Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: On-the-road fee

It is quite challenging to get out of paying an OTR fee when buying a new car due to profit margins on new cards being very low..allegedly. Insisting on a breakdown invoice for the OTR costs usually gets the dealership to lower it significantly.

Second hand car; tell them to completely waiver it or go somewhere else. They make enough profit on the sale as it is.

I saw the dealer costs when buying my IX35 as the salesman had mistakenly included it in the spreadsheet with the quote. Their gross margin is 1/3 of the total you pay and you pay for everything that is "free". The maintenance plan that is "free" and "included" in the cost is actually just added to the figures. If you do not pay the OTR fees then the dealer cannot give you a "gift" because you would not have paid for it.
    I am currently negotiating a deal and am waiting for the breakdown of these costs, the salesperson starting pulling things from the air when I asked for the breakdown such as FICA and FAIS costs, which are probably just a load of bull.
    Another thing that they would like you to think is mandatory is the initiation fees for any finance agreement for a vehicle (R1000 plus VAT). It is not mandatory and MAY be charged. I negotiated with Wesbank and do not pay this fee. I do pay the R57 admin fee on a monthly basis as I understand that they lose their revenue stream when I pay off the vehicle early without any early termination fees, which they can no longer charge.

Just paid R4,500
    Jägermeiʃter can fix that!

Super Grandmaster

this damn fee irks me. dude remove the name of the company and upload the spreadsheet. would make interesting reading.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
    Just paid R4,500
    Why?
    I walk out of deals because of the so called OTR fees - was this close to getting a Mazda but ended up with a Jazz because the Jazz salesmen negotiated those fees.

I will refuse to buy any car that comes with an OTR fee. Plain and simple.

Its a rip off (and sorry Fazda, I know your feelings on this issue) as far as I'm concerned, these costs are part of doing business and should be included in the price of the vehicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Korn1 View Post
    I have been called a retard my whole life

I was interested in an car advertised for R 200 000 in 2012, went through the whole process and when I was about to sign the finance agreement noticed that the installment was higher than I expected. Only after making a fuss about it did the get back to me and all of a sudden the price had gone up to R 214 000 - with OTR and Admin fees etc.... - Told them to shove it just out of principle. These guys bargain on the fact that you'll either be too exited about getting a car to notice what they've added or be too stupid to care.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ToxicBunny View Post
    I will refuse to buy any car that comes with an OTR fee. Plain and simple.

Its a rip off (and sorry Fazda, I know your feelings on this issue) as far as I'm concerned, these costs are part of doing business and should be included in the price of the vehicle.
    I'm confused...

Quote Originally Posted by Fazda View Post
    Totally CRAZY!!

I sold new and second hand cars and the "admin" fee was a total thumb suck by the Dealer principal....however, you can INSIST on simply paying for licence and registration, plus a 'thank you" tip to the garage for going to all that trouble for you...absolute daylight robbery.

If they tried that with me they would suddenly lose a sale!
    Did I miss a post somewhere else where Fazda changed his views?
    Ach! Crivens!

#ProudlySouthAfrican

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by flarkit View Post
    I'm confused...

other discussions...

Blog Entries

I'm confused...

No you didn't - I think what he was referring to was the fact that I don't have a problem paying OTR fees for tangibles, such as Licence, Registration, Numberplates and a tank of petrol.

I've said it before, Our fee was R 2950, and covered, Lic, Reg, Number plates, fitted carpet mats throughout, and a full tank of petrol. Anything over that is a rip-off.

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    Hi guys,

We're in the process of purchasing a second hand car from a dealer for R75 000, they're charging an admin "on-the-road" fee of R2500 for delivery of the vehicle. This includes registration and all the relevant paper work.

Is this the average fee? Just seems a bit steep to me...
    I'd say the average is R3500 ex vat
    Guns don't kill people.
    George RR Martin kills people.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by eehellfire View Post
    I'd say the average is R3500 ex vat
    That's steep - ours was R 2950 including VAT, so the Jeep deal is reasonable.

I'm confused...

He never changed his mind.. His fees were more reasonable, and based on actual tangible things though (as he has said), but I still disagree with having to pay them at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Korn1 View Post
    I have been called a retard my whole life

Blog Entries

I see. I could agree with being offered the OTR items as an option, for a fee. Having them forced on you just seems greedy IMO.
    Ach! Crivens!

#ProudlySouthAfrican

Quote Originally Posted by Fazda View Post
    No you didn't - I think what he was referring to was the fact that I don't have a problem paying OTR fees for tangibles, such as Licence, Registration, Numberplates and a tank of petrol.

I've said it before, Our fee was R 2950, and covered, Lic, Reg, Number plates, fitted carpet mats throughout, and a full tank of petrol. Anything over that is a rip-off.
    So I got quite a good deal, then? R2 500 for license, registration, plates, half a tank of diesel, smash-and-grab film and delivery to our office.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast