Do you enjoy hunting?

Do you enjoy hunting?

  • Yes

    Votes: 60 24.0%
  • No

    Votes: 57 22.8%
  • I have never been hunting

    Votes: 122 48.8%
  • Other

    Votes: 11 4.4%

  • Total voters
    250
It slides all the way back and into the first of three slots in the barrel. You need to remove the laser from the bracket in order to do so.
You're also meant to calibrate it - if I recall.

Only have an occasional fly in my house. So the bug a salt will just gather salt.

Can be used to spice food :D
 
  • Haha
Reactions: rh1
Option A: Feedlot meat, spending their last couple of weeks in horrific conditions, then stressed out in a truck, standing shoulder to shoulder and shitting on each other. Queued up at the slaughterhouse, getting more stressed as they hear their kin getting killed. Arrives nicely packaged in your steers burger.

Option B: Free-range Springbok. Standing around one second, dead the next. No antibiotics, grass fed.

Option C: Veganism. Only rabbits, mice, ducks, geese, frogs, warthogs, bush pigs killed to make space for and protect crops.

There is no way of feeding 7B people without mass killing. You just need to pick your poison.
 
why do people say you need to get your hands dirty

why cant we hunt and do job creation by letting others clean and skin and all
Because then you're not a "real hunter".

I dunno, I'm being sarcastic. Strikes me as something to do as well. Me personally, I see no problem with this, but I also didn't grow up on a farm.
 
why do people say you need to get your hands dirty

why cant we hunt and do job creation by letting others clean and skin and all
I personally feel people need to di this, at least once. Just to appreciate what happens after the hunt.

Its the same as getting the meat processed. Ive done it before so I understand how much work it it and I appreciate thw butcher and his craft even more
 
I personally feel people need to di this, at least once. Just to appreciate what happens after the hunt.

Its the same as getting the meat processed. Ive done it before so I understand how much work it it and I appreciate thw butcher and his craft even more

I'm sort of on the same page as you. I'm a new hunter, and as a self-imposed apprenticeship I've done it all a few times now, and it's good to know how. Field dressing, skinning, butchering, processing. It's a lot of work.

Now after a few years (this will be my 3rd year as a hunter) I just field dress the animals and then hand it over the the skinner.

Why deprive the skinner of his R100 or so tip per animal, and spend hours in the skinning shed during my once per year, limited time away from work, when I could be at the lodge chilling with mates after a long day in the field.

Plus when it comes to processing back at home, a professional butcher does a better job, and does it quicker than I can hope to achieve.

I'm sure the super hardcore can process a whole eland with a swiss knife and a potato peeler, but that's not for me. I'll need a shed full of equipment, which I don't have space for, or the inclination or budget to buy.
 
Perhaps he should have spent more time honing his skill... That's on him.

This happens way more often than you want to admit. Tell me I am wrong that an armed guide/professional hunter follows along on many of these trips, ready to take a shot in the event that the person fvcks up and doesn't score an immediate kill.

Hunting may be more ethical and cleaner than a slaughterhouse, but it isn't faultless.

Most obvious example of the above is hunting buffalo. Common knowledge even to those that don't hunt that a buffalo won't always be dropped on the first shot, and it either charges the source or runs off (and there are videos all over the internet to confirm this). A buffalo that has just been shot will be in some sort of distress, so your hunt hasn't been clean and ethical.
 
This happens way more often than you want to admit. Tell me I am wrong that an armed guide/professional hunter follows along on many of these trips, ready to take a shot in the event that the person fvcks up and doesn't score an immediate kill.

Hunting may be more ethical and cleaner than a slaughterhouse, but it isn't faultless.

Most obvious example of the above is hunting buffalo. Common knowledge even to those that don't hunt that a buffalo won't always be dropped on the first shot, and it either charges the source or runs off (and there are videos all over the internet to confirm this). A buffalo that has just been shot will be in some sort of distress, so your hunt hasn't been clean and ethical.
Have you ever been to a feedlot?
 
No I'm vegan.
Woke word for poor hunter.
With hunting one can be sure that the animal has not been shot full of antibiotics and hormones during its life.
I grew up on the edge of the Luangwa valley and always shot for the pot, open sight and never with a scope. Occasionally, an animal became a danger to a village and had to be shot. Within minutes the area was swarming with tribesmen who wanted some of the meat and would happily kill each other for it.
 
Last edited:
Ja no, hunting isn't always clean either.

My dad's friend went hunting and maimed a gazelle by hitting it in the shoulder. He had to shoot it again from closer range while the animal was trying to get away.

First and last time he hunted, and he didn't even take the meat from that kill, he let the farm staff have the animal.
This happens. Even to me once, and only once. I was young and stupid, my dad took me to a game farm in Grahamstown to shoot a Blesbuck. Farm was owned by a well known writer for Man Magnum magazine. We went on a walk and stalk and got to within 100m of a herd. We both agreed on an animal and I took to my most comfortable stance. I had some foliage in the way and I looked at the farmer and shook my head, no shot.

Farmer said, here, take my shooting stick. Young and listening to the more experienced hunter, I did so. Out of my comfort zone, I wounded the animal. We tracked her the rest of the day. Never again would I do anything out of my comfort zone when hunting, valuable lesson learned. The farmer also apologized afterward, he realized I said no for a reason and should have left it as is.
 
why do people say you need to get your hands dirty

why cant we hunt and do job creation by letting others clean and skin and all
I see it as a "grounding" moment, you and the animal.

Most people only go shoot one or two buck per year so not really unreasonable to do a bit of "dirty work" and nothing stops you from tipping the staff, they do a hell of a lot in the background anyways.

I have been on herd culls out in the karoo where we had to eliminate an entire population of Springbuck due to disease. I am talking shooting 50+ buck per day. It's not a nice feeling at all after the fact.

On the flip-side I have also sat in the left seat of a chopper with a dart gun, roller coaster has nothing on that!

And to end off:

We had one shoot in the karoo, all was going well till a sop-koppie came limping by, shot in the hind quarter. I put a end to her misery quickly. That night everyone was having a go at me laughing but I kept quiet. The farmer came around, walked straight to the one doctor laughing the loudest and said to him, you're the only one shooting with a .222, here's your bullet head, I removed it from the calf myself, so now you can stop laughing and pack up, you will never shoot in this district again.

Hunting can be a ugly thing.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X