SA's history gets online boost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afrikaans is African. :) Furthermore, what I said concerning African things before, as you refer to it, is in context when people try exalt and trumpet it above Boere and Afrikaans, pointing out the reality, is not against African things.

I am unable to browse the site, any comments so far?


Dont you agree Afrikaans is African ?

There is an article on time magazines website archive where in 1969 black African leaders agreed white people especially Afrikaans white people are Africans and not settlers/colonials. There reason a "tribe" that has been living in the same country for more than 400 years cant be considered colonialist.

Will search for the link again later
 
Dont you agree Afrikaans is African ?

There is an article on time magazines website archive where in 1969 black African leaders agreed white people especially Afrikaans white people are Africans and not settlers/colonials. There reason a "tribe" that has been living in the same country for more than 400 years cant be considered colonialist.

Will search for the link again later

Please do so. I'd like to shred it to bits.:D
 
Please do so. I'd like to shred it to bits.:D

Unlike the white settlers of Rhodesia or the French pieds-noirs of Algeria, the Afrikaners have no ties to a European motherland. After more than three centuries in South Africa, they have as much right to claim it as their true home as Canadians have to claim Ontario. That fact was recognized by black African leaders at the Lusaka conference of 1969, which acknowledged that the 4.3 million South African whites (equivalent to the population of Finland) were not colonialists.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,915729-3,00.html

I have marked the text for you so you wont get confused ;)

But still you have not answered my question do you think Afrikaans people are not African ?
 
Which "victors" again please?
How is that relevant? My whole contention is that win or lose you still get to publish your view (or version) of history. This alone will give future historians a much fuller picture.
This is an adjustment of history. Some call it a denegration of culture. She doesn't know about Afrikaner history, because the government doesn't want her to.
You cant adjust history unless you control the flow of information. What the government wants isn't important - the information is there and if its not it can easly be disseminated.

If a school doesn't teach something then parents can and should. I dont see that a SA school is going to teach my kids much about US or UK history but there's nothing preventing me from filling in the gaps.
 
By "Africans", do you mean black people? It gets confusing ...:rolleyes:
The problem with black SA pride, it that it very often comes across in the form of extreme, but misplaced, arrogance..
Gone are the days when blacks said 'yes baas' all day long. Get used to it :D :D





She doesn't know about Afrikaner history, because the government doesn't want her to.
Where do you get off talking rubbish like that? There are gvt funded univeristies, schools and colleges that teach in Afrikaans. A public broadcaster that broadcasts in Afrikaans, you get Afrikaans dedicated newspapers, magazines, public radio stations etc...Hell they even have their own piece of territory (ORANIA) where they can exist by themselves...This victim mentality is misplaced?
 
Last edited:
By "Africans", do you mean black people? It gets confusing ...:rolleyes:

Why are you guys so eager to be called africans all of a sudden, when everyone knows "for a fact" that africans are a barbaric lot whose only purpose is to serve his master. I mean everybody knows that Africans are an incompetent bunch cannot govern themselves without #@%ing it up remember. Why would you want to be associated with such a backward people?:confused:


The problem with black SA pride, it that it very often comes across in the form of extreme, but misplaced, arrogance.

I'm african to the core. My people are the ones who fought and died to rid the world of tags like barbaric, backwards, uncivilised, corrupt etc, etc. Not entrech them. If you genuinely want to be considered african, the most basic act you can do is not to contribute to promoting such misconceptions. That might be hard for you but that's what being african means mnr. You can start by changing you Name from skeptic to something more positive.



LOL. Are you joking?

No i'm dead serious.
 
Why are you guys so eager to be called africans all of a sudden, when everyone knows "for a fact" that africans are a barbaric lot whose only purpose is to serve his master. I mean everybody knows that Africans are an incompetent bunch cannot govern themselves without #@%ing it up remember.
.

BY Africans do you mean black african people or white african people :D :p
 
Gone are the days when blacks said 'yes baas' all day long. Get used to it :D :D

People don't need to say it, they are still repeating it in their minds, like you are. Your grandfather had more dignity when he said it, than you do today acting like you do. Speak to him about the white people, am sure he hates us less than you do. I am sure he respects us, not out of fear though. You must respect others, your current attitude makes you pathetic.

Why are you guys so eager to be called africans all of a sudden, when everyone knows "for a fact" that africans are a barbaric lot whose only purpose is to serve his master. I mean everybody knows that Africans are an incompetent bunch cannot govern themselves without #@%ing it up remember. Why would you want to be associated with such a backward people?:confused:

I'm african to the core. My people are the ones who fought and died to rid the world of tags like barbaric, backwards, uncivilised, corrupt etc, etc. Not entrech them. If you genuinely want to be considered african, the most basic act you can do is not to contribute to promoting such misconceptions. That might be hard for you but that's what being african means mnr. You can start by changing you Name from skeptic to something more positive.

No i'm dead serious.

Seriously, you are making a mockery of everything you can be proud of, it is disgusting.
 
Last edited:
I'm white and African. More so South African, what's the all the fuss about?
 
Please do so. I'd like to shred it to bits.:D

Possibly because you are and educated authority on this matter?

When I leave this country I will shake the dust from my feet and curse this country till the day it bleeds itself to death. That is the day when the African Afrikaners will come back to pick up the pieces. Enjoy sitting on your high horse, you will fall hard on your face.
 
Gone are the days when blacks said 'yes baas' all day long. Get used to it :D:D

People don't need to say it, they are still repeating it in their minds, like you are. Your grandfather had more dignity when he said it, than you do today acting like you do. Speak to him about the white people, am sure he hates us less than you do. I am sure he respects us, not out of fear though. You must respect others, your current attitude makes you pathetic.
Yes, bageloo, say it with feeling. :p
That is the day when the African Afrikaners will come back to pick up the pieces.... Enjoy sitting on your high horse, you will fall hard on your face.

Like Eugene Terre'blanche?
 
Interesting to see how this thread has developed.

edc said:
Was hoping to see if they included the Boere history?
Natural enough response.
So why turn this into a racist issue?
Jozi101 said:
Aren't you English? No offense but why are you so infatuated with everything Afrikaans?
and escalates to
Jozi101 said:
I'm not. Why are you against anything african?
and carries on!

Something I am sick and tired of if everything being turned into a racist issue and abused and beaten to death after that! What will become of South Africa if we cannot move on.

If somebody is incompetent, he is incompetent - No racial tag!
If somebody was a leader of a group, lived in the past - he was a leader, lived in the past, good or bad - that is history. If we strip the facts from history, we may as well teach Cinderella and the Seven Dwarfs in schools during history lessons.

The danger in destroying everything we do not want to acknowledge is that our children will fall into the same trap.

As for this remark:
Jozi101 said:
Please do so. I'd like to shred it to bits.
It surely does not help! You have a major problem! A big one!

Jozi101 said:
Why are you guys so eager to be called africans all of a sudden
Africans vs Afrikaans: Uhmmmmm ....

Jozi101 said:
Africans are an incompetent bunch cannot govern themselves without #@%ing it up remember

Some are - when they become so rabid about issues that they deny reality. As for the definition of African - note my previous comment. (History repeating itself - in reverse?)

I can go on like this ... but before I am labeled a a racist, I notice no entries for some of the traditional Khoikhoi leaders :confused:

Maybe we should go back to the borders of 400 years ago. This would mean less problems for the Western Cape .... (or has that part of history also been dropped by the wayside?)

Jozi - Catch a wake up! No matter what language you speak, what your colour, etc etc - read this!! If you do not like it, you know where to go!

(I seriously hope this was simply a trolling excercise, Jozi)
 
Last edited:
Bit too obviously one sided I think, I dont recall the Grey St area of Durban being called "Coolie Town". Perhaps it involves too much re writing and insufficient objectivity.
 
Interesting to see how this thread has developed.


Natural enough response.
So why turn this into a racist issue?

and escalates to

and carries on!

Something I am sick and tired of if everything being turned into a racist issue and abused and beaten to death after that! What will become of South Africa if we cannot move on.

If somebody is incompetent, he is incompetent - No racial tag!
If somebody was a leader of a group, lived in the past - he was a leader, lived in the past, good or bad - that is history. If we strip the facts from history, we may as well teach Cinderella and the Seven Dwarfs in schools during history lessons.

The danger in destroying everything we do not want to acknowledge is that our children will fall into the same trap.

As for this remark:

It surely does not help! You have a major problem! A big one!


Africans vs Afrikaans: Uhmmmmm ....



Some are - when they become so rabid about issues that they deny reality. As for the definition of African - note my previous comment. (History repeating itself - in reverse?)

I can go on like this ... but before I am labeled a a racist, I notice no entries for some of the traditional Khoikhoi leaders :confused:

Maybe we should go back to the borders of 400 years ago. This would mean less problems for the Western Cape .... (or has that part of history also been dropped by the wayside?)

Jozi - Catch a wake up! No matter what language you speak, what your colour, etc etc - read this!! If you do not like it, you know where to go!

(I seriously hope this was simply a trolling excercise, Jozi)

Ok, this is too much to respond to. Mostly nonsense.
 
Okay, so let us break it up then into more manageable chunks. Which part is nonsense? A yes or no will suffice, then we can get into a real a discussion .... (maybe we should start a Jozi thread?)

A:
Interesting to see how this thread has developed.

Any problems with this observations?

B:
b) Quote: Originally Posted by edc: Was hoping to see if they included the Boere history?
Me: Natural enough response. So why turn this into a racist issue?

Any problem with the right of anybody to look for his cultural roots in any history reference?

C:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozi101: Aren't you English? No offense but why are you so infatuated with everything Afrikaans?
and escalates to
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozi101
I'm not. Why are you against anything african?
Me: and carries on!

D:
Me: Something I am sick and tired of if everything being turned into a racist issue and abused and beaten to death after that! What will become of South Africa if we cannot move on.

E:
If somebody is incompetent, he is incompetent - No racial tag!
If somebody was a leader of a group, lived in the past - he was a leader, lived in the past, good or bad - that is history. If we strip the facts from history, we may as well teach Cinderella and the Seven Dwarfs in schools during history lessons.

F:
The danger in destroying everything we do not want to acknowledge is that our children will fall into the same trap.

G:
As for this remark:
Quote:Originally Posted by Jozi101:Please do so. I'd like to shred it to bits.
Me: It surely does not help! You have a major problem! A big one!
(major problem! is linked to: http://www.ushmm.org/museum/exhibit/online/bookburning/author.php
A big one! is linked to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_burning)


H:
Quote:Originally Posted by Jozi101:Why are you guys so eager to be called africans all of a sudden
Me: Africans vs Afrikaans: Uhmmmmm ....

I:
Quote: Originally Posted by Jozi101: Africans are an incompetent bunch cannot govern themselves without #@%ing it up remember
Me: Some are - when they become so rabid about issues that they deny reality.

J:
Me: As for the definition of African - note my previous comment. (History repeating itself - in reverse?)

K:
Me: I can go on like this ... but before I am labeled a a racist, I notice no entries for some of the traditional Khoikhoi leaders

L:
Me: Maybe we should go back to the borders of 400 years ago. This would mean less problems for the Western Cape .... (or has that part of history also been dropped by the wayside?)

M:
Jozi - Catch a wake up! No matter what language you speak, what your colour, etc etc - read this!! If you do not like it, you know where to go!
(read this!! is linked to http://www.sahistory.org.za/pages/governence-projects/constitution/constitution.htm )

N:
Me: (I seriously hope this was simply a trolling excercise, Jozi)
(Note: there is no question mark in the last remark. It is a statement.)

...and just for a bit of spice, I am saying you are trolling: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll
 
Last edited:
People don't need to say it, they are still repeating it in their minds, like you are. Your grandfather had more dignity when he said it, than you do today acting like you do. Speak to him about the white people, am sure he hates us less than you do. I am sure he respects us, not out of fear though. You must respect others, your current attitude makes you pathetic.
It must be tough for you because nowadays respect is earned and you can no longer inherit it at birth by virtue of being an afrikaner... :D
 
Okay, so let us break it up then into more manageable chunks. Which part is nonsense? A yes or no will suffice, then we can get into a real a discussion .... (maybe we should start a Jozi thread?)

A:


Any problems with this observations?

B:


Any problem with the right of anybody to look for his cultural roots in any history reference?

C:


D:


E:


F:


G:

(major problem! is linked to: http://www.ushmm.org/museum/exhibit/online/bookburning/author.php
A big one! is linked to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_burning)


H:


I:


J:


K:


L:


M:

(read this!! is linked to http://www.sahistory.org.za/pages/governence-projects/constitution/constitution.htm )

N:

(Note: there is no question mark in the last remark. It is a statement.)

...and just for a bit of spice, I am saying you are trolling: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

I'm too busy for all that man. For some reason i feel sorry for you. You just sound really sad. More than edc even. :D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X