Illegal 5fm Podcasts?!

Er..., yes they are if you distribute copyrighted music. Just because Roger Goode remixes a song, it doesn't make the song his to distribute as he sees fit, the original copyright owners should be paid.

Who gives RiSA the right? er, the artists who signed contracts with the music companies...
RTFA...
If a podcast is just the show that was broadcast, then no-one should be entitled to any further compensation. There is no real difference between downloading it directly and recording it off the air. Either way you end up with a copy to which you may listen repeatedly as it suits you. Now that the music mafia really hates. They want you to pay everytime you listen to a piece of music.

RISA are there to protect the interests of the music labels. The major music labels are there to screw over the artists. Only the really gullible believe them when they talk about protecting artists.
 
Any music on his show is cleared for broadcast only, not for redistribution via download. His own music (i.e. music that he creates, he is welcome to distribute any way he wants - if his contract terms with his record company allow him to.
Broadcast is distribution. They're playing semantics so they can inflate their bloated bank accounts.
 
under fair use provisions which is about a 12 second clip of a commercial tune.

5FM should really know better.

http://www.podsafe.com/
Fair use? I think you have the wrong country.

5fm are entirely correct that they should be allowed to make their shows available on their web site. RISA smelt money and thought they create another cash cow to milk.
 
Why would having a podcast make you more likely to go see them live than hearing it on the radio?

If I get free music for download, then the artists and the record industry can go get f*cked... hey, they're all multi millionaires anyway.
Don't own a radio. Never plan to own one again.

The major label part of the music industry can go get f*cked. If I like a musician's music I'll buy it. After I've had time to give it a good listen. And if they're not on a major label. If they are I am quite willing to send a little cash directly to them as long as none of it falls into the hands of the music mafia.
 
why are the artists happy about 5FM giving their music away?
If providing podcasts of a show is giving it away, then broadcasting the show is also giving it away. Let's not get drawn into the bullsh*t semantics used by the music industry to screw both the artists and the listeners. You get two kinds of 'artists' - there are the music lovers who want people to hear their music, relying on those who do enjoy it to pay for it and there are those who are in it just for the money. The former are the ones who encourage recording of their live shows, trading of bootlegs and consider downloading to be free publicity, while the latter just whine about poor they are and how they're being robbed everytime someone donwloads their music.

We've had this entire debate with taping. The music industry didn't collapse, and it wouldn't be killed by downloading either. People who trade music online are using their time and resources; it costs the musicians and labels nothing to get their music widely heard.
 
The music industry would not try to fight the SABC if they didn't think they had a case- especially 5FM, radio is a requirement for them to market their product - they need 5FM.

I'm not a fan of the music industry in general (they're slow and to an extent are to blame for the current situation), but they have every right to defend their assets. RiSA is trying to ensure that the muisic is not stolen, if it is they lose money (not so serious to you and me, maybe) but it also means that the artist gets ripped off.
It is not really a matter of having a case, but rather that they'll try threats and bullying anyway.

Ever seen a music contract? The artists lose so little if you sent them 50c they'd be making more money than they do off a CD.
 
One grey area is that a National broadcaster is allowed certain liberties with copyright material, this goes back to a very old concession for counties like Canada, in order to cope with different time zones. Needless to say it has been exploited for other purposes. It most certainly does not cover downloads - In fact streaming audio is a grey area that a lot of radio stations have stayed clear of for legal reasons, there again I would think that 5FM would look this as being a way to boost their amp ratings and therefore touch the advertisers for some extra cash

But don't expect to hear any independent artists any time soon, the story is that it would not do to be in breach of copyright, you never know when some song might have a dodgy sample in it (Mechanical copyright) or it might be similar to a existing song (song copyright)
Because they know the mafia are just waiting to run their extortion racket on them. Especially in countries like the US where the politicians are bought and paid.

The murder of sampling by the industry is despicable, those responsible shoot be dragged into the street and hacked to death.

Podcasting is a grey area because it is really just broadcasting.
 
noxibox you obviously have strong opinions. Don't let all the facts get in the way of them. You're the one that's obviously never seen a music contract, yes some artists get ripped off by the majors, but far more get ripped off by their own managers. Most artists are more than happy to get a major contract - because it means that someone is marketing their music. Don't argue a point if you don't understand both sides of the issue. You just keep on downloading those songs, and telling yourself that it's not piracy.
 
Podcasting is a grey area because it is really just broadcasting.

er riiiiight. So the mechanical rights that belong to the artist mean nothing. Jeez, go learn a bit about intellectual property, 'cos now you're just writing ****.
 
All I can say is: I hear something on the radio (or somewhere else - downloaded off the net) - I go into the music store to see if I can find the music - I do though it is very expensive - I get it home and discover that overall the cd is cr#p - I now own a cd (bought at R200 odd) that has one decent song. Or - I download something, the quality is crap - I go into the music store; expensive - I go to a local online store (joke) - just as expensive with all sort of caveats as to what I can do or not do in terms of listening to what I've just bought (on my various listening devices)...

I would rather not listen to their ripoff industry - do they listen to us?

There are thousands of unsigned bands on the internet - thousands of free tracks - but the "music industry" wants to shaft me R200 or R300 or more - for something that costs cents to physically produce.

Then they wonder that the industry is in crises. Who made the crises if not the record labels?
 
s?

There are thousands of unsigned bands on the internet - thousands of free tracks - but the "music industry" wants to shaft me R200 or R300 or more - for something that costs cents to physically produce.

dude, where do you shop? R300 for a CD?:eek:
 
dude, where do you shop? R300 for a CD?:eek:
:D Well that just shows how long ago I bought a cd!? I wandered into Musica the other day - quick shifty at the shelves -. The last time I really looked at cd's (the buddha bar) they were R400, R500 - I mean - who has R400 or R500 to spend on a cd (a year or so ago?) Then they wonder the industry is in crises - so strangle anything alternate - let's hope and pray there isn't another way - and kill any alternate that may - I mean - choice and reasonable pricing? Never heard of it and neither has my big house, my expense account or my puppy - and they can whine until they're blue in the face - we run this industry and we'll keep our stranglehold good and tight.

I have no answers and I don't know the legalities - but I have my eyes and my wallet - and 101 alternatives - of which my cd collection is now small or non-existant. One day maybe I'll support their industry again - and until then I feel sorry for the signed artists that are being ripped off - imagine how I feel.
 
dude, are the cd's you buy plated in platinum?
Well - I told you - I don't buy cd's - but the last time I looked they weren't cheap. How much are you paying for cd's? Or dvd's? As said - last I looked - R400 was the price on the label. Maybe in the last year cd's have dropped to R90 - R100... I'll tell you what - I'll go look and post here.
 
" dude, where do you shop? R300 for a CD? "

Clearly Telkom have opened up a shop - Why wait for the future, we bring inflation to you, tomorrows prices today, touch tomorrow, bust today, give us your money, you have no say - In big neon Lights, the customer has no rights
 
musica you can generally get cd's from R90 - R200. I have over 200 dvds and the most I paid for one was around R300. I generally pay under 100 bucks for a DVD
 
musica you can generally get cd's from R90 - R200. I have over 200 dvds and the most I paid for one was around R300. I generally pay under 100 bucks for a DVD
Would seem I'm overdue to a visit to musica - I really will go look!! - (Or tell me where you are buying dvd's for under a 100 bucks?)
 
Kalahari.net (kalahari is currently having a special on their DVDs, with up to 70% off), Phase2, Pick 'n Pay, Digital Planet, Makro, etc

We usually go through the bargain bins and we usually hold off buying the new releases for a while. The most we've paid in the last year was R159 for the Chronicles of Narnia (Collector's Edition), but most every other DVD in the last year was ~ R75 - R100
 
dude, where do you shop? R300 for a CD?:eek:
Well, as an example:

My favourite genres are metal and punk; bands like:

In Flames, At the Gates, Soilwork, Children of Bodom, Bad Religion, Pennywise, NOFX, Millencolin, Opeth, Nightwish, Sonata Arctica, etc.

Since the SAfrica music industry doesn't distribute these bands I am forced to buy imports. Imports cost from R200 - R400 (at Look & Listen, CD Warehouse, Musica,...)

If you buy directly from overseas you can get most of these imported CDs for R90 a pop (incl shipping). Yet, a locally printed CD costs around R110 on average. What the **** is wrong with the music industry in SA?
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X