DStv is facing stiff competition from streaming services like Netflix as well as piracy, but it is fighting back by offering its subscribers an enhanced online experience through its DStv Now service.
Through DStv Now subscribers can watch their favourite movies, TV programmes, and live sports on a wide range of devices.
The service comes free with a DStv and PVR subscription and is available through a web app or iOS and Android mobile apps.
MultiChoice continues to invest in the platform, and recent changes to the DStv Now web app include:
- New channel browse feature – Users can scroll through available channels while continuing to watch current channel.
- Picture in picture – It is useful for keeping an eye on sports or the news in a corner of the desktop while doing other work.
- Revised sign-up process flow – It is simplified and easier to navigate.
- Better content discovery once signed in – It changes to billboards and content rows.
- Updated look and feel – Better use of content graphics.
- New customer care chat platform.
MultiChoice Connected Video head of communications Richard Boorman told MyBroadband that there are many more new features to come.
These enhancements include more personalisation features, improved recommendations, reduced data usage, and new usability features.
The company has also made improvements to its DStv Now Android and iOS mobile apps, which include:
- Picture-in-picture was introduced on Android late last year, and DStv is now working on rolling it out to other platforms.
- A channel surfing feature was introduced on iOS in February and has now been released on Android (version 2.1.25).
- A revised sign-up process flow.
- Better content discovery, which include changes to content rows.
- Simplified navigation.
- An improved Live TV browse section so users can expand and view details about what is airing and set remote recordings to their internet connected Explora within Live TV.
“As with the web app, we’re also working on more personalisation features, improved recommendations, reduced data usage, and new usability features,” Boorman said.
The screenshots below show the enhancements to the DStv Now web app.