? Log into ADSL stats every 5 min to make sure you havent gone over your limit? Thats crap! If they dont implement it properly, you score.
 
well if they charge per gig, some people are gonna be bankrupt, "ahem" i have this friend on 100Gigs, so thats 97GigsX R75 thats uh R7275, hmm, that will take a while to pay.
 
Ive tested about 30 Telkomsa accounts, only one of them seem not to get capped.

Is this how inefficient Telkom works? They cap users manually? LOL

I wouldnt be surprised however.
 
4cer said:
well if they charge per gig, some people are gonna be bankrupt, "ahem" i have this friend on 100Gigs, so thats 97GigsX R75 thats uh R7275, hmm, that will take a while to pay.
No offense, but it's people like your friend that are making broadband hell for all of us. 100 gigs on the 18th? Come on let's be reasonable now. That's like 100% utilisation througout the month every minute of the day?? -- you can come and argue with me now and say "No but they paid for it so they should be able to use it as they wish".. I'm affraid what they paid for is a 3GB hardcap. Theoretically Telkom has the power to disable the use of that account now for 100/3 = 30 months, while forcing him to pay for those months...

I sit on my pc 24/7. I do regular downloads of torrents and whatnot. I game. I IRC. I browse.

But my bandwidth per never exceeds 20-30GB. Either these okes share their accounts to 20 ppl, or are simply abusers that should be blacklisted by Telkom IMO.
That would allow Telkom to give better, lower latency higher speed (better balance) service to the people that dont abuse.

Telkom should implement softcap of between 30-50GB, sell it for R200 an account, and bring out 8mbit+ connections and charge R400 for that, and R200 for 4meg, R100 for 2 meg and so forth.
 
Last edited:
It depends...

Yes so you do 30 gigs, thats alot for you, just because other ppl do triple that doesnt make them 'abusers'. Some people use DSL solely for downloads, when you constantly downloading, and also uploading, 100 gigs go quick! DSL is supposed to be a 24/7 connection,if you want to download all month then you should be able to...alas not in this country.

I did close to 90 gigs international last month on my 192 (running at 384). How I miss the R199 for 30 gig days... *SIGH*

I feel if telkom doesnt hardcap you, its their mistake, if you go over by..... err a couple of hundred gigs purely by accident ;P
 
Last edited:
Which internet provider are you guys with?

Remember if you go over limit, your provider gets billed for the usage that you have used. With all that they are trying, in vain, to bring down the costs for the majority of us, they cant because of a select few abusing these small caps.
 
Perhaps telkom are doing it deliberatly to see how much the average user would use??
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X