The Alternatives to Telkom

riggs_9mmp

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2005
Messages
221
Reaction score
0
I have decided to rid myself of the Telkom yoke as far as possible. I would like this thread to be a clear and up to date account of viable alternatives to Telkom - not only broadband, but other services as well.

I use Telkom as follows:

1. Landline at my home office, for personal and work calls and faxes, as well as internet access mainly to download mail and surf a bit. The best speed that this line connects at is 37.5.
2. I have a Vodacom Talk 240 contract
3. At my other office I have an ADSL line, and 2 TelkomISP accounts, for my LAN users and downloads.

I'm in a small coastal town where there is no 3G coverage as far as I know. My primary concern is my usage at home - how can I cut Telkom out?

Any advice (based on actual experience) will be much appreciated.
 
Use Senetch's MyWirless Classic
And a Skype Phone
 
Yor realise that vodacom is owned by telkom and that most data, international is going thru telkom and that most people will have a cell phone/telkom line which when making calls from a cell will go thru telkom line and so you cannot escape paying something to them except by perhaps not being in the country.
 
Even in a moderately sized city like PE there's no sentech or iBurst - I wonder if they have some sort of agreement with telkom.
 
Did this thread really need 5 more posts? I answered it in the first reply, the low bandwidth version :P
 
Sadly, I'm with Donaldza... I am presently frustrated to tears with Telkom's lack of service and lack of concern. But there's nowhere else to go...

Juice
 
Well firstly change to MTN or CellC, dont use vodacom. Skype isn't going to nearly replace your phone line so that hardly helps, bbut use it were you can. With the internet there is probably a smallish wireless operator that provides uncapped internet like most do, the usual price is R600 for 128kb. Uninet does Knysna and the whole helderberg region is covered ect. just check that option. But with no 3g coverage youre probably stuck till the SNO comes. You can atleast change from Telkom as your ISP, they have the worst prices anyway.
 
switch to MTN and use GPRS/EDGE/3G for internet access. Most (if not all yet) MTN towers are EDGE enabled.

we will be better able to assist if we know in which small coastal town you live.
 
use GPRS - MTN or CellC
If as you say, you get 37.5k and it is mostly email and occassional surfing (web browsing?), GPRS will not be that much slower.
 
use the post office for your mail and read the newspaper instead of browsing the web....
Telkom shapes the line so much, it will probably be faster.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X