You should join our great online community now - you can win great prizes
Register now
You should subscribe to our free MyBroadband newsletter

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cellphone signal jamming is illegal in SA

Default Cellphone signal jamming is illegal in SA

Cellphone jamming illegal: ICASA

ICASA has said that the jamming of cellular phone signals is deemed illegal in South Africa

Where's the talk about LLU it's the 1st tomorrow they come and talk about JAMS... apricot, strawberry... it's all the same. Where's the LLU Discussion IKAKSA?

Yet a quick Google search showed at least 3 local companies (if they are legitimate or even exist) that offer them on the internet:

http://www.spytek.co.za/cellphone-ja...nd-held-model/
    http://spystore.co.za/security/pocke...ne-jammer.html
    http://www.vikbros.wozaonline.co.za/...item_id=023001

The first thing is that this is not news. The Gazette is from 2002 and MyBB has had similar articles on this and since nothing has changed why... ugh nevermind.

A more pertinent point is how can we report said companies to ensure their ****ty hardware stays out of the hand of irresponsible users thereof?
    Last edited by T3rminator; 31-10-2012 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Typo
    This is my world, and you're not welcome in my world.

Another question I had is whether there is any general regulations on jamming, for example, 88-108MHz Public radio and GPS signals?
    This is my world, and you're not welcome in my world.

I have been in hotels in the middle of Sandton where there is all of a sudden no 3G signal in the conference section, but walk a few meters away and all of a sudden you have full signal. Both MTN and Vodacom sims showed the same.... had me wondering, are certain hotels blocking 3G so that you have to purchase their exorbitantly priced Wi-Fi.... Just wondering....

Quote Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
    Yet a quick Google search showed at least 3 local companies (if they are legitimate or even exist) that offer them on the internet:

http://www.spytek.co.za/cellphone-ja...nd-held-model/
    http://spystore.co.za/security/pocke...ne-jammer.html
    http://www.vikbros.wozaonline.co.za/...item_id=023001

The first thing is that this is not news. The Gazette is from 2002 and MyBB has had similar articles on this and since nothing has changed why... ugh nevermind.

A more pertinent point is how can we report said companies to ensure their ****ty hardware stays out of the hand of irresponsible users thereof?
    Aaah... ta. That could be useful for when the kids spend too much time on their phones before bed

Quote Originally Posted by Duan View Post
    I have been in hotels in the middle of Sandton where there is all of a sudden no 3G signal in the conference section, but walk a few meters away and all of a sudden you have full signal. Both MTN and Vodacom sims showed the same.... had me wondering, are certain hotels blocking 3G so that you have to purchase their exorbitantly priced Wi-Fi.... Just wondering....
    Good point...

Quote Originally Posted by Duan View Post
    I wish they'd do this in cinemas.

Super Grandmaster Compton_effect's Avatar
    Outer arm - Milky Way/Sagittarius Cluster

Funny thing but I'm with Vodacom and if I drive past MTN on the N1 while on the phone - I always get a dropped call...

Quote Originally Posted by Compton_effect View Post
    Funny thing but I'm with Vodacom and if I drive past MTN on the N1 while on the phone - I always get a dropped call...
    That has nothing to do with mtn. Vodacom will drop your call for you anywhere, any time.

The mtn signal in Constantia office park is also abysmal btw.

Who would bother to phone the police knowing full well that there would not be a response?
    And this is the bottom line.

Super Grandmaster

The kind of shady people who are going to block cellphone signals are not going to care whether ICASA has declared this illegal or not. This equipment is easy to get hold of anyway.

+ Reply to Thread