Council halts child labour

Alan

Honorary Master
Joined
Sep 30, 2005
Messages
62,474
Reaction score
2,588
While the driver and his two-man crew relaxed, the children ran to the houses, picked up bags of rubbish and carried them back to the truck.

A resident said she was devastated when one of the children picked up a heavy garbage bag outside her house.

“It fell on his foot and he bravely picked it up again and hobbled back to the truck, then struggled to get back on.

“I was furious, he could so easily have fallen and been crushed under the tyres. I ran out to scream at the driver, but was too late, he had driven off. I managed to get the number of the truck, NPC 4954.”

Another resident, who struggled to get through to the municipality, called The Witness, who photographed it.

Told about the situation, Haswell sent an instruction to the waste management division, saying that no child is allowed on the trucks or to be involved in the refuse collection service.

To assure residents that action has been taken he sent details to the paper: “Furthermore, this is an instruction to institute disciplinary action against any staff members who engage children”.

“In this regard I want a detailed report by no later than Friday, 30th November 2007 as to who was responsible for this completely unacceptable practice and what disciplinary action has been taken.”

http://www.witness.co.za/?showcontent&global[_id]=595

What next :rolleyes:
 
* snore *

What's the big deal? The council found out and are taking prompt action.

No surprise you don't find it a big deal :o

The newspaper thought was with a big front page headline. Oh well I guess it show how far backwards this country has gone. Having kids collect your garbage pales in comparison to what we're used to seeing :sick:
 
No surprise you don't find it a big deal :o

The newspaper thought was with a big front page headline. Oh well I guess it show how far backwards this country has gone. Having kids collect your garbage pales in comparison to what we're used to seeing :sick:

You really should learn to read your own newspaper. Try reading the headline slowly viz: Council halts child labour . Well done the council - nice to know that they took quick steps to stop this bad practice. There is hope. Glory hallelujah. Back to regular programming.
 
You really should learn to read your own newspaper. Try reading the headline slowly viz: Council halts child labour . Well done the council - nice to know that they took quick steps to stop this bad practice. There is hope. Glory hallelujah. Back to regular programming.

Hooray good them :rolleyes:
 
The newspaper thought was with a big front page headline. Oh well I guess it show how far backwards this country has gone. Having kids collect your garbage pales in comparison to what we're used to seeing :sick:

The newspaper in question is about as entertaining as the Enquirer, a hype headline paper
The council HALTED the issue.
It was an isolated incident, its not a nationwide problem.
Nothing but sensationalist media over one incident.
 
but if kids want to work why can't they???

Because:

Basic Conditions of Employment Act, 1997 (No. 75 of 1997)
Chapter Six: Prohibition of Employment of Children and Forced Labour

43. Prohibition of employment of children

1) No person may employ a child--

a) who is under 15 years of age; or

b) who is under the minimum school-leaving age in terms of any law, if this is 15 or older.



2) No person may employ a child in employment--

a) that is inappropriate for a person of that age;

b) that places at risk the child's well-being, education, physical or mental health, or spiritual, moral or social development.



3) A person who employs a child in contravention of subsection (1) or (2) commits an offence.
 


ag I'm not interested in the act at all; I am interested in having my question answered, NOT by someone resorting to quoting laws put in place by man. If a child wishes to work and earn money which will help feed and clothe him why can he not be allowed that choice?
 
ag I'm not interested in the act at all; I am interested in having my question answered, NOT by someone resorting to quoting laws put in place by man. If a child wishes to work and earn money which will help feed and clothe him why can he not be allowed that choice?

ag ja why not hey?
:eek:
 
ag I'm not interested in the act at all; I am interested in having my question answered, NOT by someone resorting to quoting laws put in place by man. If a child wishes to work and earn money which will help feed and clothe him why can he not be allowed that choice?

If it was his choice, then maybe yes, and if it can be proven that the child would not benefit from schooling or any other education.
 
Sweetlicks said:
ag I'm not interested in the act at all; I am interested in having my question answered, NOT by someone resorting to quoting laws put in place by man. If a child wishes to work and earn money which will help feed and clothe him why can he not be allowed that choice?

Shame, won't somebody please think of the children. :D
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X