Sir Alex Ferguson Retires, Man Utd Confirms

Happy days.

Actually why would I care since we are not in the same league any more :cry:

Was fun watching the derby matches.
 
Last edited:
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/05/08/sport/football/uk-manchester-united-ferguson/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Alex Ferguson retires as Manchester United manager


London (CNN) -- Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson is retiring after more than a quarter of a century at the helm, the soccer club announced Wednesday.

The 71-year-old Scot has managed the English club -- which is listed on the New York Stock Exchange and has millions of fans around the world -- since 1986.

During more than two decades at the helm, Ferguson has won more than 30 trophies, including 13 league championships and two Champions League wins.

Sad times. End of a legendary era. Thank you, Sire Alex, for all the great times and games.
 
He's free to coach Muntadhar al-Zaidi now. :D

“Going forward, I am delighted to take on the roles of both Director and Ambassador for the club. With these activities, along with my many other interests, I am looking forward to the future.

“I must pay tribute to my family, their love and support has been essential. My wife Cathy has been the key figure throughout my career"

Legend.
 
Not really. He's brought it up before.

He has a couple of times. There was even that 'official' last season of his a couple years back. Honestly thought he would have *at least* one more go at it. Sign off with another treble.
 
http://news.sky.com/story/1088181/sir-alex-ferguson-retires-as-man-utd-manager


Alex Ferguson's Statement
Updated: 9:38am UK, Wednesday 08 May 2013

Manchester United has called him the most successful manager in English football history.



Announcing his decision to retire, Sir Alex Ferguson said:

"The decision to retire is one that I have thought a great deal about and one that I have not taken lightly. It is the right time.

"It was important to me to leave an organisation in the strongest possible shape and I believe I have done so. The quality of this league winning squad, and the balance of ages within it, bodes well for continued success at the highest level whilst the structure of the youth set-up will ensure that the long-term future of the club remains a bright one.

"Our training facilities are amongst the finest in global sport and our home Old Trafford is rightfully regarded as one of the leading venues in the world.

"Going forward, I am delighted to take on the roles of both Director and Ambassador for the club. With these activities, along with my many other interests, I am looking forward to the future.

"I must pay tribute to my family, their love and support has been essential. My wife Cathy has been the key figure throughout my career, providing a bedrock of both stability and encouragement. Words are not enough to express what this has meant to me.

"As for my players and staff, past and present, I would like to thank them all for a staggering level of professional conduct and dedication that has helped to deliver so many memorable triumphs. Without their contribution the history of this great club would not be as rich.

"In my early years, the backing of the board, and Sir Bobby Charlton in particular, gave me the confidence and time to build a football club, rather than just a football team.

"Over the past decade, the Glazer family have provided me with the platform to manage Manchester United to the best of my ability and I have been extremely fortunate to have worked with a talented and trustworthy Chief Executive in David Gill. I am truly grateful to all of them.

"To the fans, thank you. The support you have provided over the years has been truly humbling. It has been an honour and an enormous privilege to have had the opportunity to lead your club and I have treasured my time as manager of Manchester United."
 
Time to sit back a bit and enjoy the Everest size pile of money he has.
 
The end of an era, shocking news. Wow so mourinho or moyes?

If I was a Man U fan I wouldn't want either tbh. I'd say get Jupp Heynckes. He's retiring yes? Well get Fergie on the phone with him to make him an offer he can't refuse.
 
That was a little unexpected :/

He's got a hip operation planned in August I hear. He always said he would keep going until his health started becoming an issue. Maybe this was a part of the decison making process for him.

Being a listed company, they are required to advise cautionaries for any major management changes. It doesn't get much bigger than this for Man U, I guess.

It is good to see that he will still be a part of the club.

Wonderful for him that he goes on the back of another league win.
 
Mourinho to take over? Or you think he's the wrong personality for the club...? Guardiola is off to Bayern right?
 
Good hahaha! League is open now. More exciting. Too bad he is going to be the Director of the club. They would be nothing without the influence he has on the whole game.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X