New PC has Windows 8 pre-installed & Dont Want It

Arg!!!! My mom got a K4305 Vodacom modem with this thing and it only seems to work through a windows store app!!! No way to control its operation from desktop...

What's the use of it starting up super fast if you can't use the software on the device? Its a lost cause at this stage and I'll just have to go Win7
 
Last edited:
OMG! My mother got a notebook with Win8 on... when operating in desktop to get the side-start-bar-thing to go to control panel open is such a hassle.

Mouse to top right corner, click "settings", click "control panel" - how could it be easier?
Or just press the start button and type the first few letters of whatever you are looking for.

I think you've prejudged Windows 8.
 
Last edited:
Mouse to top right corner, click "settings", click "control panel" - how could it be easier?
Or just press the start button and type the first few letters of whatever you are looking for.

I think you've prejudged Windows 8.

Its being judged on ease of use. I have no exposure to it and have made no comments on it that I am aware of, I have largely ignored Windows 8 and complaints and praise about it..

My mother was able to install some store games but she is unable to easily close them (why make closing thing difficult?). Why must I only be able to use the K4305 Vodacom modem through the store app? Its very inefficient to have to go to that app and then control it that way, and all those app things seem very slow in opening.

The whole tablet OS app thing is really bad for a desktop OS. Yes, I love how fast it boots and how task manager displays the info, but for the frustrations it causes, a thumbs down.
 
-Download Retail Windows (It is legal because you essentially bought windows 8 OEM) PM for links
-Burn ISO to DVD
-Insert DVD
-Format
-Install
-Enjoy

my laptop came with win 7 home prem and I upgraded to win 8 cos the laptop deal came with a disk and "free" license provided you upgrade within 2 months, which i did, worst mistake ever, i HATE win 8, so want to downgrade to what I had preinstalled so what you are basically saying is i can follow this link????

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-need-to/e75d6557-587f-495e-9970-cddc795ac38d

????
 
my laptop came with win 7 home prem and I upgraded to win 8 cos the laptop deal came with a disk and "free" license provided you upgrade within 2 months, which i did, worst mistake ever, i HATE win 8, so want to downgrade to what I had preinstalled so what you are basically saying is i can follow this link????

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-need-to/e75d6557-587f-495e-9970-cddc795ac38d

????
Most laptops come with a recovery partition. There is a process you follow on boot and it will restore the PC to a factory image which in your case would be Windows 7.
 
Most laptops come with a recovery partition. There is a process you follow on boot and it will restore the PC to a factory image which in your case would be Windows 7.

thank you
but can you please please tell me this process??? i will need exact steps please :)

thanks
 
It depends on make and model of the laptop, I have never done this process. I'm sure it would either be in the documentation of the device you received inside the packaging or else you will have to research it via the model of laptop on google or as last resort just phone the helpdesk of the laptop manufacturer.

For example my mothers laptop came with Windows 8 and she (and I) hated it. I have upgraded it to Windows 7 but left the Windows 8 recovery partition on it should it ever be required (which I doubt). I know that the Compaq laptop wants one to press F11 during boot for the recovery process.
 
I think before changing OS make sure there are drivers... setup a new HP for a staff member downgraded to Windows 7 and didnt install all drivers on setup like normal and HP site didnt have Windows 7 drivers for all hardware...Wireless, bluetooth etc.... had to use the recovery and put Windows 8 back on
 
I think before changing OS make sure there are drivers... setup a new HP for a staff member downgraded to Windows 7 and didnt install all drivers on setup like normal and HP site didnt have Windows 7 drivers for all hardware...Wireless, bluetooth etc.... had to use the recovery and put Windows 8 back on

kuk, that doesn't right to me. windows 7 and 8 are virtually the exact same thing. Drivers on 7 should work with 8, there is no way hp or any company would ensure certain hardware won't on anything but windows8 and considering windows 8 is windows 7 with metro i think there is some nonsense being spoken but i may be mistaken.
 
The driver installer will typically have a version check, and this can easily prevent installing Windows 7 drivers on Windows 8 and vice-versa. It can usually be bypassed though. Definitely something to check when downgrading to Windows 7.
 
The laptop I talked about earlier in this thread also doesn't have Windows 7 drivers at all. Works fine on the Win8 drivers I downloaded.

BTW, its running smooth on Win7 and my mother is happy with using it, so I am happy.
 
kuk, that doesn't right to me. windows 7 and 8 are virtually the exact same thing. Drivers on 7 should work with 8, there is no way hp or any company would ensure certain hardware won't on anything but windows8 and considering windows 8 is windows 7 with metro i think there is some nonsense being spoken but i may be mistaken.

ha ha I don't make the rules... As per HP when I logged a call with them. Hardware has not been tested with Windows 7 and could not guarantee me that it would work and site had no Windows 7 drivers... Didn't try Windows 8 drivers thou
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X