The 2012 Olympic Games proved a busy time for Twitter, as the microblogging platform saw its most active period ever.
Over the 16-day event, there were over 150 million tweets about the Olympics.
The biggest moment was when Usain Bolt won gold in the 200m sprint, resulting in over 80,000 tweets per minute (TPM).
After Bolt won the 100m sprint there were 74,000 TPM.
Andy Murray’s win in the men’s tennis singles final saw over 57,000 TPM.
While these milestones were hit after the events, the biggest mid-competition tweeting session came in the climax of the USA-Spain men’s basketball final.
The following Olympians accumulated more than 1 million Tweets each in the span of the event.
1.Usain Bolt (@UsainBolt)
2. Michael Phelps (@MichaelPhelps)
3. Tom Daley (@TomDaley1994)
4. Ryan Lochte (@ryanlochte)
5. Gabby Douglas (@gabrielledoug)
6. Andy Murray (@andy_murray)
7. Kobe Bryant (#GetKobeOnTwitter)
8. Yohan Blake (@YohanBlake)
9. Lee Chong Wei (@Lee_C_Wei)
10. LeBron James (@KingJames)