Huawei announced at the beginning of July that its new EMUI 9.1 operating system upgrade would begin rolling out for selected devices.
The OS update includes a host of new features, including the third iteration of Huawei’s GPU Turbo technology, which improves gaming performance while reducing power consumption.
GPU Turbo 3 now supports over 25 of the most popular Android games, making Huawei smartphones one of the best choices for mobile gamers.
This software update delivers a serious boost to smartphone performance and enables a number of brand new functions while bringing other newer features to older smartphones.
Below are a few of the biggest upgrades coming in the EMUI 9.1 update for South African Huawei users:
- Extendable Read-Only File System (EROFS) – Improves overall device performance by approximately 20% up to 63.3MB/s, while also saving more than 2GB of system storage.
- Huawei Vlog – Allows users to create and share 10-second videos using the native Huawei video editor, and also enables slow-motion and fast-motion videos.
- Huawei Video Ringtone – Allows users to set up their favourite video as the default ringtone for their contacts.
- Huawei Share OneHop – Simply tap your phone to your Huawei computer to send files in seconds.
- Interface – One-handed gesture navigation and dynamic screen resizing, as well as a simpler and more intuitive user interface.
The rollout of EMUI 9.1 has already begun, but it will continue throughout the rest of this year.
During the launch of the Y9 Prime 2019 in South Africa, Huawei outlined its update schedule for a wide range of devices, including everything from its P30 Lite to last year’s version of the P Smart.
There are no specific dates for each smartphone’s EMUI 9.1 update, but the company provided a rough outline for its planned rollout.
Users will also need to accept the pending upgrade through their smartphone’s settings menu before they are updated to the newer operating system.
They will be sent a notification when the update is ready to be downloaded and installed.
It is important to note that some smartphones will not support all EMUI 9.1 features, but all Huawei devices which are scheduled to receive the upgrade will benefit from the 20% overall performance boost and storage space optimisation.
Below is the schedule for Huawei’s EMUI 9.1 rollout, providing a rough outline of when you can expect your device to receive the improved software.
Some overlap is considered in the rollout schedule below, as it is expected that updates will launch during the first month listed or – at the latest – during the beginning of the latter month.
|Huawei EMUI 9.1 Update Schedule|
|P20 Lite||P Smart|
|Mate 20 Pro||P20|
|P20 Pro||Mate RS|
|Mate 10||Mate 10 Porsche Design|
|Mate 9||Mate 20 Lite|
|P30 Lite||Y5 2019|
|Y6 2019||P Smart 2019|
|Y9 Prime 2019|