Gone with DStv

Steve Hofmeyr’s supporters are following his lead by cancelling their DStv accounts and destroying their DStv satellite dishes and decoders.

On Thursday, Hofmeyr posted a video on Facebook where he cancelled his DStv account, destroyed his DStv decoder by driving over it, and took his satellite dish off his roof.

He also offered a R10,000 cash prize to encourage people to do the same and cancel their DStv subscription.

This follows MultiChoice’s decision to remove all content featuring Hofmeyr from DStv, Showmax, and other platforms it controls.

MultiChoice Group Executive for Corporate Affairs Joe Heshu explained that the company made this decision because Hofmeyr’s views are not aligned with MultiChoice’s values.

“We welcome a society where freedom of speech is celebrated, however we take a stand against racism,” said Heshu.

Big impact on Afrikaans movies and actors

The Rapport newspaper reported that MultiChoice’s decision was slated by other Afrikaans artists and movies producers.

Andre Frauenstein, who co-produced the movie Treurgrond which features Steve Hofmeyr, said he is considering legal action against MultiChoice’s decision.

He said MultiChoice purchased the rights to exclusively show the movie on its platforms for the next 10 years, but the ban means no one will be able to watch the movie now.

Frauenstein added that MultiChoice’s “short-sighted” decision impacts the actors and has serious financial implications for the sponsors and companies with product placements in the movie.

Pretville producer Linda Korsten shared Frauenstein’s concerns, saying they are losing money and exposure because of MultiChoice’s decision.

“How can MultiChoice punish the producer of the movie and all the other actors because they have a problem with one person who plays a character in the film?” she asked.

Unique situation

Well-known movie reviewer Leon van Nierop told Rapport that while content has been banned from platforms, it is unique to ban content where a person is featured in the content.

MyBroadband asked MultiChoice whether it has previously banned content featuring a person because their views were not aligned with that of the company, but the company did not answer this question.

MultiChoice would also not say whether it is considering banning further content from people whose views are not aligned with that of the company.

DStv boycott

With many people saying they have cancelled their DStv subscription because of MultiChoice’s decision, it raises the question if the company is feeling the impact of its decision.

Spur, for example, suffered significant reputational and financial damage following a race incident at one of its restaurants.

MultiChoice was asked whether it is concerned about the DStv boycott, but the company did not respond.

It also did not say whether it has seen an increase in DStv cancellations in recent days.

Video about DStv cancellations

The videos below, posted on social media, form part of the DStv boycott following MultiChoice’s decision to remove all content featuring Steve Hofmeyr.

Others doing the same

The photos below come from videos posted by supporters of Hofmeyr who followed his lead.

Now read: DStv boycott – R10,000 offered for cutting the cord

Latest news

Partner Content

Show comments

Recommended

Share this article
Gone with DStv